my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Does DX8 beta help boosts quality & performance

Author Topic: Does DX8 beta help boosts quality & performance
Robert Dean
Member # 7330

posted 10-21-2000 04:27 PM     Profile for Robert Dean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have downloaded the beta from www.falcon40.com a while ago and has it installed. I am just wondering if I revert back to DX7, will I get a higher FPS or don't bother.
Triton900
Member # 7440

posted 10-21-2000 05:08 PM     Profile for Triton900   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Robert, What FPS do you get now? And what kind of system? And settings?
Posts: 20 | From: Seattle WA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Robert Dean
Member # 7330

posted 10-21-2000 05:11 PM     Profile for Robert Dean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HI Triton:

Go to Screenshots Gallery. I have posted a number of them with FPS reading.

System Spec: PIII 600E, GeForce2 GTS 32MB (Annihilator 2 6.34 build), 256MB RAM, Win98SE. The card is on loan from a friend of mine. Originally I used only a V3 3000 but found the FPS not as good. I will get a V5 6000 later, so now is saving the $$ for that.

NonCon
Member # 5040

posted 10-21-2000 05:32 PM     Profile for NonCon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rule of thumb, never upgrade to DX(whatever) unless a game you need specifically calls for it. And never ever use the beta version. BTW you don't revert back to the previous version of DirectX, you format your HD and reinstall the OS.

KJ

Posts: 15 | From: St. Louis MO | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
stephenju
Member # 7345

posted 10-21-2000 05:43 PM     Profile for stephenju   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was having random crash to desktop with CFS2. After updating driver, defrag drive, reinstalling CFS2, and nothing helped. As a last try before completely redo windwos, I installed DX8 beta and BOOM! My problem is gone.

The FPS is about the same, though DX8 is a tiny bit slower. But that's a price I am willing to pay for stable game play.

System:
Duron [email protected], 256MB, Windows 2000, Voodoo3 3000 PCI

[This message has been edited by stephenju (edited 10-21-2000).]

Posts: 10 | From: Waltham, MA, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kraut
Member # 513

posted 10-21-2000 06:51 PM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My experience coincides with NonCon, BIGTIME!!!!!!!! It was Hades, just plain Hades. Format, reinstall, BRRRRRR!!!! It all worked fine for about 4 hrs. & I was on here mentioning the virtues of DX8??? If ya can't do the time, youknow!!!
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Posts: 754 | From: Kitchener Ont. Can. | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
MaxxG
Member # 3371

posted 10-21-2000 08:48 PM     Profile for MaxxG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WARNING... WARNING!!!

DO NOT USE THE DX8 BETA DRIVERS LISTED ABOVE. THEY HAVE EXPIRED.

All I can say is um glad I have MS ME. The "restore" feature saved my butt!

Posts: 144 | From: Dartmouth, NS, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MaxxG
Member # 3371

posted 10-21-2000 09:11 PM     Profile for MaxxG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
x

[This message has been edited by MaxxG (edited 10-21-2000).]

Posts: 144 | From: Dartmouth, NS, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mshock44
Member # 6900

posted 10-21-2000 09:58 PM     Profile for Mshock44   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I find I have to have my audiohq in memory for my sb LIVE!, in order to avoid CTD's with CFS2. Wierd yes, but not crippling.
JETninja
Member # 1400

posted 10-21-2000 10:38 PM     Profile for JETninja   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are updated Beta's and a DirectX removal tool here: http://zoiah.m3dzone.com/ look under the Other Files section.

I have them downloaded but have never loaded them...never got a clear answer as to if there was a clear performance boost...

Posts: 174 | From: SoCal, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mshock44
Member # 6900

posted 10-21-2000 11:10 PM     Profile for Mshock44   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Like someone said earlier, there probably won't be a performance boost until the software (games) is written to take advantage of the new instruction sets. Put a V-8 in a VW Bug, it's still a VW Bug.
Robert Dean
Member # 7330

posted 10-22-2000 12:50 AM     Profile for Robert Dean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe it's not about performance or frame rates. It's the quality!
Jv44~Siggi
Member # 7455

posted 10-22-2000 08:48 AM     Profile for Jv44~Siggi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"I find I have to have my audiohq in memory for my sb LIVE!, in order to avoid CTD's with CFS2. Wierd yes, but not crippling."

Mshock, what do you mean by this? I have the SB-Live and I'd like to deal with any probs before I get CFS2.
Cheers mate.

Posts: 226 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Doc Halliday
Member # 1242

posted 10-22-2000 09:03 AM     Profile for Doc Halliday     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, Guinea Pig here. I went for it. I went to the Zoiah HQ site and d/l the DX8 and naturally, with wild abandon and my fingers crossed, I installed them. As Jimmy Buffett says, "Too much tequila or not quite enough..." This was probably 3-4 weeks ago. My last visit to Zoiah HQ said that DX8 wasn't there anymore...Made me nervous but in the 3-4 weeks of use, I have had ZERO problems. Now it'll probably spontaneously combust next time I run a sim...I run CFS, WW2F and CFS2. I am amazed at the FPS in WW2F, 50-60 but the smoke still kills me. Like the clouds in CFS2. I get 30.2 always, from inside with no cockpit and no HUD. The only graphics problem I have is the Pearl Harobr mission due to the number of ac. I use the SHIFT Z to get a/s & alt info.
No hickups, no crashes, nothing to lead me to believe that the DX8 has a bug. I do consider myself very lucky ! I get a bit psychotic when the system doesn't work...
I am religiously checking the M$ update sites for the real DX8 to arrive. In fact, since I have not had any problems, I actually RE-INSTALLED DX8 again, just to make sure it's there! Still, for me it worked, but I cannot recommend anyone else try it only due to the # of other guys I have read who had major problems...

Proceed at own risk...:}

Posts: 121 | From: Syracuse, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Robert Dean
Member # 7330

posted 10-22-2000 10:39 AM     Profile for Robert Dean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Halliday:

DX8 beta doesn't hurt my system. In fact, my CH Throtle+F16 Combat stick combo works even better than before.

You are right, about the clouds in CFS2. It really kills the FPS reading. Without clouds, i get normally above 30 FPS.

Mshock44
Member # 6900

posted 10-22-2000 01:14 PM     Profile for Mshock44   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JV, Audiohq must be in memory, for my x-gamer it is a little green icon in the system tray in the lower-right corner of the screen. It's where I select my speaker setup, mixer control etc... BUT IT MUST BE IN MEMORY-IN THE LOWER RIGHT HAND PART with all those other icons.
Sabadin
Member # 3102

posted 10-22-2000 04:05 PM     Profile for Sabadin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To remove DX you can always use regedit to make windows forget which version it's running on. Then just install the version of your liking.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.