my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » GeForce 2

Author Topic: GeForce 2
MoondogFalcon4
Member # 7326

posted 10-17-2000 09:01 AM     Profile for MoondogFalcon4   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just got the GeForce 2 board with 32 megs
This is supposed to be the best card for direct x, but the Voodoo 3 i just replaced blew it away in CFS2, did anyone else have a similar experience?
this is with the latest detinator drivers too!!
my cpu is a p3600eb using a 150 mhz bus and is at 675mhz

Posts: 1 | From: Schylerville | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Michael 2
Member # 7313

posted 10-17-2000 09:30 AM     Profile for Michael 2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do you have T&L enabled? That gives a big boost to frame rates with my Geforce 2 MX.
cptSwordfish
Member # 7320

posted 10-17-2000 09:37 AM     Profile for cptSwordfish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I have an original Geforce (although mine's a 64MB DDR) and there's no way a Voodoo 3 could come anywhere close to it. A VooDoo 3 wouldn't even be able to touch my TNT2. So I'm thinking something's not setup right on your box...

Here's a few tips... First, make sure you don't have anti-aliasing turned on. It's useless anyway with Geforce cards as it's done in software and will just slow things down. (That's one thing that the VooDoo 5 has over the Geforce, but you were talking about a VooDoo 3 anyway.) The anti-aliasing feature is turned on by default with the latest drivers. You'll want to turn it off in the Display control panel as well as in CFS2.

Make sure you don't have V-Sync turned on.

If things are still sluggish, you may need to start playing around with the different graphic options on your card. Try bilinear filtering instead of trilinear... Try 16 bit color instead of 32 bit color. I've got a P3-1000Mhz 128MB ram with a Geforce 64MB DDR and I usually play CFS2 at 1024x768 32 bit and my average frame rate is in the mid 40's, but that's during multiplayer. It's actually a bit higher when playing single player.

Hopefully this will give you something to go on toward fixing your problem. Before you ditch that card, give others a chance to respond, too. There's a huge user base for Geforce and GTS cards out there, and most probably no more about tweaking than I do. You should have a terrific card there that will most definitely outperform a Voodoo 3.

Also, turn off the auto performance adjustment thingy. I've heard that generates a lot of unncessary choppiness...

------------------

..:: cpt. Swordfish ::..

[This message has been edited by cptSwordfish (edited 10-17-2000).]

slugged
Member # 1255

posted 10-17-2000 10:31 AM     Profile for slugged   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone running a Geforce2 MX? If so what are your system specs and what kind of frame rate are you getting.

slugged

sfbaytf
Member # 7301

posted 10-17-2000 10:49 AM     Profile for sfbaytf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a GeForce2 MX in my Celeron 466 (overclocked to 526). I have 128 megs of RAM in the system. The drivers that came with the Hercules Prophet gave me a poorer frame rate that my TNT2 Ultra. The latest drivers from the Hercules web site made little diffrence on the frame rate. Once I downloaded the latest drivers from NVIDIA the frame rate went up. I currently get 40-15 FPS depending on how many planes are in the air. I'm running on the mid-to-low end graphic settings. Clouds will also lower the frame rate. Looks like its time to get a faster CPU. I see Athlon Thunderbird 1mzh with motherboard for under $400
Pasha
Member # 3391

posted 10-17-2000 10:54 AM     Profile for Pasha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Installation routine:

1. Desktop, right click, go to advanced settings, choose display adapter, change to "Standard diplay adapter" reboot.

2. Reinstall DX 7a. Reboot.

3. Install your new drivers, by doing step one again, but pointing it to the new drivers.

4. Reboot.

Pasha

Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 10-17-2000 11:47 AM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The GeForce2 is a beautiful card for this DirectX-only sim. Plus when DX8 is released it will be even better. Get the v6.31 released drivers and make sure your setting in the sim are taking advantage of its "offloading" (e.g. T&L) capabilities. And, make sure you have fully uninstalled any residual VD3 drivers prior to nVidia install. Also, turn off all pre-loaded app's except systray and explorer (a good rule of thumb for all sim's).

[This message has been edited by Bill Hewett (edited 10-17-2000).]

Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snapdad2112
Member # 2780

posted 10-17-2000 01:35 PM     Profile for Snapdad2112     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This leads me to a curious question then.

I just got a GeForce2GTS (32mb)
I have a P3 550
256mb RAM
Sb Live!

blah blah

Anyways, I tried playing the game at 1024x768 in 32 bit, but it seemed that my frame rate wasn't that great. Sometimes going below xx digits.

I dropped it to 16 bit and it made quite a difference.

Let me say this. I have AntiAliasing turned ON for my GeForce card (set at 1/1 I think?)

and there is also an option in the game itself to enable anti-aliasing, which I have turned on. By doing so, is it over-riding my geforces card or just coinciding with it but relying on my system processor to crunch those numbers further?

Could this be the possible hit that's happening? I would expect with this system to have a better framerate. Maybe I should just turn AA off altogether?

Thoughts?

Posts: 69 | From: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snapdad2112
Member # 2780

posted 10-17-2000 04:29 PM     Profile for Snapdad2112     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A revelation.

I haven't tried the game yet, but I just realized I had the detonator 6.18 drivers.

Just installed 6.31, which should be a significant change. I'll try the game without my geforce2 forcing AntiAliasing...

see how it goes.

Snapdad2112
Member # 2780

posted 10-17-2000 05:23 PM     Profile for Snapdad2112     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I seem to be posting a lot.

Assumed that anti-aliasing is on

6.18 drivers
1024x768x16

2d cockpit - 10-20 fps
3d cockpit - 30-40 fps
external - 30-40 fps

6.31 drivers
1024x768x32 <--note bump up to 32bit

2d cockpit - 15-25 fps
3d cockpit - 40-50 fps
external - 40-50 fps

A real nice difference. I'm surprised at myself for not keeping track of my drivers better.

Without AA turned on, it looked kinda 4$$y, because i'm used to seeing it on.

So, I turned it back on, and the performance is just fine now. Used to stutter a bit when I was just firing my guns at an enemy, but haven't noticed that yet.

Snap

Dlesko
Member # 7232

posted 10-17-2000 05:47 PM     Profile for Dlesko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the first generation geforce card. my system is pentium 3 700mhz 256 MEGS Ram geforce256, soundblaster live value, 20gb hd 40X CDROM. I use to get 15-20fps with a huge drop in fps and a lot of stuttering when planes came into view. I went to this site: http://www.tweak3d.net and followed the instructions in their game players computer tweaking guides. (they are the 4 PCgamer guides listed on the side of the webpage. After following the guides instructions my frame rates average 35-45fps, the lowest they have dropped was to 23fps with about 30 fighters 1000 yards from me and all in my field of view, with heavy anti aircraft fire. Following those tweaks is highly recomended. the increased my frame rates greatly and also sped up my overall computer speed and windows just flys now. Give em a try!

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.