my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Sim Stable, But Like a Slide Show, Please Help

Author Topic: Sim Stable, But Like a Slide Show, Please Help
Barkhorn1x
Member # 5615

posted 10-19-2000 07:08 AM     Profile for Barkhorn1x   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To All;

Please Help. After loading I had problems w/ black screen freezes and in game freezes. After uploaded the latest Beta drivers from 3dfx, the sim no longer freezes but it runs like a slide show on 800x600 / 16 bit res. w/ almost all of the sliders set way down. Now I don't think my BIOS configuration is correct.

Here are my system specs;
450 mghtz AMD K-2
128 meg SDRAM
Super 7 Main board
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP card
Yamaha sound card

BTW, this was a FULL Install.

From what I have read, I should not be having this kind of slowness w/ a system like mine, and certainly not at 800x600. Does anyone have any advice here on BIOS setting or anything else?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated as this baby looks very cool.

Regards,
Barkhorn.

Posts: 63 | From: Davie, FL, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 10-19-2000 09:22 AM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe it's your sound card??? Hit the Q Key to turn sound off and see if fps improve. I'm running at 1024x768 with a PII 450 TNT1 128 ram and it's silky smooth now. I tried 640 & 800 and found that I had to run with antialaising turned on at those low resolutions and it killed my frame rate. I run without antialaising at 1024 and don't need it. I also run with bi-linear filtering and the picture quality if very good. Turn off the auto-performance thing. That also will kill the fps on a mid-grade machine. I get between 20-30 and have seen 40 with the cockpit on. Lowest I see now is about 15 when the sh+t gets heavy. Oh, and using the original drivers. 128 something or another.

------------------
The only thing FREE in this world is "LONG DISTANCE TELEPHONE CALLS" at dialpad.com HEHEHEHE

Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 10-19-2000 09:29 AM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've the game at very high res in free flight. I've already called my computer tech guy. We're talking 21" monitor, PIII 1gh range processor, Geforce2 64mg video, SBLive Sound, 10K rpm 40gh harddrive(don't know about this yet), 256mg ram with windows98 only on that baby. Screw these P600 thingamgigees and all that other crap software that runs in the background. Where's my Visa Card??? I want 1600x1200x32 with FSAA and T&L stuff going full force.

OH CRAP, I'm hooked!!!!!

------------------
The only thing FREE in this world is "LONG DISTANCE TELEPHONE CALLS" at dialpad.com HEHEHEHE

Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
dvargas24
Member # 4045

posted 10-19-2000 09:44 AM     Profile for dvargas24   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Barkhorn, i believe the readme says that users with AMD processors need some patch or something from AMD's site.
give that a whirl if you havent already

Posts: 230 | From: Aurora, IL, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
JT
Member # 310

posted 10-19-2000 10:44 AM     Profile for JT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I noticed that the anti-aliasing option is a big time frame rate hog. Try turning that off.
sfbaytf
Member # 7301

posted 10-19-2000 11:13 AM     Profile for sfbaytf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't know if this is relevant to your situation. I have a Celeron 466 overclocked to 526, 128 megs of ram and a GeForce2 MX video card. I was getting a range of 7 to 40 fps. On some of the more intense single missions the frame rate would drop to 7-10 fps even on low detail.

I then did a fdisk, re-format and re-install of windows98 and now the frame rate is significantly higher (10-15fps better. In fact all of the missions are now playable in medium detail - the frame rate in very intense (crowded) missions almost never drops below 15 and averages 20-40 fps on my lowly celeron.

I won't go into long details, but windows does not do a good job of removing old .dlls. The registry tends to get bloated ect and some programs are poorly written which can cause all sorts of havoc.

If you are up to the task you may want to consider a reformat and re-install, if all other suggestions fails.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.