my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Wells can you take a look at the B-24 FM?

Author Topic: Wells can you take a look at the B-24 FM?
slugged
Member # 1255

posted 10-26-2000 09:30 PM     Profile for slugged   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was flying around in the B-24 really just to get some external views. But I noticed that even at 250 knots the airplane required too much back pressure on the stick to remain in level flight. I would think at that speed it would stay pretty much straight and level with hands off.

slugged

Wells
Member # 7315

posted 10-26-2000 11:03 PM     Profile for Wells   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll take a look at it this weekend.
riordan
Member # 810

posted 10-27-2000 10:05 AM     Profile for riordan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wells,

What sort of research do you do for your FMs?

just curious...

riordan

Posts: 202 | From: SA,TX,US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wells
Member # 7315

posted 10-27-2000 04:56 PM     Profile for Wells   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For American fighters, I'm using a book called 'America's Hundred Thousand' by Francis H. Dean. It has performance graphs for power vs altitude, speed and climb vs altitude, roll rate, weight schedules, control surface deflection angles, airfoils used, you name it. Alot of the stuff in this book comes from the flight manuals of the aircraft, which I have for the F6f, F4u, P-38, P-39 and A6m5. Flight manuals are good for getting manifold pressures, power output and fuel grade info as well as stall speeds with flaps up and down with corresonding instrument error. Some airspeed indicators had error of about 15 mph!

Since the airfoils used are available for most of these planes, one can analyze the airfoils for lift, drag, and pitching moment coefficients using some good software. Some sources of this data can be found:
http://amber.aae.uiuc.edu/~m-selig/ads/coord_database.html

and then analyzed here:
http://beadec1.ea.bs.dlr.de/Airfoils/

or here:
www.hanleyinnovations.com/

This one is always good too:
http://techreports.larc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/NTRS

and this one:
http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/org4-8.htm

Another good book is 'Report of Joint Fighter conference" (ISBN: 0-7643-0404-6)

Wells
Member # 7315

posted 10-30-2000 08:10 PM     Profile for Wells   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
slugged,

Go into the aircraft.cfg for the B-24 and change the line for the empty_weight_CG_position. Make it so it reads like the other planes.

empty_weight_CG_position= 0.0, 0, 0

Then fix the nose wheel so it doesn't result in prop strikes when you hit the brakes. That's the line in the [contact_points] section. Copy this into it for point.0

point.0=1, 15.50, 0.00, -12.30, 1400, 0, 1.50, 42.7, 0.4, 2.5, 0.70, 6.0, 7.0, 0

The 0.4 value is what changes the rigidness of the nosewheel.

Kraut
Member # 513

posted 10-31-2000 05:57 AM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it flies nice. Just adjust the elev. trim. On our setup I also noticed I have to put some left trim in as well to level wings out.
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Posts: 754 | From: Kitchener Ont. Can. | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.