my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Corsair and Hellcat flight models

Author Topic: Corsair and Hellcat flight models
GeoffP
Member # 1089

posted 10-23-2000 09:04 AM     Profile for GeoffP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I need a little aerodynamics 101 lesson, please.

What is it about these two planes that force the wings to roll level if you bleed too much speed in a tight bank? It's more noticable in the Corsair, it seems.

Yes, I know you shouldn't be rolling 90-deg and yanking back on the stick with these two, but....

Thanks.

Casey
Member # 873

posted 10-23-2000 04:17 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GeoffP:

"Roll level?"

Are you sure you aren't sensing the onset of a stall?

I don't know about the Hellcat but the Corsair was known to drop one wing when a stall was approaching. A little spoiler on the leading edge of one wing was supposed to have fixed it (or made it easier to handle). I can't remember if that was done on the 1A or the later 1D. For that matter, I don't know if MS went that far.

In either case, my guess is one wing is stalling out first, making your bird want to roll.

Good hunting.

Oops- almost forgot. Stop yanking that stick for more than a few seconds at a time when there are Zekes around! Bad!

[This message has been edited by Casey (edited 10-23-2000).]

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
GeoffP
Member # 1089

posted 10-23-2000 06:55 PM     Profile for GeoffP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, yeah, I know....

Could the high-side wing lose lift first?

Anyone?

zipy
Member # 7467

posted 10-23-2000 07:03 PM     Profile for zipy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Its called "accelerated Stall"..the inboard wing is moving slower in a turn and the "G" loading has overcome the wings ability to lift...thus a stall(violent in some cases)is the result.The Corsair is know for a wicked stall.
The slower the wing(inboard side)..the higher the load(gravity)..plane will roll toward the wing which stalls first.(Cuz one wing is still lifting)..:-)..and over she goes..Make sense???...kewl..

[This message has been edited by zipy (edited 10-23-2000).]

Michael 2
Member # 7313

posted 10-23-2000 07:55 PM     Profile for Michael 2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There was a tendency for the left wing to drop first due to the considerable torque of the engine.
Seawolf
Member # 1787

posted 10-23-2000 09:07 PM     Profile for Seawolf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
try practicing coordinating turns with your rudder. That little level ball on your artificial horizon will show whether you are in a coordinated turn or not. Keep the ball between the 2 lines and your good to go. Drift right or left and you may still turn but it won't be very efficiant and could turn into a stall if you slide to much.
Also as far as the Corsair goes keep in mind the model in CFS2 is the F4U1A which is the first production model and did not have all the modifications that later models had due to trial and error.
The F4U was modelled all the way to the D model and stayed in service through the Korean war. That's a lot of upgrades.

Posts: 1322 | From: Clearwater, Fl. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GeoffP
Member # 1089

posted 10-23-2000 10:43 PM     Profile for GeoffP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After a little trial and error, I found that its definately a coordinated flight thing.
Feels like the F4U requires more rudder.

The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 10-23-2000 11:33 PM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mike, I think you're wrong there. The Corsair was "torquey," to be sure, but the wing had some aerodynamic deficencies that were beyond normal. Maybe it had to do with the "Gull" of the wing. But whatever the case, the engine was'nt "torquey" enough to depart the plane at any speed. So in actuality, the F4U suffered badly from accelerated stalls.
It's hard to beleive, if you take the flight models as accurate, that US pilots had success against the Zero in such AC.

[This message has been edited by The Ghost of Silverswift (edited 10-23-2000).]

Posts: 211 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
slugged
Member # 1255

posted 10-24-2000 02:35 PM     Profile for slugged   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The reason you roll level is because the outside wing is flying at a higher angle of attack AOA than the inside wing. It stalls first and loses lift. Now the outside wing has no lift and the inside wing has lift so you get that rolling affect that tends to roll you level out of the turn.

Hope this helps.

slugged

Pasha
Member # 3391

posted 10-24-2000 03:09 PM     Profile for Pasha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Reversal.

It's supposed to happen.

Left bank, accelerated stall, right reversal, and vice versa.

Pasha

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.