my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Uninstalled, waiting for patch

Author Topic: Uninstalled, waiting for patch
Peter N
Member # 5774

posted 10-22-2000 06:23 PM     Profile for Peter N     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It was not altogether fun while it lasted, these two days. Bought it Friday, took it off the system Sunday.
Two things make it unplayable for me:
-The stutter. I'm using an ancient SB 16 and I've tried all the tips here, what with setting the sound to 16 bit, disabling the MIDI and everything. And no hardware acceleration slider to adjust can be found on my system (ol' W95b).
-The damage-to-engine=no-roll bug. Nuff said. I can fly a mission up to the point where flak hits my engine or nose structure. Then my immediate reaction is to hit ctrl-C. I don't even try to go on...
This is so stupid a bug it's not even funny.

And Mickeysoft isn't exactly know to pump out quick patches for their games/sims. Damn me for being so stupid to read this forum, yet somehow think that maybe these bugs wouldn't bite me. Ugh!

/petern

Posts: 28 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jv44~Siggi
Member # 7455

posted 10-22-2000 06:54 PM     Profile for Jv44~Siggi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Would you like a copy of Win98?
Posts: 226 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nimits
Member # 7442

posted 10-22-2000 07:18 PM     Profile for Nimits   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know, I have a pretty pathetic computer (PII 300, 64 MB RAM, and Voodoo 3 2000), but it looks good on my computer. Anyway, it is in my opinion that CFS2 is the best WW2 flightsim ever.
Peter N
Member # 5774

posted 10-23-2000 03:07 AM     Profile for Peter N     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"looks good"? Heck, it looks fan-f**kin-tastic. That's not the problem.
It only makes me more sad that I can't run it the way it's intended. I want it to look good AND be fun to play.

/petern

nutcase
Member # 7349

posted 10-23-2000 03:12 AM     Profile for nutcase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter N:
"looks good"? Heck, it looks fan-f**kin-tastic. That's not the problem.
It only makes me more sad that I can't run it the way it's intended. I want it to look good AND be fun to play.

/petern

Hi.
I dont think Microsoft can help you with a patch. A system runnig W95 and and a SB 16 soundcard isn't very new is it? I would guess it's a PentI MMX or something. What you need is a computer upgrade, not a CFS2 patch.

Jan Roar Rd

bonzo
Member # 2124

posted 10-23-2000 04:58 AM     Profile for bonzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
go plop fifty buck's down on a sound blaster live value card you'll be glad you did.
it's an awesome card the music interface is ten time's better than the old aew64 trust me it's worth it.

Posts: 97 | From: santa barbra calif | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
PCH
Member # 7479

posted 10-23-2000 06:28 AM     Profile for PCH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bruno had something over at CFC about converting the 16 bit sound to 8 bit (as I remember). Might be worth checking into it, might let you play it now.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

MrMinerva
Member # 7358

posted 10-23-2000 01:16 PM     Profile for MrMinerva   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup dude. I would go splurge and get me a new computer - simpy put. You dont say what your CPU is . Maybe you just need a good Creative Labs sound card and 128+ RAM. A smokin 3D/2D card would help loads. If your mother board will handle it - get a 600mhz or Celeron overclockable to 600.

Happy Flyin

Posts: 65 | From: Pickens SC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Peter N
Member # 5774

posted 10-23-2000 01:37 PM     Profile for Peter N     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aw, you guys almost made my machine cry. :-)
It's an ABIT BH6 m/b with Celeron at 500Mhz, 256Mb RAM, >50Gb of disks, a Saitek X-36/X-35 setup and a smokin' TNT2 Ultra.
Framerates are not an issuse with sound off, as I run with every slider to the right at 1024/32bit and never even get a hiccup. Sound ON, however...

/petern

Spin Doctor
Member # 77

posted 10-23-2000 01:49 PM     Profile for Spin Doctor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Regardless, of whether you keep the game or not, you need two things. 1) A descent sound card, and 2) windows 98. I'd say you are really hamstringing a pretty descent system with that ancient OS and sound card

------------------
Objects on your six may be closer than they appear...

Spin Dr.

Posts: 321 | From: Lusby, Md | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Wolfar
Member # 6843

posted 10-23-2000 02:03 PM     Profile for Wolfar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with Spin Doc. Last time I saw a SB16 was Ummmm about 4 years ago. ISA slot if memory serves correctly. Also give consideration to SB PCI 512 good card resonable price.
Salute
Wolfar

Posts: 64 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nimits
Member # 7442

posted 10-23-2000 02:09 PM     Profile for Nimits   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The best card I have ever used is the Vortex SQ2500. It give good sound quality, and I have never had a single problem with it (except sometims my infared port, which I don't use, tries to steal the IR address from my card). Of course, I got mine at half price. I do not know how it compares to a modern Soundcard.
Jv44~Siggi
Member # 7455

posted 10-23-2000 02:19 PM     Profile for Jv44~Siggi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The offer of Win98 was serious, if cost is an issue for you.
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 10-25-2000 07:41 AM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would recommend going directly to WinME from Win95 at this point.
And as others have stated high time for a new soundcard. I like the Vortex cards, but since Aureal is history you're probably better off with an SB Live.
Otherwise you should be fine.

Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ET
Member # 1946

posted 10-25-2000 08:38 AM     Profile for ET   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In an interview w/Gamespy Tucker Hatfield, the wheel behind CFS2, said they aren't planning a patch. He didn't rule it out either.

I always turn off anti-virus when I run CFS2 and it's fast. Last night I didn't and it stuttered bad.

Posts: 52 | From: Mempho | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
adamgul
Member # 492

posted 10-25-2000 08:42 AM     Profile for adamgul   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hej dr!

Jag svarar p engelska annars blir det bara ett himla liv.

The problem with the stutter and SB16 can be the same as with FS 2000. Im runing FS 2000 on one of my machins witch has a SB 16 soundcard an the stutter was realy bad (slidshow). The problem was with the sound file in FS 2000 that had to be removed im not shore about the exacly what the file name was but check FS 2000 fixes att microsoft. Im not shore it will work in CFS2 but sins CFS2 uses allot from FS 2000 it may help.

Posts: 52 | From: Stockholm Sweden | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jv44~Siggi
Member # 7455

posted 10-25-2000 09:39 AM     Profile for Jv44~Siggi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are ships sailing thru islands and he didn't say a patch was definite???
The arrogance of MS. A clear bug but no commitment to fix it...breath-taking.

------------------
Taka Chutai

Nimits
Member # 7442

posted 10-25-2000 09:44 AM     Profile for Nimits   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A small patch would be welcome. Really, they only have to fix a couple of "minor" things. Just tweak the damage model (for planes and ships) and take away ships' amphibious capabilities.
Ciril
Member # 4209

posted 11-04-2000 07:48 AM     Profile for Ciril   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Peter N,

I am running CFS2 under Win95 OSR2 and it works fine. If you mean a *sound* hardware acceleration slider, there is one under the Sound tab of DirectX diagnostics tool (..\Program Files\DXDiag.lnk). You are using DirectX 7.0a, aren't you?

Ciril

Posts: 7 | From: Split, Croatia | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hornit
Member # 962

posted 11-04-2000 08:06 AM     Profile for Hornit   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think that a patch is in order. The damage roll model sorely needs to be fixed. That and the Betty gunner needs to be dumbed down a bit. I don't mind the agressive flying but the gunners have laser sights and they don't usually miss. The accuracy is way overmodeled.

The sim does stutter a bit on my PIII 750 at 840 with MX-300, 128 mb ram and a V5! Most sims, including F-18 run very smoothly on this rig and there is NOTHING running in the background.

The FM on Hard is too prone to accel stall and it's too violent on most aircraft. Medium setting feels good to me. I have some time in T-6 texan and T-34B and they would be similar to some of these aircraft. Wells 1.6 doesn't quite fix it either.

I think a patch could be easy and quick for the Micronuts to do. Just a small one covering the damage roll thing, the Betty, and tone down the departure characteristics and I would be a happy camper

Hornit

Posts: 955 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Pasha
Member # 3391

posted 11-04-2000 10:23 AM     Profile for Pasha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You really can't expect good performance from this with an sb16.

Pasha

Ciril
Member # 4209

posted 11-04-2000 11:24 AM     Profile for Ciril   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hornit:

I think a patch could be easy and quick for the Micronuts to do. Just a small one covering the damage roll thing, the Betty, and tone down the departure characteristics and I would be a happy camper

Hornit

I am playing Battle of the Eastern Solomons, and the first missions is defending the carrier against Vals. Apparently the Vals don't know how to use their rear gunners. Most of them don't shoot at all, so I can get 8-10 kills without blinking.

Also, one can never have too many AI improvements. Unless you are playing online, all the planes except your own are controlled by the AI!

Ciril

Posts: 7 | From: Split, Croatia | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Peter N
Member # 5774

posted 11-04-2000 03:17 PM     Profile for Peter N     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ciril; thanks for the tip, didn't think to look there. I thought h/w accel. was someting for the SB Live users only.
I fixed the stuttering by disabling the "Creative Adv. Wave Effects Synth for AWE 32" found under the "Sound, Video, Game" section. Just click "Inactivate in this hardware profile. Works super.

Pasha; performance is very good with the old SB 16, thank you very much. Running at 1204/768/32b with everything maxed (but no antialiasing).
[email protected], 256 Mb RAM, and a wunderful Geforce DDR.

/petern

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.