my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » The Truth Comming Out?

Author Topic: The Truth Comming Out?
Lanzfeld
Member # 990

posted 10-16-2000 04:53 AM     Profile for Lanzfeld   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dont have this sim yet but I am getting worried from what I am reading! A few days ago everyone was saying very good things about this sim....but now I am hearing some VERY bad news for those who like realism!

1. Little or no torque on F4U
2. Drop tanks have no aerodynamic effect
3. Top speeds are way off
4. No carrier ops for AI aircraft
5. Cant overstress aircraft
6. Unrealistically tough Betty Bombers
7. Ugly Clouds

I hope this is'nt just a pretty looking sim!
This is a real shame.
[This message has been edited by Lanzfeld (edited 10-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Lanzfeld (edited 10-16-2000).]

Posts: 69 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
TS
Member # 7164

posted 10-16-2000 06:14 AM     Profile for TS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

7. NO Option to turn off the yellow target brackets!
8. The same horrible view system as in CFS1.

Posts: 53 | From: Germany | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Seawolf
Member # 1787

posted 10-16-2000 11:53 AM     Profile for Seawolf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You have to ask yourself how picky do you want to be.
I would like to see some things fixed, but none are life threatening for this sim.
The graphics are great, It runs smooth, and it has a great immersion factor.

This is a great sim and add-ons are sure to improve many of the things you listed, history of this series has shown that.
Just get the damn sim and have a good time. Stop sweating the little **** !!

Posts: 1322 | From: Clearwater, Fl. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Vancouver
Member # 6550

posted 10-16-2000 11:59 AM     Profile for Vancouver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think that bringing these issues up necessarily indicates that people are becoming disenchanted with the game. The game has only been out for a few days, and people are now becoming familiar enough with it to spot possible shortcomings. No game's perfect.

I was one of the ones talking about (the possible lack of?) torque and g-stress effects but that doesn't mean I don't like it anymore. I still think it's excellent. In fact, I like it more every time I play it and I played it a lot this weekend.

Posts: 147 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bill Hewett
Member # 115

posted 10-16-2000 12:12 PM     Profile for Bill Hewett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Keep in mind that it is always easier to criticise - and we are a very critical group. Is the sim perfect - no. Is any sim perfect - no.
However I am really enjoying this sim. It has excellent immersion, superb graphics, very good flight modeling, the ability to land on a Carrier, and will be well supported by both Microsoft and 3rd parties for a long time to come.
If I had to make an analogy I would say the graphics of WWII Fighters, the flight modeling of Warbirds, the cockpit fidelity of MSFS2k, and the immersion factor of JF/A-18. Not bad!

Posts: 1279 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Sidewinder062
Member # 1767

posted 10-16-2000 12:22 PM     Profile for Sidewinder062   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think this sim is a keeper. I have the minimum machine required to run the game, so I'm dumbed down to 640x480, but it's immersive enough to keep me playing (and thinking about a new system).
Posts: 400 | From: Marshall, Texas, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pasha
Member # 3391

posted 10-16-2000 02:45 PM     Profile for Pasha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's great, it's really the best.

It isn't perfect, and alot of those problems you are saying, are truly user/setup error.

It's really nice.

Pasha

rsalo
Member # 1722

posted 10-16-2000 09:53 PM     Profile for rsalo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll admit it does have some problem area's, but, this game is only a couple day's old and does seem to have some very "open" files. The first day I had it I was able to make all the a/c flayable with panel's (thank's Abacus!) And I'm no where near as talented as some of the people I've seen around here! I think allot of the problem's were seeing now will probably disappear in time.
kverdon
Member # 347

posted 10-17-2000 12:39 AM     Profile for kverdon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've got to agree on the Betty toughness part. It's not that they absorb great amounts of damage, its that they fly like twin engine fighters. I've seen them perform zooom turns and yo yo's that a zero would be proud of. Couple this with thier lazer quided gunnery and you have somewhat of a uber plane. If I'm doing good I can get 2 of them before I'm shot to S*** and my wingmen all get blow out of the sky by these things. What gives?

Kevin

Posts: 145 | From: Tigard, Oregon USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Fender
Member # 2054

posted 10-17-2000 12:59 AM     Profile for Fender   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Same horrible view system as CFS 1"

ughh I hope not...I won't be getting CFS2 if that's true. I mean what kind of a sim doesn't have a fly by view or decent external player to target views. Also just trying to look at your own plane from the outside was a bitch in CFS 1".

I guess that's what I always liked about Jane's sims (R.I.P), a ton of different views that are easy to use.

Posts: 179 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Schurem
Member # 1345

posted 10-17-2000 01:25 AM     Profile for Schurem   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well at first i hated the view system, as it's indeed lackin a to-target-view and stuff like that. But after a while i got my head around to it. In-cockpit padlock is quite usefull, and realistic. The external view is there, and generates beautifull pictures, but is hardly tactically usefull. All of the realism grognards should love this, not scoff at it. I think M$ have taken a commendable shot at innovation in this field. And although it has it's merits, i'd rather forfeit this realism for unrealstic view options like in janes WWII fighters ;-)
Posts: 200 | From: nijmegen, netherlands | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.