my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Jap Torps

Author Topic: Jap Torps
MrMinerva
Member # 7358

posted 10-23-2000 01:30 PM     Profile for MrMinerva   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Based on what I have read Jap torps of all types were better weapons than their US counterparts. One torp sinkin a CV does seem to be a bit over the top!!

Posts: 65 | From: Pickens SC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nimits
Member # 7442

posted 10-23-2000 01:40 PM     Profile for Nimits   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have never seen one torpedo sink an American Carrier. Even Japanese torpedoes rquired multiple hits (due to superior American damage control). The Lexington took two or three torpedo hits, as did the Yrktown, and I think the Hornet took even more before they sank, not to mention nultiple bomb hits. The Wasp ank du to only two torpedo hits, but she was underarmored, and those were biggger sub-laucnhed versions.
SPOT
Member # 453

posted 10-23-2000 04:49 PM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
USS Liscombe Bay - a CVE 'Jeep' carrier took a sub torpedo in the Gilbert Islands in 1943. Fish detonated the magazine. 644 men died. One torpedo.

SPOT
Member # 453

posted 10-23-2000 05:02 PM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...and then there was the IJN Taiho. One american sub torpedo hit her out of a spread in 1944 (Battle of the Phillipine Sea I believe - I'm doing this post from memory.) It sprung some fuel tanks and lines. Japanese Damage Control closed some air vents. Fumes permeated the ship The fuel was not very well refined - somewhere there was a spark and -PUFF- down goes a brand new 30,000 ton carrier. One torpedo.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.