my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Some questions and observations

Author Topic: Some questions and observations
Hornit
Member # 962

posted 10-25-2000 11:55 PM     Profile for Hornit   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have had the sim for about a week now and I have been flying it a LOT! So far my impression is good but there are a few big issues.

First I have a few questions...When I installed, it gives an option for three different sizes. One is smaller, one is 820mb and one says 900 something. I tried the large one several times and the install hung upon entering the second CD every time. It installs fine with the 820mb setting and it appears to have everything but I'm wondering...I can't play the opening movie at all. It starts and hangs as soon as the ship gets into view...hard crash and must reset. The game runs fine if I just toggle by the movie quickly. Any thoughts?? I'm feeling like there is something wrong with CD #2 or the installer..

I have seen some references to Combatfs.cfg file which has some settings to tweak, but it is shown in my folder as a bitmap file and I cannot access it? What is up with that??

Other than these wierd things it's a nice game and the Fm seems fairly good. Damage model is nice too!

There are some annoying things though. Anyone seen the bug that drops your vid settings almost every other mission? That sucks, have seen that several times.

Views are not optimal, but they are workable. I HATE the external view control. Here we have these beautiful aircraft and I get dizzy trying to look at'em!

Somebody please fix the Betty's!

Zeros are catching me in the Corsair, even with a perfectly executed extension...tsk tsk, not good.

I am still geting little stuttering pauses when I flame a bad guy...even with details lowered on a PIII 750 @840 with a V5 and 128mb ram.

Stall behavior is a bit abrupt ( we should get a bit more warning) and the roll degradation after taking even minor damage is really annoying. The adverse yaw is a bit overmodeled IMHO.

Do any of you with rudder pedals have a centering rudder? What I mean is that the rudder should go back to center by itself with airloads. I am using the keyboard and If I displace it one way, it just stays there. In a real aircraft once you stop pushing on the rudder the slipstream centers it for you. In this sim it stays in last position which is just plain wrong. I think it needs to be fixed. Makes rudder control very difficult and due to this I'm using the auto rudder right now.

Other than these things I am realy enjoying this sim, even with it's lack of good multiplay. Is there any word on a patch for some of these issues? Just curious.

Hornit

Posts: 955 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Vancouver
Member # 6550

posted 10-26-2000 12:18 AM     Profile for Vancouver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hornit,

I'm using a set of CH Pedals (non-Pro) for rudder and yes, the rudder does self-centre. However, I'm not sure if this is because the pedals themselves are sprung or whether it's part of the game itself i.e. the rudder doesn't self-centre when using keyboard commands but does self-centre if the game detects an appropriate controller.

Posts: 147 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hunedog
Member # 94

posted 10-26-2000 12:56 AM     Profile for Hunedog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Try this, Start/Shutdown/Restart in MS-DOS Mode. At the c:windows> prompt Type deltree c:\windows\temp hit enter then type exit. This particular application doesn't like full temp folders. The dos method wipes it clean. Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by Hunedog (edited 10-26-2000).]

Posts: 516 | From: Vancouver BC Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hunedog
Member # 94

posted 10-26-2000 12:59 AM     Profile for Hunedog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BTW you'll need a full install if you want to play with the mission editor.
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 10-26-2000 06:43 AM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jeez Hornit, I wish I could help but I'm not seeing any of those symptoms. I was able to do a full install first attempt. Also my settings have not changed in a week of use [other than my tweaking]. As far as stuttering I haven't seen any with 256 MB RAM. Also the rudder does center upon neutralization for me (rocker on my Saitek X36 throttle to center).
I hope you're able to get this annoyances sorted out as it really is a fun sim.
edit: oh yeah, I did think of one thing. I increased my cache setting to 100 MB. I'm not sure this much was/is necessary but figured it couldn't hurt.

[This message has been edited by Bill Hewett (edited 10-26-2000).]

Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
riordan
Member # 810

posted 10-26-2000 07:39 AM     Profile for riordan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hornit,

First, nice to see you! I haven't been around the F/A-18 forum in awhile.
Second, my experience has been that most sims require you to recenter the rudder manually if you use kb. I seem to remember this from my HOTAS-less days. I use an X-36 USB, so no problems with rudder there.
Thrid, the install issue I think someone already addressed. However, you may try playing the movies out of CFS2. I think there is something wrong with the control they are using to play movies with. I cannot see any of the movies in game. I have to go browse to them and open them with Media Player. I am running WinME, however.
Fourth, regarding engine torque, it seems about right from what I have read. Following several WWII sims for a few years, I have seen lots of articles on this subject. CFS2 seems spot on, but I have never flown one of these a/c, only a C152
Fifth, the damage model is annoying with the roll issue, although at least they usually show damage to the wings. They really need to fix this.
Sixth, Wells has created some good FMs. Scan the forum for his name, you'll see a link to his FMs. Not sure if 1.5(latest version)includes the Betty, but if not there is a seperate air file for it.
Seventh, the combatfs.cfg is actually cfs2.cfg(i think...well I am at work, but I have played alot with mine). Just open notepad and then open it if your associations are screwed up. You can also go to any View...Folder Options dialog and hit the tab for File Types. Go find the proggie that is set to open your cfg now and remove the link to .cfg files. You can then use Open With to open it with notepad.
Eighth, I get good FPS with all detail sliders left at the default, all checkboxes on, except AA. I have [email protected],384MB RAM, SBLIVE!, and a Geforce-DDR. Seems like you should get better FPS than me...this is at 1024x768x32.

BTW: Anyone ever figure out a way to make it rain consistently in F/A-18? I would love to be able to make traps in rain all the time. As it is, you are lucky if you get rain.

riordan

[This message has been edited by riordan (edited 10-26-2000).]

Posts: 202 | From: SA,TX,US | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hornit
Member # 962

posted 10-26-2000 10:49 PM     Profile for Hornit   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bill,

I am enjoying the game albeit with some weird stuff going on I have set up my video stuff to where it runs well right now. I figured out how to edit the CFS.cfg file also..thx guys! I still can't see the opening movie, it has something to do with the install issue which i think is related to my CDrom.. It hangs just after putting the second CD in during install if I check the larger 900 or something option. If I go back and try the 820mb install it does it fine..really weird. The installer hangs on the opening video, I see the file name when it quits.

Hornit

Vancouver
Member # 6550

posted 10-27-2000 09:48 PM     Profile for Vancouver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
re: the graphics options resetting themselves:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q274/9/02.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0

Posts: 147 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hornit
Member # 962

posted 10-27-2000 10:47 PM     Profile for Hornit   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't alt-tab. Just going in and out of the sim can do it...no alt-tabbing here. That is what the page above refers to.

IMHO there are a few things that need a patch, but not showstoppers.

The uber betty gunner is one. The Flak/gun damage problem killing the roll axis is another. I also think the stall/wing drop due to accelerated stalls is way overmodeled. I have gone to using medium on the Fm due to it. There is also something very weird going on with auto rudder. I use it as I have no pedals and if you try the keyboard the rudder will not center after an input. It's like the rudder is held in too long or not enough making line up difficult for bomb runs and gun kills. I can't put my finger on it yet, but notice it in turning fights. It's almost like the rudder is inputting top rudder at the start of the turn...weird. Anyway..I still really like this sim it is absolutely beautiful.

Hornit

ET
Member # 1946

posted 10-28-2000 12:18 AM     Profile for ET   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ShowLogo=0 in cfs2.cfg should kill the movie for you so you don't have to toggle it yourself. This should help until you get a handle on what really fixes it.

Mine installation went ok. But no movie. If I try to play the movie(even off the cd in windows) the system locks up hard. Is the movie comic bookish?

Posts: 52 | From: Mempho | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hornit
Member # 962

posted 10-28-2000 05:54 AM     Profile for Hornit   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That is exactly what I did, works fine. Funny thing is that the movies in the campaign all work fine. The intro must be somehow different.

Hornit

Truro
Member # 679

posted 10-28-2000 08:03 AM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The difference between the full and medium install is the 90 meg movie folder, it has all but the opening movie called opening.mpg

And maybe the mission builder.

I had a problem geting the 2nd CD to run while installing on my older computer, ended up ejecting/ inserting CD and hitting ok while the CD was still spining.. toook a few tries.

[This message has been edited by Truro (edited 10-28-2000).]

Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hunedog
Member # 94

posted 10-28-2000 11:12 AM     Profile for Hunedog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From the Install problems I had(Got the Yellow ! sign when I clicked the exe on the cd) The FAQ suggested I clean out the windows Temp folder with the disk cleanup tool. Well that didn't work so I tried the Win 95 solution ie: Restart in MS-Dos at the prompt Type deltree c:windows\Temp Problem solved. Seems to me a clean temp folder is what this app likes to see. Must of been some hidden files that the disk cleanup tool couldn't find.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.