my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Help with settings! PLEASE!

Author Topic: Help with settings! PLEASE!
johnnyig
Member # 7302

posted 10-16-2000 02:25 PM     Profile for johnnyig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi all, just been fiddling with graphic settings on my P3-600 with dual voodoo 2 boards in sli mode and a viper v550. I cant get any real smoothness on this game even at 800x600 with all settings way down, i'm running ultra-wide scsi drives and eaw rocks but this sim is killing me, its extremely choppy. Does anyone know how to set this sim up graphic-wise? I have 2 options diamond monster 3d 2 direct x6 or v550. My 550 runs just as fast as if I select my voodoo 2 board. I know something must be set wrong, everyone is saying how nice and smooth this game is. I also have 128 megs of memory. If anyone has any helpful hints I would appreciate it. Also I'm using v 2.07 of the diamond drivers for the voodoo 2 should i switch to the newer 3dfx reference drivers?
post reply or e-mail with any help! Thanks -John

Blond_Knight
Member # 67

posted 10-16-2000 02:30 PM     Profile for Blond_Knight     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Might be a shot in the dark, but do you have DirectX 7 or 7A installed? If not upgrading to it may solve your problem.
Something definately is not setup right, because Im running fine on a single voodoo2 board.

------------------
See-Decide-Attack-Reverse

Posts: 1093 | From: Richmond Va - Capital of the Confederacy | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
loafer87gt
Member # 1036

posted 10-16-2000 02:33 PM     Profile for loafer87gt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are you using a Soundblaster live card? I've heard quite a few people having problems with those cards. Try going into your device manager and moving your audio acceleration slider down a notch and see if that improves things. Also, try turning off the sound to see if your sound card is the culprit. Hope this helps you out.
Pasha
Member # 3391

posted 10-16-2000 02:39 PM     Profile for Pasha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Viper... that is a TnT?

Turn everything all the way up, disable all the 'auto' settings in you Viper desktop applet, make sure you enable Trilnear, TnL, and Antialias in the sim.

SCSI don't mean nothin'.

Use the TnT, the the VD2s are not the choice here.

Pasha

johnnyig
Member # 7302

posted 10-16-2000 02:42 PM     Profile for johnnyig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
no loafer no soundblaster live butI'll try setting sound to off.
Spin Doctor
Member # 77

posted 10-16-2000 03:26 PM     Profile for Spin Doctor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got a Sound blaster live. Works great, but I have a USB joystick so it doesn't bog my gameport.
Posts: 321 | From: Lusby, Md | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Casey
Member # 873

posted 10-16-2000 03:41 PM     Profile for Casey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Johnny,

First things first: read the detailed mini-manual "Advanced graphics settings" found on CD no. 1. It explains all the various graphics options and how each affects overall performance.

I found that one of the most dramatic improvements in framerates comes from turning down that "DEM" slider. It makes the terrain elevation less accurate but it still looks great. If you're not into such things (more important in civilian flight sims, IMHO), you won't miss it.

But read that article.

I'm getting 30 fps with a 500 MHz, 256 MB RAM, TNT2 setup! That's at 1024x768, 16 bit.

Good hunting.

Posts: 636 | From: America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Augurin
Member # 7262

posted 10-16-2000 06:40 PM     Profile for Augurin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blond_Knight:
Might be a shot in the dark, but do you have DirectX 7 or 7A installed? If not upgrading to it may solve your problem.
Something definately is not setup right, because Im running fine on a single voodoo2 board.

Make sure it's DX7A or newer (Millenium's DX is newer). A bug with joystick response was fixed in 7A and your frame rates will be noticably slower in DX7.

Posts: 10 | From: Bothell, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
johnnyig
Member # 7302

posted 10-17-2000 05:45 PM     Profile for johnnyig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi guys thanks for all the tips, should i use the newer reference drivers for my voodoo 2 boards? the old ones are only directx 6 comaptible, maybe thats whats killing my frame rate? Diamonds last voodoo 2 set was 2.07. I have seen newer drivers on the 3dfx site. Thanks! -John

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.