my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Dropping Torpedos

Author Topic: Dropping Torpedos
Charlie901
Member # 4814

posted 10-22-2000 07:23 PM     Profile for Charlie901   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can you use/ drop torpedos in this sim?? I can't find them in the plane/ loadout screen. I've seen other planes drop/ use them in this sim. If so why aren't they included.
It seems that this should be the primary weapon in a WWII Pacifice theater sim!

Posts: 67 | From: FT LAUDERDALE, FL | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aladar
Member # 6278

posted 10-22-2000 07:49 PM     Profile for Aladar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The thing is, none of the flyable planes were made for torpedos and never carried them. You need to go to Airabuddahs hangar and get either the Devestator, Avenger, or Kate.
Charlie901
Member # 4814

posted 10-22-2000 08:06 PM     Profile for Charlie901   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would have liked to have seen this game come with one plane for each side that carries torpedos. It's ridiculous that this game simulating the Pacific Campaign does not include aircraft that drop torpedos out of the box!!!
char
Member # 3133

posted 10-22-2000 08:11 PM     Profile for char   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you are ridiculous! we have a great new sim and the torpedo add-on is easy and works! What do you expect for 39.00? A sense of entitlement?
Posts: 108 | From: Ketchum Idaho USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Charlie901
Member # 4814

posted 10-22-2000 08:23 PM     Profile for Charlie901   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LISTEN CHAR I'm not flamming this game in any way I love it too. I just feel that Microsoft could have added torpedo aircraft in this initial run and I feel slightly disappointed. I also realize that you can get torpedo planes now and Microsoft will be adding this in upcomming addons. Would you be happy if you bought a jet sim that does not have air to ground missles included?????
ArgonV
Member # 5888

posted 10-22-2000 08:32 PM     Profile for ArgonV   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, this game DID come with torpedoes and torpedo planes. You just couldnt fly them. (They where AI planes) Just like you cant fly air-to-ground missles in a jet sim.....
Posts: 359 | From: League City, Texas, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
char
Member # 3133

posted 10-22-2000 08:59 PM     Profile for char   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just razzin' ya 901!

Enjoy!

Posts: 108 | From: Ketchum Idaho USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Airbuddha
Member # 227

posted 10-22-2000 09:13 PM     Profile for Airbuddha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Charlie,

Download the plane you want and install a torpedo bomber.

Here are some files that make the torpedo planes flyable. Drop in a panel from another plane and you're set.

Airbuddha
The Hangar

Posts: 430 | From: Slipper Gut, WV, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Nimits
Member # 7442

posted 10-22-2000 09:57 PM     Profile for Nimits   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Still, it would have been nice if Microsoft had included out of the box torpedo and dive bombers, and appropriate missions/campaigns. I mean, every one of the great PTO flight simulators allowed you to fly at least some of the bombers (Aces of the Pacific, PAW, 1942 Midway or somethine like that.) Fortunatel, I bet before Christmas we will have complete sets for the bombers, panels, missions, etc. Two things that should be addressed in my opinion, if possible: give the carrier borne bombers working tail-hooks, and give all the bombers computer-controlled turret/rear gunners.
ArgonV
Member # 5888

posted 10-23-2000 05:51 AM     Profile for ArgonV   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nimits, the carrier born bombers HAVE working tailhooks. Some even have folding wings. IF the wings or tailhooks dont work on your bombers add these lines:

[folding_wings]
wing_fold_system_type = 4 ;0=None
fold_rates = 0.12,0.11 ;Percent per second

[TailHook]
tailhook_length=4 ;(feet)
tailhook_position = -15.0, 0.0, -1.0 ;(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum
cable_force_adjust = 1.0

(Note: The wings will not fold of the Devastator or the Dauntless. There are no hooks or wings that fold on the B-24 and the B-25)

Posts: 359 | From: League City, Texas, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aladar
Member # 6278

posted 10-23-2000 07:04 AM     Profile for Aladar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Argon, add the lines to what? Where do I add them?
Charlie901
Member # 4814

posted 10-23-2000 08:12 AM     Profile for Charlie901   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks AIRBUDDA, when are the panels going to be availible for these planes?
Nimits
Member # 7442

posted 10-23-2000 10:14 AM     Profile for Nimits   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I second the question. To what file do these lines go? Also, if the Devestator and Avenger do not have folding wings (as they did historically) what bombers are there in CFS2 that do? The SBD I know did not have any folding wings.
ArgonV
Member # 5888

posted 10-23-2000 10:53 AM     Profile for ArgonV   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh my bad! Add those lines to the aircraft.cfg file.

The AI planes with wings that fold are the Avenger, the Val and the Kate. The AI planes with hooks that work are the Avenger, Dauntless, Kate, Val, and the Devastator.

Cheers!

Shogun
Member # 3598

posted 11-20-2000 03:52 PM     Profile for Shogun   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Speaking of Torpedo bombers, PAW, IMO was the best WWII sim and has one of the best all around AI's- even by today's standards.. - except for GFX, of course)- Is there a way to incorporate controlable rear gunners and a working gun model in CFSII? Also it would be nice to have the bomb sites .

-Shogun

Posts: 129 | From: Martinez,CA,USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nimits
Member # 7442

posted 11-21-2000 02:39 PM     Profile for Nimits   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know, if Microprose would just take the time to slap some new graphics on PAW, I bet they could make money with it again.
Vancouver
Member # 6550

posted 11-21-2000 02:46 PM     Profile for Vancouver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
re: giving PAW a new graphics engine.

You're seeing the world through nostalgia coloured glasses. Compared to recent games just about everything in the game would seem primitive. Its time has passed.

The same holds for SWOtL, Aces of the Pacific, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, <name your poison here>.

Posts: 147 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.