my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Heavy takeoff

Author Topic: Heavy takeoff
Robert Dean
Member # 7330

posted 10-24-2000 10:34 AM     Profile for Robert Dean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was taking a test ride of the P-38 just now. The plane was loaded with "Medium" bombs: 2 x 1000lb. The takeoff is damn heavy. I could hardly get the gear off the ground even barely at over 150knts! What happened at the end is quite obvious...well.

So anyone can tell me just HOW?

Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 10-24-2000 02:41 PM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Make sure your flaps are at 50%. Then let it run out as far as possible (further than those magical AI planes!) and lift off with a very gentle touch.

btw: for Carrier heavy takeoffs put on the parking brake and then 'spool up' to full power before releasing. Again, a very gentle pull on the stick just before you clear the deck.

Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Red Wolf
Member # 7271

posted 10-24-2000 04:53 PM     Profile for Red Wolf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You are supposed to "spool-up" for full power anyway even when taking-off from the runway. Also, don't pull the stick until you reach around 140MPH to avoid quick speed loss an a VERY possible stall.
You can go here and watch a video that actually teaches you how to fly the P-38: http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/main.html

Posts: 45 | From: Plantation, FL | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Warspite
Member # 1455

posted 10-24-2000 11:45 PM     Profile for Warspite   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Robert, I was able to take off in a P-38 armed with 2x 2000lbs bombs. You may need to put a notch or two of flaps in, it seems to help out. Oh in case you are wondering, I bombed the hell out of a port with docked ships using those bombs

------------------
-Warspite-

CFS2 Mission Storage Page
http://hometown.aol.com/warspite2/cfs2wmsp.html

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.