my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » about the frame rate

Author Topic: about the frame rate
juggalo
Member # 7507

posted 10-24-2000 12:06 PM     Profile for juggalo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i was wondering, i have Athlon th. 900Mhz and 256Megs of RAM, the game runs very smoothly with my TNT2 M64 in 1024x768x16bit, only when i shoot down a plane and smoke fills my screen the framerate drops to 2 or 3 or something.

Whats up with that sh*t ???

Robert Dean
Member # 7330

posted 10-24-2000 12:48 PM     Profile for Robert Dean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's quite normal. It happens to be me too. Guess it's something to do with DX and nVidia's drivers. But done't get me wrong, I am not complaining anything or anyone here. It's just the chemistry doesn't work out for the time being.

When the finalized DX8 and future nVidia's driver come out, I am sure this problem will be history. In fact not only smoke, clouds also cause tremendous frame rate drop.

plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 10-24-2000 01:10 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Smoke, fog, and clouds in any game raises the polygon count dramatically. In these cases the video card is the choke point.
Posts: 570 | From: Graham WA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
John J
Member # 7465

posted 10-24-2000 01:31 PM     Profile for John J   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't buy it!! This is happening on a range of systems. I have a 333 with two 12meg voodoo II in sli (24 total). This is the only game that exhibits this DRASTIC slow down when an explosion occurs up close. EAW has a lot going on and doesn't slow this drastically, on my system at least. I can't believe with the fast systems out there that this still occurs on their system. Maybe something that needs to be addressed? I am not a programmer so I don't know the intricate matters but this seems strange. I would hate to think that this will still occur on my new system (alienware 1.2mzh, 256ram, blah blah, still undecided on whether to get a voodoo or geforce).
DON'T get me wrong. This game is amazing and the damage effects are the best I've seen, but this frame drop needs to be fixed somehow.
Check this out, I have a 333, 128 ram, and the sli'd voodoo's and I have to run the graphics at the lowest setting, and the frame drop still happens. No other game has caused me grief when running at the absolute lowest graphic setting.
Not bashing the game so don't get all upset

John

Jv44~Siggi
Member # 7455

posted 10-24-2000 01:36 PM     Profile for Jv44~Siggi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're right John, it shouldn't be happening. This is something that needs to be addressed with a patch. Something screwed in the code, or a legacy from FS2000???
Posts: 226 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pasha
Member # 3391

posted 10-24-2000 04:30 PM     Profile for Pasha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jees,

You don't seem to understand that it takes as MUCH POWER TO RENDER THE SMOKE EFFECTS IN A SINGLE FRAME, AS IT TAKES TO RENDER 10 COMPLETE FRAMES WITHOUT SMOKE.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Turn DOWN you damage effects, try a setting of LOW.

Damn, microsoft makes a game, and now Pac Man aces are freaking...

Uhh... I have lost all patience with this message board, it's built on misconception, and it's almost a waste to load up.

Just because you know how to login, DOESN'T MAKE YOU A COMPUTER GENIUS.

Fugg...

Pasha

Pasha

------------------
-If time machines were possible, they would have been prolific, since the begining of time.

plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 10-24-2000 05:58 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You cannot compare framerates under the same conditions in EAW and CFS2.
EAW runs in 256 color, and cfs2 runs in a minimum of 16 million colors.
If you have slowdowns during smoke, cloud etc, the already high polygon count goes through the roof.
It's difficult if not impossible to make these effects happen without a high poly count.
There are 2 fixes ( figuring that your system is already optimized):
1. Turn the graphics options down.
2. Get a more powerfull PC.

Posts: 570 | From: Graham WA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ProzacPain
Member # 7328

posted 10-24-2000 07:06 PM     Profile for ProzacPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
CFS2 runs at a minimum of 65000 or so colors (16 bit) 32 bit color is 16.7 million colors.

I find the pauses go away completely if i have my special effects set on medium. However, I really really like those damage effects so I leave them on high and just deal with the pause. Just try not to explode or fragment a plane up really close.

If this is still happening on your system with special effects turned down, then its probably drive fragmentation that is causing your problem.

I also find that the stuttering/pausing whatever you want to call it lessens the longer i fly around. Also it has been diminishing as i over clock my cpu more and more.

Currently running P3/800 at 936 and the special effects max close range fragmentation/fire pause has ALMOST disapeared. It doesn't really bother me, as I am only running a TNT2ultra with this computer. I am sure when i get my Geforce such and such they will go away.

If they annoy you, you are jsut going to have to turn down the special effects to medium or lower.

Also this may not be the problem but if you have force feedback, try disabling it in the game. I found with mine it made the game unplayable with constant pauses and stutters till i turned it off (before I got the P3-800) but I havent' tried turning it back on cause it was just painful to watch.

Posts: 68 | From: Jacksonville FL USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
darryl
Member # 812

posted 10-25-2000 10:41 AM     Profile for darryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hi gang,
I too am running the Athlon th/900mhz with 256 meg of pc133 ram. I am enjoying shooting down Zeros, and Hellcats, as th explosions, and smoke are the best I've seen. I don't notice the frame rate drop-off you mention here. I'm running an ATI Radeon 64 meg eom card at 10x7x32bit color. I'm also riding Windows ME on an ABIT k7a mobo. One thing I'll say is this: make sure you have the absolute latest drivers for the card, for Windows, and for your motherboard's chipset. All my problems cleared up (especially after loading the new chipset drivers: VIA 4-in-1 service pack). I also have the settings maxed out on nearly every graphic setting.
check six, it's me!
darryl

Posts: 60 | From: cincinati, ohio, usa | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.