my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Resolutions higher than 800X600???

Author Topic: Resolutions higher than 800X600???
Tiger93
Member # 7353

posted 10-18-2000 11:56 AM     Profile for Tiger93   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am running a PII 333 with an ATI 3D Rage Pro video card and a daughter VooDooII 12M STB BlackMagic video card. I have 96M of RAM. I am running CFSII in 800X600 and it looks pretty good. But what I want to do is run in the higher resolutions like 1024X768 or so. So my question is, do I buy another 12M VooDooII card to add to my first one, or replace the VoodooII card with another newer card like a Voodoo4 or voodoo5?? Keep in mind that my computer is a Compaq Presario and thus the ATI 3D Rage Pro is probably integrated in my motherboard? What do you guys think??
Darren

Posts: 12 | From: Huntsville, AL 35803 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
FoxK
Member # 81

posted 10-18-2000 12:08 PM     Profile for FoxK   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I STILL have 2 voodoo2's in SLI on my system backing up my GeForce DDR but keep in mind that the single DDR beats the 2 voodoos by a huge margin...i would consider getting the same card i got..the regular GeForceDDR (slightly over $100)(stay away from OEM's etc..get a name brand retail type) and perhaps a memory upgrade, 64MB RAM (about $30 for PC100), and a CPU upgrade PIII600 (<$150)...in summary...u can get ur system up to par with GeForce DDR, PIII600E, total mem RAM +/- 160MB for about $280!! That's less than the price of the current video cards out now. My prices were from www.pricewatch.com ...u'll have to see if ur MB can take a PIII CPU etc.
If u don't or can't take my advice...ur best bang for the buck will likely come from upgrading ur P333 CPU...that's what's killin ya and keep in mind that video cards can only help u so much but are largely dependent on the CPU...if the cpu can't send the data to the video card as fast than the card can handle it..then upgrading the card will just allow it to handle more of what its not getting from the cpu anyway Think of it this way...2 brothers are shoveling snow...Joe (the CPU) puts his pile at John's (Video card) foot so John can put it on the snow pile at the driveway's end. JoeCPU's pretty slow and John has caught up....John(videoCard)'s friend shows up to help...Joe can't go any faster, so now u have 2 guys waitng for snow I Know that's kinda retarted and i'm not patronising u, but one never knows how much the questioner knows about puters so i hope its a good example..forgive me if i went too far.
Good Luck

------------------
"We're not retreating. Hell, we're just attacking in a different direction!"
GEN. OLIVER P. SMITH, USMC

[This message has been edited by FoxK (edited 10-18-2000).]

PapaRomeo
Member # 2897

posted 10-18-2000 12:23 PM     Profile for PapaRomeo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If I'm not mistaken, 800x600 is the limit for a single V2 Card.

You can certainly add any PCI video card to your Compaq Presario; I have a V3 3000 PCI in mine.

Good luck,

PR

Posts: 949 | From: Springfield, Virginia, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
FoxK
Member # 81

posted 10-18-2000 12:32 PM     Profile for FoxK   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yep..ur right Papa...voodoo2 was, IMHO, the best video card to ever hit the market as far as stability goes etc. But as u know its really sub par today. I hope my assessment of his position is a good one...its his CPU speed that's currently limiting him and while another voodoo2 will indeed give em 1024 resolution, its already limited usefulness will be bottlenecked by the cpu in todays games...upgrade CPU, at least 64MB more RAM and a $100 DDR card highly recommended if u can..but make sure ur MB can handle a PIII...some BIOS updates allow MB's that previously could not, now can.

------------------

Tiger93
Member # 7353

posted 10-18-2000 12:50 PM     Profile for Tiger93   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FoxK, I would love to upgrade my CPU, but while I know enough about computers to say, change the oil and plugs, as far as a rebuild goes, I am not sure I have that kind of knowledge! Also, since I have the PII 333, isn't my MB the old Bus speed and not the new 100Bus speed? I would probably have to buy a whole new MB to go to the PIII wouldn't I?? And the DDR you are talking about, is that a 2D/3D card? Or a daughter card? Like I said, I think my ATI Rage Pro is integrated into my MB. (Also my sound card, but I knew this was gonna be an issue when I bought the comapaq ) So I probably need to talk to Dell, Micron, or Gateway and just buy a new computer! I want the 21in monitor anyway! lol!
Darren

Truro
Member # 679

posted 10-18-2000 01:24 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Buying or having one built, sure.

Upgrading your card.. look around the net and find out what an agp slot looks like, then see if your computer has one. But with a 333, I'd recommend more horsepower over vid upgrades. Don't buy another V2, a $50 pci V3 can do 1600x1200. And geforce mx comes in pci.

Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
FoxK
Member # 81

posted 10-18-2000 03:40 PM     Profile for FoxK   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tiger....somewhere.....u should have some documentation on ur system..including the type motherboard ya got...it should tell u the range and type of CPU useable in ur particular system..ie...Slot1 P300-PIII800...whatever

------------------

LiveOne
Member # 7198

posted 10-18-2000 04:50 PM     Profile for LiveOne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey there. I've got a PII 450 with 128MB RAM and just replaced my Voodoo 2 with a Voodoo3 3000 AGP and it's a gem. For $100 I can pump the resolution in CFS2 to 1600x1200 with minor glitches. It's a beautiful thing!

Mark

dschin
Member # 6088

posted 10-18-2000 10:11 PM     Profile for dschin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tiger93, I have a Compaq with a K63 350,
256MB of RAM, and a Voodoo 32000 PCI.
I have been delighted with my Voodoo! I regularly run CFS in 1024 or even 1280 with pretty good fps; CFS2 in 1024 is great.
Compaq introduced a Softpaq file some time ago to specifically allow Voodoo brand cards to be installed and your onboard graphics to be disabled (no doubt because people like us were screaming our heads off at them).
I suspect you have only PCI slots (and damn
few of those...Compaq...grumble grumble).
I say your most cost-effective option is to
buy a Voodoo PCI video adapter card (I've
seen the 32000 for as little as $70 at CompUSA lately, but you could spring for a 33000 or even more if your wallet is eager).
That way your V21000 can accelerate your new
card IF you have two available PCI slots--let me know how well the Banshee works in this arrangement if you do this, will you? Compatibility by virtue of using the same brand should help things work together. Should rock and roll.
Upping your RAM modestly might help a bit
(Compaq's help forum for your machine can help you determine what you may use). I
have found to my chagrin that going from
128 to 256 made very little difference, but
96 to, say, 128 or more would matter.
You can upgrade your CPU, but that involves
some tinkering and expense you may not like,
and if your machine crashes, you have to put
all the old components back in to "restore".
I personally think mHz upgrades aren't most important. I upgraded from a K62 to a K63 CPU of the same clock speed because I didn't have to reset anything to do it; just got more onboard cache memory. I have noticed a bit of improvement in game performance, but not nearly so much as with a new graphics card.
So take the cheap, easy card fixes, vow to swear off prebuilt computers, and save your scratch for your next, build-your-own PC.
Good luck to you.

Posts: 287 | From: Madison WI USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiger93
Member # 7353

posted 10-19-2000 02:38 AM     Profile for Tiger93   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DsChin, So you are saying I should dump the ATI Rage Pro card (Or disable it with the compaq Softpaq) and install a Voodoo 2D/3D card to take its place and then a VooDoo 3DFx card? Is that how you have yours set up? I do need some more RAM, but with all the diferent RAM types out there, I am not sure which type I need?
RobS
Member # 7272

posted 10-19-2000 09:27 AM     Profile for RobS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tiger, I agree with FoxK that you'd be better off upgrading your CPU. Check with Compaq's website for motherboard bios updates to see what it can handle. If your board has a AGP slot, go for the GeForce DDR FoxK described. It's a 2D/3D combo card that takes the graphics load off of the CPU.

If you need a new motherboard, you may be stuck. Since Compaq (and others) often use custom cases, they aren't always upgrade-friendly.

If you thinking about buying a new system, consider building your own. You can pick your components, possibly use existing ones, and you have a much better path for upgrading later. It's really not that difficult (other than deciding on the components). The last PC I bought was a 286/10Mz system and I've been building them myself ever since - and nobody's mistaken me for a genius.

Check out the following link to see what's involved. Good luck.
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/guides/build_computer/

Posts: 4 | From: Clinton Township, MI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bayfire
Member # 7188

posted 10-19-2000 01:28 PM     Profile for Bayfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
U all need to upgrade now to a thunderbird 900 with a asus A7V board with 200fsb for around 500.00
Posts: 30 | From: Marysville Wa USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
dschin
Member # 6088

posted 10-19-2000 10:11 PM     Profile for dschin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tiger93, yes, I am suggesting you disable your onboard ATI chip (I did this myself
after downloading the aforementioned Softpaq and installing the new card). I'm assuming your machine is much like mine; RobS is right about Compaq's proprietary
oddball motherboards. Even more, the Restore CD they give you requires you to revert to the original PC hardware to use it (incidentally, mine won't work right unless I keep MS Internet Explorer my default browser).
You see, if you don't install the Softpaq you can't permanently disable your onboard graphics because Win98 just finds and re-enables them every time you restart, overiding your addon card. You can search out the Softpaqs and Rompaqs available for your particular machine at Compaq. Follow the directions given with the card after installing the softpaq(s).
I know it's a real ripoff to be told you
have AGP graphics and then to discover there
is no AGP slot but only "onboard" AGP, but
that's how it is. At our level of performance, most of the reading I've done
says it doesn't matter appreciably yet anyway whether you go AGP or PCI...it just
sucks to use up a scarce slot that way.
Again, you can upgrade your CPU (Compaq
will issue you instructions for the particular upgrade if you post on their forum). Check your owner's manual to see which type of RAM you have. Or ask at Compaq. Then match what you get with what will work...sometimes, you are required to
put in RAM in an amount matching that already there. I bought some Kingston I'm real happy with; to put it in, I had to remove
all my addons and plugs in order to get
to the RAM slot (might be simpler to do this
before putting in the new card), and it must be turned correctly to fit. Ground yourself well before and during any inside work, especially with your CPU! Read and follow all product directions carefully.
Look, if I did this, so can you. Just plan your steps carefully, tell Compaq your exact intentions, ask them "silly" questions ("The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"), try your best. Either you'll screw up, in which case you can almost certainly dig yourself out if you keep your head and learn valuable stuff in the process, or, more than likely, you'll succeed! Think about having alternate internet access in case you have questions in mid-fix. Meanwhile, think of those great graphics, those smooth framerates...ahh!

[This message has been edited by dschin (edited 10-21-2000).]

Posts: 287 | From: Madison WI USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.