my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Help! I can't stop (literally).

Author Topic: Help! I can't stop (literally).
scliab
Member # 3777

posted 10-17-2000 07:28 PM     Profile for scliab   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am trying very hard to get my landings down. I have tried some of the advice I saw posted yesterday and am making some improvement. A few times last night I thought I had pulled it off but I can't stop rolling off the runway. It seems like I would be OK if I could kill the engine but I can't figure out how to do it. I've read over the key commands in the manual a number of times and I've read through the manual itself all the way up to page 216. Still no instructions for turning off the engine. Could someone please clear this up for me.
Posts: 32 | From: Dover, NH USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
FoxK
Member # 81

posted 10-17-2000 07:44 PM     Profile for FoxK   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's how i do it...make sure ur hook is down, wheels down and flaps at least one increment down too. Pretty much ignore the LSO cuz he's on crack or something, telling ya ur going too fast when ur about to stall etc....anyway...prob the most important thing is how high u come in...hard to describe what's perfect, but ur aiming for the first 10 feet of the deck (where the wires are)...u just gotta learn to hit that spot goin around 115mph or less...come in from too high..ur toast..id say ur in good shape if ur loosing alt. very slowly such that u'd hit in the first 20 feet of deck..there's suprisingly a large area for error cuz u can cut ur engine completely if ur too high....regardless...it can only be learned in practice...hit the first 20 feet of deck going <120 mph in such a way ur just about floatin downward at that point...err...perhaps floating is a bad choice of words .keep trying...u'll get it...takes everyone a while...i get it now using full cockpit, virtual cockpit on..whatever...u will too....too bad ya can't fly co-op...i could show ya

------------------
"We're not retreating. Hell, we're just attacking in a different direction!"
GEN. OLIVER P. SMITH, USMC

[This message has been edited by FoxK (edited 10-17-2000).]

Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 10-17-2000 09:47 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Contr+- will kill the engine if you hit it several times. Also, you can use F5 key to bring up engine controls and use your mouse to shut it down. If you're refering to have problems landing on the carrier, it just takes practice. If you're referring to landing on a runway at a base, set your flaps on full and drop gear and slow down. Cut throttle to landing speed (about 100) and hold it there. Once rolling apply the brake B key. It your speed is right, it only takes about a third of the runway to stop.

------------------
The only thing FREE in this world is "LONG DISTANCE TELEPHONE CALLS" at dialpad.com HEHEHEHE

Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Zager
Member # 4774

posted 10-17-2000 11:25 PM     Profile for Zager   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
CFS2 joystick confg brakes worked better than the CFS1 joystick confg on my Sidewinder PP for some unknown reason.
I too was running off runnway with weak brakes. CFS2 confg stop on a dime.

Posts: 22 | From: N.Calif. | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Forward Observer
Member # 5366

posted 10-18-2000 12:33 AM     Profile for Forward Observer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you are talking about the Wildcat, it's
a well known fact that its odd narrow
landing gear made land based takeoffs and
landings as dangerous, if not more so, than
carrier landings. Once your are on the
landing strip and have slowed slightly
keep back pressure on the stick to keep the
tail down and start tapping the brakes. Too
much brake will flip you. I kept running off the runway, but with practice, I can now stop with room to spare.

As for carriers, I have also noticed that the LSO character is not always right. I have made several perfect carrier landings when he waving me off, and have also crashed when he told me to cut and land, so it just takes practice, trial, error, and your own judgement.

My personal cross to bear is dive bombing,
but I'll work it out eventually

------------------
Artillery adds dignity to
what would otherwise be a vulger brawl!

Posts: 197 | From: Cabot. Ar, US | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
dschin
Member # 6088

posted 10-18-2000 02:00 AM     Profile for dschin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another option for killing the engine is just
to switch off the magnetos on the cockpit dash with your mouse.

Posts: 287 | From: Madison WI USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pasha
Member # 3391

posted 10-18-2000 08:14 AM     Profile for Pasha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For practice, it's good to come in about 1000ft, chop the throttle, flaps out full, gear dn, and dive, nearly vertical, and flare out onto the 'paint' area of the runway.

Helps you learn the velocity curve..

Pasha

ScabFace
Member # 609

posted 10-18-2000 10:00 AM     Profile for ScabFace   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree completely with above advice for landing on land. Trimming for dirty config helps. Come in low & slow with all the flaps you need & try to land at 85 kph or thereabouts close to the end of the runway. After landing hold back pressure on the stick & tap the brakes, ABS style. Practice, practice, practice... Seems very touchy but that's the way it is. Good luck.
ScabFace
aka 'bent prop'

Posts: 92 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 10-18-2000 10:51 AM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DaBATT (et al),
speaking of stopping - with the 'B' key assigned to my Saitek X36 analog throttle [four position switch types] no matter what the response type setting (e.g. standard, off, interleaved, continuous) I cannot get the function to repeat as if I were holding down the keyboard key. The best I can do is to hit the button rapidly, which gives me a sort of ABS effect. However this is not practical while "spooling up" on the Carrier. Any suggestions? TIA

Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
scliab
Member # 3777

posted 10-18-2000 07:05 PM     Profile for scliab   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice guys. If UPS will ever let me get home before 2100 I will try to spend enough time to get this right.
Posts: 32 | From: Dover, NH USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ferret427
Member # 7293

posted 10-18-2000 07:56 PM     Profile for Ferret427   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Hewett:
DaBATT (et al),
speaking of stopping - with the 'B' key assigned to my Saitek X36 analog throttle [four position switch types] no matter what the response type setting (e.g. standard, off, interleaved, continuous) I cannot get the function to repeat as if I were holding down the keyboard key. The best I can do is to hit the button rapidly, which gives me a sort of ABS effect. However this is not practical while "spooling up" on the Carrier. Any suggestions? TIA

When I programmed mine in SGE, I just used "B,B,B,B,B,B,B,B,B,B" Kinda works OK so far.

Posts: 40 | From: Largo, Florida, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 10-19-2000 07:04 AM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Ferret; looks like a good workaround. I was also reminded to assign the parking brake, which is better for Carrier spoolup.
Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ferret427
Member # 7293

posted 10-19-2000 08:27 AM     Profile for Ferret427   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm working on a halfway-decent profile for the X-36, which I'll be happy to post once I'm satisfied with it.
Posts: 40 | From: Largo, Florida, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.