my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Carrier landing secrets...

Author Topic: Carrier landing secrets...
char
Member # 3133

posted 10-22-2000 06:54 PM     Profile for char   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What are they?

What views are the best?

Are you waved off often?

Posts: 108 | From: Ketchum Idaho USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wolfar
Member # 6843

posted 10-22-2000 07:03 PM     Profile for Wolfar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am waved off VERY often! Go figure! If one can not laugh at ones self then you are not living!
Salute
Wolfar

Posts: 64 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dada 257th FG
Member # 6017

posted 10-22-2000 07:06 PM     Profile for Dada 257th FG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by char:
What are they?

What views are the best?

Are you waved off often?

LOL Yeah, that LSO's always waving at me. Friendly guy.

I just plow in anyway. 95 % of the time I'm just fine. (Don't know what everyone is screaming about. Sheesh.) :-)

Any landing you can walk away from....

Dada

Posts: 143 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
phaeden
Member # 2324

posted 10-22-2000 07:27 PM     Profile for phaeden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I land almost everytime (all settings real), and usually the LSO is right on.

I start off rather high and slightly to the right of the carrier. This is what I do: flaps at 75%, throttle around 65%, and I try to stay around 110 knots until a hundred meters of so from the deck. I try not to use rudders too much. When I can clearly see the part of the deck that is darker and drops down a little (at the stern), I cut my engines and just drift in. As soon as I touch down I give full throttle again just in case the hook doesn't catch the wire. Well, this is what works for me, hope it helps.

Posts: 85 | From: Oceanside, California | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Member # 873

posted 10-22-2000 07:40 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For some reason, I've been doing better when I ignore the LSO. Not that he's wrong but it's bad to be making too many adjustments when you're lined up and he was distracting for me.

I just make like I'm landing on an airstrip and, as Phaeden said, a little high and to the right.

Unlike an airstrip, if you miss the imaginary spot you're aiming for at the beginning of the field, you're screwed; that's where the wires are!

I have been using the HUD view when landing on the carriers because (even though it's unrealistic) it gives the best view of what's coming.

Try this:

Practice landing your favorite fighter on land, aiming to touchdown at the same spot every time. After you get very consistent, try the carrier again.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Casey (edited 10-22-2000).]

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Michael 2
Member # 7313

posted 10-22-2000 08:07 PM     Profile for Michael 2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Go in a lot slower than the jerk waving his arms at you wants. Your nose may obscure your view a bit until you're very close, but you should nail the landing
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 10-22-2000 08:52 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anybody figured out a way to turn that LSO off??? He's about as worthless as the tits on a boar pig!!!
Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
char
Member # 3133

posted 10-22-2000 08:56 PM     Profile for char   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What views are you guys using on approach?
Posts: 108 | From: Ketchum Idaho USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Michael 2
Member # 7313

posted 10-22-2000 09:03 PM     Profile for Michael 2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Virtual cockpit view. I'm also using Wells version 1.4 flight models and that might make a difference as the flaps provide lift which I understand they didn't on some or all of the default planes. Occasionally I pause just as I cut the throttle and switch to the external view so I can see what my landing looks like.
Zarathael
Member # 7296

posted 10-23-2000 03:56 AM     Profile for Zarathael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I haven't had a chance to play with this thing much, but I nailed the first landing just fine.....after 6 go arounds and wave offs. After number five the LSO just flipped me off....jerk. I'm gonna chew him up in my prop next time.
Posts: 28 | From: Sand Gap, Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zarathael
Member # 7296

posted 10-23-2000 03:57 AM     Profile for Zarathael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I haven't had a chance to play with this thing much, but I nailed the first landing just fine.....after 6 go arounds and wave offs. After number five the LSO just flipped me off....jerk. I'm gonna chew him up in my prop next time.
Posts: 28 | From: Sand Gap, Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.