my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Admin: Is it possible to filter posts by specific users?

Author Topic: Admin: Is it possible to filter posts by specific users?
Vancouver
Member # 6550

posted 10-26-2000 12:12 AM     Profile for Vancouver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Admin,
Per the subject line; with this forum software is it possible to filter out posts from specific users?

Posts: 147 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Viper18372
Member # 6383

posted 10-26-2000 12:15 AM     Profile for Viper18372   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you're referring to me than....

If you are going to do anything to me or the other guys then give us a fair warning to stop, but until then keep those posts coming guys. This isn't the soviet Union, we have the right to post what ever we want under certain conditions

Come one Vancover be cool or i'll start thinking differently about canada.

~VIPER OUT

[This message has been edited by Viper18372 (edited 10-26-2000).]

Posts: 171 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Vancouver
Member # 6550

posted 10-26-2000 12:28 AM     Profile for Vancouver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not asking the admin to stop you, or anyone else, from posting. I don't agree with the content of what you're posting, your attitude, the amount of bandwidth you're wasting or the number of off-topic posts you're making, but that's your prerogative. I don't want to see it, so I'm asking the admin if the UBB forum software has filtering capabilities that will allow me to choose not to see posts from specific users.

How you read into that that you're being persecuted, I have no idea. Martyr complex perhaps?

Viper18372
Member # 6383

posted 10-26-2000 12:33 AM     Profile for Viper18372   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh so it limits what you see not everyone else. Ok then, if you find it offensive so be it, i don't need you around stinkin my life up. Everyone seems to enjoy it. If you don't like it than don't look at it, god what a whiner.

Choose sides.

~VIPER OUT

Viper18372
Member # 6383

posted 10-26-2000 12:41 AM     Profile for Viper18372   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Live free or die!!!!!!!!!!!

~VIPER OUT

Vancouver
Member # 6550

posted 10-26-2000 12:51 AM     Profile for Vancouver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Stinking up your life? Seems like your life's stinking up a storm all on its own. Here's a sampling of your wisdom, from the Il-2 forum.
http://www.combatsim.com/ubb/Forum60/HTML/000016.html

[Admin Note: I've deleted the example posted here of Viper18732's post in the IL-2 forum. It was too offensive even to be quoted.]

[This message has been edited by Admin (edited 10-26-2000).]

nealg
Member # 592

posted 10-26-2000 01:01 AM     Profile for nealg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dang it. Ok, if it is a personal filter, I can see no problem...but I am against censorship for the sake of censorship, regardless of the reason. Like anything, if something misleads you - say, a TV program advertised as a family film but containing fully 'adult' content - then one has a right to be upset, and impose personal censorship on the offending party.

But, as long as one knows where one is going, one can choose not to go if one wishes, I think. And if one feels uncomfortable in a forum when posting, that they may be personally attacked or offended, then a request to a forum admin is justifiable...but quite possibly it is best to just avoid those situations if one can.

I can respect Vancouver's feelings in this, but have to agree with Viper. Personally, I haven't seen anything here yet that seems to warrant the request, and as was suggested, if a thread appears to be one that might be personally offensive, it might be best not to read it.

Just the .02 from a old man...

------------------
nealg=FC=

Posts: 50 | From: Tracy, Ca..USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 10-26-2000 01:04 AM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi all,

Vancouver, no you cannot, nor can I, filter posts.

I'm not naming names, but this is starting to sound like two ancient cultures born of the cradle of humanity who just can't seem to see eye to eye on anything.

Okay, nice little speeches aside, here's the deal with these forums:

Many eons ago, in the EAW forum, a community developed. This community liked to talk about EAW, the game, but also about life in general. Some folks back then thought the people yakking about non-EAW stuff were just wasting bandwidth and making it difficult for those interested in the sim to have a conversation. These same folks appealed to me to put an end to the off-topic material.

I gave it some thought, and then some more thought, and then I had an epiphany (no kidding, I really did). Forums, to that date, had always been about the game in question, but a new creature had evolved---the Forum Community. We take forum communities for granted these days, but back then, forum communities were a new species to us administrators outside of such ancient on-line cultures as CompuServe and AOL chat rooms.

So, back to my epiphany . . .I realized that the EAW forum wasn't just for talking about EAW per se, but that it was for people who liked EAW. The EAW forum suddenly, in a flash of light, transformed from a place to ask questions about EAW game, to being a place for people to convene that shared an interest in EAW. This different perspective completely changed my approach to, and administrative of, the EAW forum. When I passed this new found perspective on to the folks in the EAW forum, there was a sudden, and immediate gelling of the community.

As time went on, however, many standards had to be developed in order to respect the wishes of the "I-only-want-to-talk-about-the game" crowd. Babe posts and Germlish stories were two such posting flavours the aforementioned crowd didn't want to have to be exposed to, so an agreement by the members of that community was made to put the word "BABE" in all babe post subject lines, and "OT" for Off Topic in all off-topic nattering.

Peace reigned o'er the land. Occasional skirmishes broke out, but by this time the EAW community had evolved into a highly advanced species and I really didn't need to do much administering which is really great.

Now, from what I can see here, is that a more aggressive species has infiltrated into the ecosystem of an evolving species. EAW folks have brought their foreign customs, alien ways, and blue bottle flies into the pristine world of the newly evolving CFS2 world.

I see, and can agree, with both sides of the issue. To the EAW group I say this: go easy, try to let the CFS2 community find their own legs. Respect their wishes if you can. Better yet, find some common ground. This forum community doesn't need to be EXACTLY like the EAW community, that would be boring. To the CFS2 folks, I say this: be patient and try to learn what you can about forum life from the EAW guys. They have a very good community; a community that has several different groups with differing points of view that still manages to co-exist peacefully. In addition, I've never seen a community of "strangers" that genuinely cared more for it fellow posters. I've seen and read stuff in their forum that choked me up and had me reaching for a hanky.

So, see what you can do TOGETHER, before the Federation calls me on the sub-space frequency and I have to invoke some silly Prime Directive.

------------------
Douglas Helmer
Forum Administrator
[email protected]

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Admin
Administrator
Member # 1

posted 10-26-2000 01:10 AM     Profile for Admin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmmm,

I wasn't aware of the stuff Viper18372 had posted in the IL-2 forum (why don't people tell me this stuff).

Those sorts of posts are a one-way ticket to bansville.

------------------
Douglas Helmer
Forum Administrator
[email protected]

Posts: 2792 | From: COMBATSIM.COM | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Jv44~Siggi
Member # 7455

posted 10-26-2000 04:40 AM     Profile for Jv44~Siggi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doug, you rock.

------------------
Taka Chutai

Posts: 226 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
MaxxG
Member # 3371

posted 10-26-2000 06:30 AM     Profile for MaxxG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jv44~Siggi:
Doug, you rock.

Brown Noser!!!

Oh... for those you don't realize it... I am joking!!! Note the HAPPY face. Look, there's another one. and another!

Posts: 144 | From: Dartmouth, NS, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jv44~Siggi
Member # 7455

posted 10-26-2000 01:23 PM     Profile for Jv44~Siggi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I call it like I see it. And I need the practice in my quest for AUTHORITAH!.

------------------
Taka Chutai

Posts: 226 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
troy csa
Member # 7518

posted 10-26-2000 02:33 PM     Profile for troy csa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I HATE SNITCHES.........you know if i dont like a post i just bypass it after i see where its going.....i guess thats just to darn easy huh?
Posts: 38 | From: boca raton fl,usa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ajax
Member # 1986

posted 10-26-2000 05:36 PM     Profile for Ajax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doug, I salute you.

Vancouver
Member # 6550

posted 10-26-2000 05:38 PM     Profile for Vancouver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The best analogy to the online 'community' that Admin is talking about is Usenet. Usenet has evolved and suffered through the growing pains of an online 'community' for many more years than these message boards. Recognizing that any online community will have its share of trolls, village idiots and people generally worth ignoring, all of the popular newsreader clients support kill filters, allowing users to filter out posts from specific users or domains. If these message board 'communities' are to flourish in the way that Admin obviously hopes they will, something similar needs to be developed.

Troy csa, if you don't like it, why didn't you just follow your own advice and ignore it?

Wasp
Member # 3002

posted 10-26-2000 05:42 PM     Profile for Wasp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doug, You always put it so well !
Anyone got a babe for Doug ?
Wasp

------------------
Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem.
The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety.
Virgil's Aeneid

http://www.raf123uk.co.uk

Posts: 565 | From: Letchworth, Herts,England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
troy csa
Member # 7518

posted 10-26-2000 06:46 PM     Profile for troy csa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oh you gonna tell on me?
troy csa
Member # 7518

posted 10-26-2000 06:48 PM     Profile for troy csa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you sure are a tight [email protected]@ for 15 lol

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.