my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Dantlesses from the past (of sims)- FM Question

Author Topic: Dantlesses from the past (of sims)- FM Question
Mshock44
Member # 6900

posted 10-22-2000 04:45 PM     Profile for Mshock44   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I noticed a couple of FM probs (?) with the dauntless and other planes.
In Pacific Air War, the D had a tendancy to want to level out from a stepp dive on its own as you gained airspeed (as did other planes in PAW). I had to lower the dive brakes all the way, AND lower the landing gear for extra braking power AND idle the engine just to make a controlled dive from 8000 or so feet, because at 190 knots it pulled up so hard you couldn't stay on target. The only planes in PAW that didn't do this were those prone to comresability. amd those that broke up before going fast enough to pull up naturally .
So, none of the planes seem to have trouble pulling out of a 80 degree unpowered dive except the P-38. I realize the AI FM's are simplified for obvious reasons, but none of the (originally) flyable aircraft exhibit this behavior, whil thier PAW counterparts did. SO, which one got it right?

SR
Member # 7183

posted 10-22-2000 07:24 PM     Profile for SR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ace's High was like what you wrote about PAW version 1.3 and eariler but they dumbed down the FM cause it was not good for business

They always was saying that the faster you go the more lift you had so you had to push the stick farther ahead to compensate .

When I pick up speed , I use the elev trim to compensate for that now . In CFS2 like CFS1 there is no over stress damage modeled at all , try this dive as fast as you can and put the flaps on full . Haul for all your worth , CFS1 didn't do squat to the plane , just bet 2 don't either . But I still like the game just not as "hard" as some

I think PAW most likly was more right , I had that but could get the damn thing to run cause of a memory problem with my PC . Did get it to boot disk once without joystick or sound Wish I could have played it .

U ever get some screeshot from PAW we could see ?

Take care ,

SR

Posts: 142 | From: Michigan , USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mshock44
Member # 6900

posted 10-22-2000 08:09 PM     Profile for Mshock44   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unfortunately no, but is was the precursor to EAW, same team, just imagine EAW in 320*200 software mode with flat textures and low-res skins. But it DID have squad-level carrier take-offs, even mixed plane take offs, fighters first, dive bombers next, torp turkeys in back .

SR
Member # 7183

posted 10-23-2000 03:24 PM     Profile for SR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It was Ace's over the Pacfic that I had and got to run without the joystick sound etc . Got mixed up with the other sorry

Squad level takeoffs would have been cool to watch

Posts: 142 | From: Michigan , USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.