my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Cache size in advanced settings: Bigger is better?

Author Topic: Cache size in advanced settings: Bigger is better?
plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 10-26-2000 06:29 AM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't really understand what this is doing, but i made an interesting find:
I have a mission I downloaded, a pearl harbor attack mission. Tons of ships and aircraft, and some nice flak. This mission is very intense on the pc. I had had trouble with the framerates dropping and some bad stuttering when the batle was joined and everything was happening.
When I first installed cfs2. I increases from the default a few megs. But as I was experimenting with trying to smooth this mission out, I took a wild guess and incresed this cache setting to 500MB. Now I know this is probably way more than it needs to be, but this REALLY smoothed things out stutter wisw and gave me a couple extra fps to boot. Try it, it may help.
If someone can tell me what this is doing? Is it creating a separate disk cache of frequently used textures etc??

Posts: 570 | From: Graham WA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Teisco
Member # 7528

posted 10-26-2000 12:31 PM     Profile for Teisco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, whats the deal with this?
dfritch
Member # 745

posted 10-26-2000 09:15 PM     Profile for dfritch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Please tell me like I am two:

Where is this in advanced settings? I don't see it.

------------------
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Posts: 142 | From: Lenexa, Kansas USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
slugged
Member # 1255

posted 10-27-2000 07:32 AM     Profile for slugged   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think if you go "Settings" you will see the cach size thing in the lower right hand corner. Going from memory here. It's default setting is 10meg I think. I set mine to 100meg. Also another trick for people with Voodoo3 cards and weak CPUs is to change the object texture size to 256. I think the default is 512. Also if you take ground textures down a notch. I have a celeron 300a oc'd to 450 and this allowed me to increase the resolution to 800x600 and still get ok frame rates.

slugged

Doc Halliday
Member # 1242

posted 10-27-2000 07:47 AM     Profile for Doc Halliday     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nope!

Go to the Main CFS2 folder, look for the "scenery.cfg" file. Open that and the first line is the texture cache line. It's defaluted at 10 meg. I increased mine to 200 to see what would happen and so far, I haven't seen much difference. I have an 8 meg Rage mobility card in a laptop though so I may not see anything different....

Posts: 121 | From: Syracuse, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wired
Member # 3457

posted 10-27-2000 09:35 AM     Profile for Wired   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi All,

Increasing the cache size in the game to 250 has improved everything for me. I now can max out everything. I am getting on average around 30 FPS. It is now very smooth. The only time I experience a jerk in the frame rate is when a plane explodes in front of me.

My System is an AMD K6-2 500Mhz with 128MB of PC100, a Voodoo 5500 APG card.

Over and Out
Wired

Posts: 47 | From: Quakertown, PA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
riordan
Member # 810

posted 10-27-2000 09:48 AM     Profile for riordan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What install did you guys choose? There was, and still is, a huge debate raging on www.avsim.com regarding this setting in FS2K. General wisdom with FS2K is that is you do the full install, there is no gain by increasing cache size, as it already has direct access to scenery on the disk. Some claim that large cache actually slows FS2K down as it copies the scenery out to a cache then presents it to the game.

As all of this is based on a clunkier engine than CFS2, I am curious as to what install you have.

riordan

Posts: 202 | From: SA,TX,US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Truro
Member # 679

posted 10-27-2000 10:04 AM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Slugged, I have a 300a/450 and a V3 rig also. I suggest you turn down DEM and terrain complexity sliders, they are dragging the SSE lacking celeron down. Also ground shadows off. That alows me to run 1280x1024, as the V3 can run that res and still be waiting on the cpu. Well maybe only 1024 if you have a default V3 2000 not overclocked to 166 or more..
Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wired
Member # 3457

posted 10-27-2000 10:14 AM     Profile for Wired   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
riordan,

I have a full install of CFS2. Before I increased the cache size, to 250mb, my scenery was jerky, and I could not max everything out without sacrificing frame rates. Now it doesn't matter how many planes are flying, the scenery is smooth and frame rate stays around 30.

As I said in my earlier post, the only time I take a frame rate hit is when a plane explodes directly in front of me. Increasing the cache size works for me on my system.

Over and Out
Wired

Posts: 47 | From: Quakertown, PA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 10-27-2000 12:57 PM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
whoops - never mind.

[This message has been edited by Bill Hewett (edited 10-27-2000).]

Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 10-27-2000 01:40 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep did the full install, and increasing the cache setting definatly helped.
I don't understand why however, as there is nothing in the help files describing exactly what this does.

plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 10-27-2000 01:59 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, I got an answer to this question on the simhq cfs2 board:
"Yardstick
posted October 27, 2000 05:15 AM

If 'chache size' refers to 'texture cache' as in SDOE, then this will effect the size of the texture file stored in system
memory.

In SDOE this is set at 10mb by default causing the game to access the hard drive whenever new textures are needed. If
you only have a 10mb cache set, then the game will flush out the older textures and use the 10mb cache for textures
that are currently being accessed by the game. This causes the game to pause momentarily or stutter. The higher the
texture cache the less likely the game will have to re-load previously loaded textures when they are required again.
Hence once the game has initially loaded all the textures on starting a mission you should get no subsequent pauses.

The caveat to this is that you have to set your texture cache lower than your system memory. For SDOE I use 80mb (as
a typical mission used less than this, 80mb is more than enough, in CFS2 you may need more)

BTW: I have 256mb of ram)."

If correct, this would also lend creedence to the idea that memory in excess of 128MB DOES really help this sim.

Truro
Member # 679

posted 10-27-2000 02:07 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's a performance readme on the #1 CD called perf.rtf - right click on the cd drive and explore.

Some of it is vague but there's still info to be gleaned from it.

Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
MagenDavid
Member # 3784

posted 10-27-2000 07:52 PM     Profile for MagenDavid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"The caveat to this is that you have to set your texture cache lower than your system memory."

Plummerx,

BY system memory u mean RAM??
i have 256 Ram, so i guess a 200 cache should be fine for CFS2?

plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 10-28-2000 02:02 AM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, i have it set at 500 just for laughs, and i have 256MB of Ram, so if it is loading textures directly into memory, it's not 256MB worth.
char
Member # 3133

posted 10-28-2000 04:00 AM     Profile for char   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
interesting tip......I have 512 ram. I changed it 200M. Should I go higher?
Posts: 108 | From: Ketchum Idaho USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.