my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Found out the easiest way to land on carrier

Author Topic: Found out the easiest way to land on carrier
Viper18372
Member # 6383

posted 10-25-2000 12:20 AM     Profile for Viper18372   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Patience, I was trying to land on the carrier that come in soo fast it was like I had to use the toilet after eating 7-11's chesse. Then I end up smashing the deck. Another time I was going to the Carrier and I do a 180 degree turn then I hit the deck rolled 45 degrees. Then I tried a long slow approach and I hit the carrier like I never did before.

~VIPER OUT

Posts: 171 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mshock44
Member # 6900

posted 10-25-2000 01:54 AM     Profile for Mshock44   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I've seen old films of F6F's and F4U's landing and they look like they are just barely creeping up on the wires, then they just kind of "hop" onto the back of the carrier, hardley any pull on the wire.
These are nice, slow, straight wing props, not F-14s. Back then it really was a carrier landing, today it's a computer-assisted crash in comparison.

Warspite
Member # 1455

posted 10-25-2000 02:01 AM     Profile for Warspite   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought pressing "X" was the easiest LOL

------------------
-Warspite-

CFS2 Mission Storage Page
http://hometown.aol.com/warspite2/cfs2wmsp.html

Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 10-25-2000 05:35 AM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're absolutely right Viper. Having flown JF/A-18 so much I too was instinctively coming in far too fast. Full flaps and just 'settle' onto the Carrier is the name of this game.
Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Nimits
Member # 7442

posted 10-25-2000 08:32 AM     Profile for Nimits   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Despite what the LSO says, I don't think you can come too slow (unless you stall).
Viper18372
Member # 6383

posted 10-25-2000 12:14 PM     Profile for Viper18372   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In this game the LSO is on crack
Posts: 171 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
mmeechan
Member # 6461

posted 10-25-2000 01:23 PM     Profile for mmeechan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From a realism point I think he's on opium or laudnum. mabey even dippin' into his snuff box.

Posts: 43 | From: Toronto,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nimits
Member # 7442

posted 10-25-2000 04:07 PM     Profile for Nimits   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Speaking of old carriers, I have seen a couple of short shots of biplanes landing on the Langely. Thos things really did float. Once, it looked like the planes caught the wire while it was still in the air.
Talon_335th
Member # 7497

posted 10-25-2000 05:16 PM     Profile for Talon_335th   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ummm, all i can say is...DUH! lol Viper u should change your callsign to Cpt_Obvious.
Charlie901
Member # 4814

posted 10-25-2000 05:35 PM     Profile for Charlie901   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The ENTERPRISE was in town 2 weeks ago and while I was taking the tour I started talking to an ex-Navy veteran who served on a carrier flight deck during the 60's (forgot which ship) but he said that the prop planes would practically lift vertically from the deck during take off. When I asked how he said that the ship would be moving forward at a good speed (agin forgot how fast)and into the wind during takeoffs. So I guess the same is true on takeoffs as well.
Posts: 67 | From: FT LAUDERDALE, FL | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Red Wolf
Member # 7271

posted 10-25-2000 08:40 PM     Profile for Red Wolf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I has there too Charlie. Kinda disappointing to see the Enterprise without any planes, completely empty. But it's still fun for people like us huh?
Posts: 45 | From: Plantation, FL | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zarathael
Member # 7296

posted 10-25-2000 09:37 PM     Profile for Zarathael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, methinks that 30 knot headwind is strangely missing from the flight model when you take off from carriers. I have to taxi all the way to the stern of the ship in ordr to take off with bombs or tanks, and even then the belly gets wet sometimes. Hell quite often it gets waterlogged. It's kind of neat to watch the carrier run over a floating plane once or twice, but after ten times, it gets rather monotonous. Yes, I do wait for full manifold pressure and use full flaps, still go swimming.
Posts: 28 | From: Sand Gap, Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.