my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » landing woes

Author Topic: landing woes
ScabFace
Member # 609

posted 10-16-2000 10:13 AM     Profile for ScabFace   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am finding the landings difficult. If I exceed max landing speed I usually overrun the runway. The brakes are very touchy & I often go nose down with tail feathers up. I am using more notches of flap & coming in much slower for success but I really have to work at it. Some of the runways are darned short. I can't imagine trying to land in a hurry or damaged or wounded or stressed out. Anybody else experiencing the same kind difficulty. I am determined to land after every mission.
ScabFace

Posts: 92 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Doc Halliday
Member # 1242

posted 10-16-2000 10:17 AM     Profile for Doc Halliday     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What difficulty level are you using? Try a lower level to get more practice. Are you trimming the a/c when on final approach?
Try to trim the ac with gear and flaps down, called "dirty", for level flight at about 120-130 knots. Then slowly reduce power to establish a descent to the runway.

Sounds pretty simple but requires lots of practice.

Posts: 121 | From: Syracuse, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
ScabFace
Member # 609

posted 10-16-2000 11:22 AM     Profile for ScabFace   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doc,
Thanks. I used the X-key feature on CFS1 to land automatically but I've been flying FS2000 some & want to do it right. I'll scale back the difficulty some to practice (I've been on max) & trim for the dirty config. I use the Midway island & a F4F for practice. And I definitely need more practice. Tried to land a Zeke at a short field on Rabaul a number of times & didn't do well. Thanks for your help. Goodness knows, I love this sim.
Dale

Seawolf
Member # 1787

posted 10-16-2000 11:41 AM     Profile for Seawolf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL, Welcome to the Navy!!!
also you shouldn't be using brakes on the deck of the ship, and while using brakes on the runway try pumping the brakes in short bursts. Hold the brakes too long and you will nose over.

When approaching the deck keep the plane level with a slight nose up. Anticipate engine cutoff. I usually cut the engine just as I cross the back of the ship.
Also try adding wind to your flights. There should be at least 20knts of headwind across the deck, but so far it doesn't feel like it.

quote:
Originally posted by ScabFace:
I am finding the landings difficult. If I exceed max landing speed I usually overrun the runway. The brakes are very touchy & I often go nose down with tail feathers up. I am using more notches of flap & coming in much slower for success but I really have to work at it. Some of the runways are darned short. I can't imagine trying to land in a hurry or damaged or wounded or stressed out. Anybody else experiencing the same kind difficulty. I am determined to land after every mission.
ScabFace

Posts: 1322 | From: Clearwater, Fl. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 10-16-2000 12:22 PM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The way I have the brake fucntion set on my Saitek X36 is almost like ABS. Each time I hit the button I get a short burst of braking. You can do the same via the keyboard by tapping the 'B' key.
btw: Having flown sims for years my first Carrier landing in CFS2 (max difficulty setting) was AOK. But I do have all those years behind me [and real world experience]. You'll get there with practice - that's half the fun of this hobby!

Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mshock44
Member # 6900

posted 10-16-2000 12:34 PM     Profile for Mshock44   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BTW, once on the ground and under 60-70 knots, you can pull back on the stick some (more and more as you slow down) and while doing so you can brake more and more without nosing over.
Make sure you retract the flaps while taxi-ing on the ground, especially with the wildcat.
I've gotten to the point where I can carrier trap 2/3 times without a go-around, and runway land all of the time in a wildcat, other planes to follow .

Duke
Member # 1126

posted 10-16-2000 12:38 PM     Profile for Duke   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For a Zero, landing gear down full flaps, I was holding 85-90 kts on final. Landed on land, short runway ending in a hill on the other side. Landed at the start of the runway and was able to slow down no problem.
You are probably coming in too fast, with full flaps, you should be able to hold 100 or less indicated airspeed.
Hope this helps

------------------
Duke
189th VFS
X/O

Posts: 82 | From: Plano, Tx USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
ScabFace
Member # 609

posted 10-16-2000 02:11 PM     Profile for ScabFace   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, thanks all for your help. I'll be tuned up in no time.
Seawolf: thanks. I do ok with carrier traps but its the short landing fields causing me to work; I don't use brakes on the carrier landings.
Mshock44: thanks for the tip; I used it some also & it helps preventing nosing down.
Bill: the ABS technique is a good idea. Thanks.
Duke: Isn't the Zero fun? I'm working to slow down. Thanks.

ScabFace
(working with the ground crew straightening out his prop blades)

Bigshot
Member # 4

posted 10-16-2000 02:21 PM     Profile for Bigshot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was turning my mustang around at the end of the runway. Held the right brake on and cranked the power up. HEHE. Flipped that baby right over. End of story.

------------------
The only thing FREE in this world is "LONG DISTANCE TELEPHONE CALLS" at dialpad.com HEHEHEHE

Posts: 1291 | From: Suttons Bay, MI, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mshock44
Member # 6900

posted 10-16-2000 03:24 PM     Profile for Mshock44   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're welcome, it's nice to see gracious people on a games forum.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.