my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Which Video Card???????????????????? (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Which Video Card????????????????????
DBond
Member # 37

posted 10-26-2000 04:36 PM     Profile for DBond   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yeah... The socket 370 FC-PGA does not come with a slocket. I had to buy that seperately as I mentioned above. I bought a retail (boxed) version too. You made the right choice there. If I can make a suggestion... when you order your proc, specify a cB0 stepping (or later if cC0 has been released) Mine is a week 25 Phillipines cb0. PIII's can be a bit like Russian roulette, but at default FSB's they all run fine. But if you may want to overclock it in the future (100 FSB cB0 Coppermine PIII's are excellent overclockers by and large) a cB0 is your best bet. Did you find the best price at Googlegear? They always seem to have the best deal on retails.
Posts: 814 | From: Mays Landing, N.J.,USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hunedog
Member # 94

posted 10-26-2000 04:51 PM     Profile for Hunedog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've overclocked 4 coppermines,(2 500Es @ 667 1 600E @ 800 and a 700E @ 933 They all hit the 133 bus effortlessly with retail fans and heatsinks. Only one I had to jack the voltage for stabilty(1.65-1.80) was the 700E @933. I like to call it the Lan from hell. Last I looked that's almost 3/4s of a gig of free MHZ Combined.
Posts: 516 | From: Vancouver BC Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
DBond
Member # 37

posted 10-26-2000 04:59 PM     Profile for DBond   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's a hell of a LAN, allright! I wish you didn't live so far away. Most guys I know have a good system for the server and like O/C'd 300A's or PII 400's for all the rest. Damn, that's a nice setup, Hunedog.
Posts: 814 | From: Mays Landing, N.J.,USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 10-26-2000 05:19 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, the PIII 800 will be coming from Googlegear. They got the best price. I don't plan on overclocking anything. My only concern is I've got a decoder card for my dvd. Guess I may have to change that to a software run dvd since I don't know if the GeForce will have the same setup as my TNTv4400. According to the literature on the new MX card, I can watch my favorite DVD movie on the TV while I shoot down bandits. Or hook up two video displays.
Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hunedog
Member # 94

posted 10-26-2000 05:37 PM     Profile for Hunedog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well if you ever make it out to the west coast I got a rig waitin for ya DBond. BTW I really enjoyed your Mig Alley Campaign Posts Here and at Fruggie's House.(Back when you and KC were the only 2 posters on the board)Better than a good book IMHO.
ProzacPain
Member # 7328

posted 10-26-2000 06:12 PM     Profile for ProzacPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To whoever said a GeForce2 ULTRA 64 was $339, EHHH wrong its 500 bucks just check pricewatch and look at the ULTRA's not GTS
Posts: 68 | From: Jacksonville FL USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sporko
Member # 1938

posted 10-26-2000 08:45 PM     Profile for Sporko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi all,

About 3 weeks ago, based on Dbond's good advice, I was ready to buy a PIII-700E and a slocket adaptor and replace the PII-400 on my BX440 board. Then my wife "suggested" that we pay off some credit card bills (What's with her priorities? ) Now that that's out of the way I'm back on the upgrade train, but what do I find?

I find that for $40 less than the upgrade I had planned I can now get a top-of-the-line Abit KT7 motherboard plus a Duron700 plus a decent heat sink and fan (chrome orb)! Here are my reasons for thinking this is the way to go:

1. It looks like this chip will overclock to 900 with no sweat. It can all be done through the mobo's bios. And a pencil

2. My current PC100 memory will work fine and I can upgrade to PC133 as funds allow.

3. The Abit board has a RAID controller. (I don't really know what this does yet but it sounds cool.

4. The upgrade path seems better. I hear that AMD will come out with at least 1.4GHz Thunderbirds which can be dropped into this board. It looks like a PIII-700 or possibly PIII-800 would be the end of the line on my BX board.

5. It's $40 cheaper (maybe I'll use it to buy CFS2)

Now my system isn't a Dell like many of you have so I don't know if an AMD upgrade would make sense for these computers. Just my two cents.

And I better get this done quick. My wife is talking about building a new fence ...

Posts: 384 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Truro
Member # 679

posted 10-26-2000 11:20 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, the pencil trick is a hoot..

BIGSHOT: Listen up a sec... You posted that the new cpu is 2.0 volts. That is incorrect, it will be less. If you try to run an .18 micron PIII at 2 volts it's going to make like a toaster.

The bios update is supposed to give the motherboard the ability to identify the PIII and supply it with the correct, lower voltage, 1.65v. You can update a board this way if the board's voltage regulator is physically capable of delivering a lower voltage, which Dell user's are confirming, apparently.

If someone else does the work, never mind. If you do it, be sure to flash the bios first before putting the cpu in. I would still want to verify the voltage.. if your bios page doesn't show it (I'm sure it doesn't) I would d/l some free monitoring software and have a look.

And just as general information to others, I believe all slocket adapter jumpers do is request voltage levels, they can't regulate nor do they have a regulator onboard. So setting jumpers to 1.65 and running on an out of date bios is not kosher, ie is toaster mode. For example, a slocket set at 1.65 on an ASUS P2B will not prevent the board from putting out 1.8 volts, which is as low as the motherboard's voltage regulator goes. Although 1.8 is about the maximum voltage for pushing a reluctant PIII to it's overclocking limits with a very good heatsink/fan.

Enough rambling. Bigshot's plan is a good one. Just commenting...

Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hunedog
Member # 94

posted 10-27-2000 12:54 AM     Profile for Hunedog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Like I said get the latest Bios and slam that sucker in there! That's what my buddy did and he's a happy camper. Same machine as yours right down to the decoder card. We swapped out his Velocity 4400 for a Geforce SDR as well.
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 10-27-2000 08:01 AM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gotscha covered. I make sure he checks the voltage supplied from the mobo. The slot1 processor takes 1.65 and the mother board supplies this with the updated bios. That's what I understood from reading all the literature. I agree that the DVD shouldn't be a problem since the new video card comes set up for DVDs. I ordered all the parts last night. Used the wife's credit card. HEHE. Maybe I should have asked?? Nah!!!!
Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.