my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » CFS2 Clouds

Author Topic: CFS2 Clouds
sfbaytf
Member # 7301

posted 10-23-2000 01:44 PM     Profile for sfbaytf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've taken a look at all of the cloud files in CFS2 and sure enough they will pixelate when you zoom in on them which I think is why they look so bad when you fly through them. I'm going to try and play around with them and see if I can make them look better.

I'm also working on a re-painted Zero. I'll post a screenshot when I'm done.

Looks like I'll be playing around with CFS2 for a while-reminds me of when I was a kid and spent alot of time building plastic models and lighting them on fire or blowing them up with firecrackers!

Timbo
Member # 1789

posted 10-23-2000 02:12 PM     Profile for Timbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been meaning to change the clouds in FS2000 and since CFS2 uses the same engine, I'm guessing they have the same cloud files. Where are the cloud files located and what file type are they?

-Tim

Tim's USAF Page - Click Here to Visit!

[This message has been edited by Timbo (edited 10-23-2000).]

Posts: 709 | From: Palatine, IL, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
sfbaytf
Member # 7301

posted 10-23-2000 03:12 PM     Profile for sfbaytf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The clouds are loacted in the textures subdirectory. they are in extended .bmp format. I used Dxtbmp to extract them.
Timbo
Member # 1789

posted 10-23-2000 03:24 PM     Profile for Timbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Where can I get Dxtbmp?

-Tim

sfbaytf
Member # 7301

posted 10-23-2000 03:29 PM     Profile for sfbaytf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can get it from here...
http://fly.to/mwgfx

mabye we'll be able to get some decent looking clouds that won't cost $24.99

Timbo
Member # 1789

posted 10-23-2000 03:54 PM     Profile for Timbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I want great clouds, but I can't justify paying $25 for FS Clouds.

-Tim

Robert Dean
Member # 7330

posted 10-23-2000 04:19 PM     Profile for Robert Dean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When I first flew CFS2, I've already realized the clouds are pixelated badly.

You mentioned DxtBMP, I went into the website but can't find it.

How do I use it to edit the clouds? Can you explain a little to me ? Tons of thanks!

Robert Dean
Member # 7330

posted 10-23-2000 04:23 PM     Profile for Robert Dean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The website looks very useful. I just bumped into everywhere and as luck could have it, I found Spitfire! Cheers!!
Timbo
Member # 1789

posted 10-23-2000 04:31 PM     Profile for Timbo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got all the normal weather clouds converted. I need people to post real photos of thick, white, puffy clouds for me to use to make the new clouds. Note: I'm currently ONLY making normal clouds, not overcast or thunderstorm clouds so I only need clean white clouds.

-Tim

SR
Member # 7183

posted 10-23-2000 05:14 PM     Profile for SR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's fsclouds at dusk , landing at O'Hare light rain and 15 kt wind . R4D from www.flightsim.com . Lets you fly from the cockpit . Yep I paid for the clouds

[This message has been edited by SR (edited 10-23-2000).]

Posts: 142 | From: Michigan , USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
sfbaytf
Member # 7301

posted 10-23-2000 05:35 PM     Profile for sfbaytf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well those clouds look pretty good...

I don't want to start a flame war but here goes..

It looks like a diffrence between the FS2000 (Civilian) crowd and the CFS2 (Military) crowd is the FS2000 people are willing to pay for stuff, while the CFS2 crowd would rather have someone create free add ons. Personally I don't have a problem with this. Over the years I have downloaded tons of great users created add-on for free. If I or someone else can create better looking clouds for free then more power to us.

sfbaytf
Member # 7301

posted 10-23-2000 05:53 PM     Profile for sfbaytf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Robert,

You download the program. Once up and running you can go ahead and open the extended.bmp files and modify them in any program that allows you to edit .bmp files. Once you've done that you use dtxbmp to re-convert the edited files back to extended .bmp format.

SR
Member # 7183

posted 10-28-2000 08:05 AM     Profile for SR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
San Franciso Bay Bridge at Dawn 10/28/00 real weather and FSClouds .

Enjoy , SR

Posts: 142 | From: Michigan , USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hertston
Member # 7363

posted 10-28-2000 08:20 AM     Profile for Hertston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just wish you could import the clouds from Fly! into combat sims. Now THAT, I would pay for...
Posts: 246 | From: Torpoint, Cornwall, UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.