my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Devastator take off vs Corsair take off

Author Topic: Devastator take off vs Corsair take off
LiveOne
Member # 7198

posted 10-19-2000 06:40 AM     Profile for LiveOne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is very mind boggling to me. If I try a carrier take off in the Devastator, with 1,000 bomb load, full flaps, rev engine up with brakes on and release, it takes a NOSE DIVE into the water. Not even close to a take off. Like there was a magnet pulling the plane into the water. If I do the same thing with the Corsair, I can take off before I even reach the end of the runway. And the Devastator was designed for that kind of thing. I know that it wasn't a very good airplane and like someone said in another post, most of the pilots hated them, but it seems very strange that it would plummit like it does. But I still like to fly it. There's just something about it!

Mark

Wolfar
Member # 6843

posted 10-19-2000 11:15 AM     Profile for Wolfar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do you rev up your engine to max while keeping the brake on before starting take off?
Salute
Wolfar

Posts: 64 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
LiveOne
Member # 7198

posted 10-19-2000 11:22 AM     Profile for LiveOne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep!
Seawolf
Member # 1787

posted 10-19-2000 11:31 AM     Profile for Seawolf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The devastator is a much heavier plane and adding 1000lbs to it makes it worse. Plus for takeoff use the entire deck as well as setting flaps to 1/3 or 1/2 at the most. Full flaps causes too much drag, full flaps on the Dev are designed to act as speed brakes in a dive. If you follow the instructions in the training missions you will do fine.
Also while takeing off use small pitch corrections and raise the gear as soon as you leave the deck.
DO NOT turn to one side or the other until you have enough airspeed this will cause a stall and the wing will dip with no chance of recovery.

Posts: 1322 | From: Clearwater, Fl. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wolfar
Member # 6843

posted 10-19-2000 11:34 AM     Profile for Wolfar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good ideas Seawolf that I did not even think of. Old Timers perhaps? ROFLMAO!
Salute
Wolfar

Posts: 64 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Member # 873

posted 10-19-2000 03:21 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Corsair was designed for carrier use too, that's why it has those bent wings!

It also has more than twice the horsepower and twice the prop diameter of the poor Devastator.

I crashed the first time I took off from a carrier in the Wildcat. Since you're barely getting enough room to get up to speed, I find it's good to stay level for a few seconds while your speed picks up, before killing the flaps and yanking the stick back- otherwise you stall and SPLASH!

Good luck.

This sim is a blast.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.