my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » carrier landings...

Author Topic: carrier landings...
AlphaWolf
Member # 7425

posted 10-27-2000 06:43 PM     Profile for AlphaWolf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ive been flyin flight sims fer some time now, but its been a LONG time since ive done carrier landings, any good hints other than the advice in the manual on how to pull off a decent landing consistently?
thanx - the wolf.

Posts: 11 | From: edmonton, alberta, canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
ProzacPain
Member # 7328

posted 10-27-2000 07:04 PM     Profile for ProzacPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Follow the LSO's advice even when you think he is wrong and you will find out you complete the landing more often than not. Don't try to flare, just fly the plane onto the deck with a slow rate of decent but not too slow a speed, otherwise you won't be able to see the deck as your angle of attack will be too high.

Also if you miss the wires just go full throttle and take off again otherwise you'll end up in the drink every time.

The plane seems to be able to take a harder landing on the deck than it does on a runway... keep that in mind. Don't be afraid to set her down hard but don't do a nose dive onto it either.
Also you don't have to be totally centered on the deck, one time i landed sort of off to the side and i thought the superstructure was gonna rip my wing off (like in one of those cool war films showing bad landings) but luckily my wing just clipped through the superstructure like it wasn't even there. Fine with me! hehe.

Posts: 68 | From: Jacksonville FL USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nimits
Member # 7442

posted 10-28-2000 01:46 AM     Profile for Nimits   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, I think it is easier to land on a carrier than on the small island bases. On the land bases. I either end up rolling of the runway and into the ocean, or flip over trying to brake. (Yeah, I know I am coming in too fast.)
MeatWater
Member # 1346

posted 10-28-2000 03:43 AM     Profile for MeatWater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The reason why you can put it down harder on a carrier must be the wood planks the deck is made of.
Posts: 139 | From: Munster, Germany | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Nimits
Member # 7442

posted 10-28-2000 04:50 AM     Profile for Nimits   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, the wire catches your plane right away, as well.
Jv44~Siggi
Member # 7455

posted 10-28-2000 05:07 AM     Profile for Jv44~Siggi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I found the perfect solution to those carrier landings...wheels up and belly in. Works everytime and never a reprimand yet.

Nick, I have a 1/48th Corsair with your name on it.

------------------
Taka Chutai

Posts: 226 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Buster Brown
Member # 6559

posted 10-28-2000 08:29 PM     Profile for Buster Brown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Seems like they just don't make landing gear as sturdy as they used to. After making 2 good landings in a row, I think I got a little heavy on this one. LOL

------------------
Eat more Possum :)

Posts: 883 | From: Hot Springs, Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
RAY
Member # 3639

posted 10-28-2000 08:41 PM     Profile for RAY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL great screenshot!
Posts: 107 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MeatWater
Member # 1346

posted 10-28-2000 08:49 PM     Profile for MeatWater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Siggi, glad to hear you're still into building these things...a 1/48 Corsair...(gasp!) looking at the two "pearls" in our livingroom I can imagine how that baby looks. And to all those who don't know what I am talking about: Take a look at THIS:
http://www.virtualsports.purespace.de/

------------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^
MeatWater

AudioVisual Design
http://www.meatwater.com
[email protected]
http://www.creadesign.de

Posts: 139 | From: Munster, Germany | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.