my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Performance issues - help!

Author Topic: Performance issues - help!
Kite
Member # 569

posted 10-20-2000 09:06 PM     Profile for Kite   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, I finally retired my aging fusion banshee card and purchased a Geforce 2 MX card. They are a pretty good deal right now. Great graphics, but I am getting some stutter. My system:

Athlon 500MHZ, 128MEG RAM, sblive.

I tried different video settings with not mush effect. Turning the sound off does not help. I noticed that when the stuttering occurs, my hard drive light goes on. It seems that it goes on pretty much at a regular interval that corresponds to the stuttering.

That means that CFS2 is accessing my HD about one time per second, and this is the cause of the stuttering. What I am thinking to do next: uninstall CFS2 and directx7, defrag the hard drive (that is tonight's operation), reinstall everything in the morning and see if there is an improvement.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

I know somebody will say buy more memory and a faster processor (that is planned for my Christmas bonus). But anything else?

If this is an inherent system problem, it must be solved by itself. Others have posted similar issues, so I think we should continue to investigate.

I hope to get some suggestions. I will post the results of my experiments, and of anything that improves the situation.

Michael 2
Member # 7313

posted 10-20-2000 09:10 PM     Profile for Michael 2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had stuttering with the terrain texture size slider maxed until increasing from 128 megs to 256 of RAM.

[This message has been edited by Michael 2 (edited 10-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Michael 2 (edited 10-20-2000).]

Kite
Member # 569

posted 10-21-2000 09:40 AM     Profile for Kite   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, defragmanting the drive helped. I still get some disk access (ie when loading a new sound or visual effect, such as an explosion), but it is a lot less noticeable. I have all the graphing options on (T/L, filtering..) and I am running in 1024*768. I did move some of the sliders in the graphic detail one notch to the left. After reading the last post, I will experiment a little with the texture sliders. Maybe I will need more memory to get the maximum performance out of theis system. Maybe time to overclock the CPU also. Cool game, but demanding.

sfbaytf
Member # 7301

posted 10-21-2000 10:42 AM     Profile for sfbaytf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1) get the patch for AMD processors. I don't have one, but apparently there is an issue between AMD processors and CFS2.
2) use the latest GeForce from NVIDIA. If you already installed drivers with the GeForce you should be able to install over them, but I know for a fact that residue of the old drivers were left over in my system.
3) defrag hard disk.
4) go the the multimedia settings in the control pannel and drop the sound card accelaration down one notch.
5) if you up to the task do a fdisk, re-format and re-install on the OS. With windows this should be done at least once a year, more if you are constantly in-stalling and uninstalling software or like to tweak your system.
6) you may want to turn off the engine and communications sounds. When you turn off the engine sounds you'll still get the engine sounds from other planes, so it not that noticable, unless you are the only plane in the sky. I've found that leaving those 2 sounds off dramatically increases frame rates. Also play the the graphic setting within CFS2 and make sure you don not have your graphics card and CFS both doing antialiasing

Kule Kanain
Member # 7430

posted 10-21-2000 11:12 AM     Profile for Kule Kanain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have read serveral posts concerning frame rate issues. I have a PIII 450mhz overclocked to 600mhz. 512meg of memory and a 64meg Prophet II GTS. I tried everything to get frame rates up. I have heard multiple people talking about sound causing frme issues. I toggled sound and found same issues. Frame rates start smoothly (30+fps) and degraded to 1-2fps in the matter of seconds. Changing views or toggling sound refreshed the graphics page memory and then would degrade again. Out of frustration, I started hitting additional keystrokes and found a nice routine call that solves my problem. SHIFT-C to bring up checklist. I guess this depends on which keyboard layout you are using. Anyway, once you open and close the checklist window - frame rates stay stable. I have been using this workaround and playing campaign all week. I have also posted to Microsoft in hope they address thi issue.
Kite
Member # 569

posted 10-21-2000 02:38 PM     Profile for Kite   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How do check to see if your graphic card is doing anti-aliasing?
ProzacPain
Member # 7328

posted 10-22-2000 10:23 AM     Profile for ProzacPain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When i turned off the force feedback effects in the game my frame rate went from unplayable to playable.
I havent' missed it

Posts: 68 | From: Jacksonville FL USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Seawolf
Member # 1787

posted 10-22-2000 10:32 AM     Profile for Seawolf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is DMA.
If you have a UDMA66 HD you want to right click on my computer then right click on your HD listed in the device manager. put a check in the box next to DMA and reboot. This speeds up the access to the HD by going straight to the memory for updates. Anyone who has UDMA66 HD should do this.
Hope it helps

Posts: 1322 | From: Clearwater, Fl. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Seawolf
Member # 1787

posted 10-22-2000 10:33 AM     Profile for Seawolf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am curious about this AMD patch for CFS, where do I need to search for it and what does it correct. I get pretty good performance now, but anything I can squeeze out I will.
Posts: 1322 | From: Clearwater, Fl. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.