my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » I've personally witnessed the massacre on Dec.7, 1941 while...

Author Topic: I've personally witnessed the massacre on Dec.7, 1941 while...
THX-1138
Member # 2609

posted 10-15-2000 11:06 AM     Profile for THX-1138   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was flying my Wildcat towards Hickam field for a routine overhaul. I was witness to these happenings, here are some shots thanks to MONDOPEST Pearl Harbor mission for MS:CFS2!

Coming in for regular repair...

Nice view of the Harbor....

Oh my God! what is happening?!!!!!

Maday! Maday! We need immediate Help! My GOD! We Need Help here!

I will never forget this!!!!

These shots where taken by an Athlon700/256 PC-133/Matrox G400MAX!32 camera.

You can download MONDOPEST's mission of Pearl Harbor from:
http://home.pe.net/~themaxx/PH1.zip

------------------
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone."

-Al Capone

[This message has been edited by THX-1138 (edited 10-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by THX-1138 (edited 10-15-2000).]

Posts: 220 | From: Miami, Florida - USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MondoPest
Member # 3086

posted 10-15-2000 03:41 PM     Profile for MondoPest   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thats high praise! Thanks alot, I worked for the whole day to get it where it is. The framerate is bad in it so I find it more interesting to watch from a spectator view. I recently updateted it as well so you might want to re-download it. I have added the approximate positions of the Japanese fleet and the CV-6 Carrier group steaming towards Pearl. Their numbers are just about exact.
Thanks again!

Vector
Member # 463

posted 10-15-2000 06:30 PM     Profile for Vector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It looks pretty good, but I was wondering why the area of Pearl Harbor is not more developed? This is(was?) the United States largest naval base, surely you would see more buildings, airfields, warehouses, etc,. Does Microsoft not use statelite data for the terrain?

These are just small critiques aimed more for Microsoft, I belive the mission looks fabulous

------------------
-\/ector, Flight Sim Sympathizer
LGB Bombing Strategy

Posts: 903 | From: Comox, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
SR
Member # 7183

posted 10-15-2000 06:59 PM     Profile for SR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Too cool , big thanks for sharing that

Man this is going to be great , the addon's missions etc . Now if they only deliever my copy tomorrow

SR

Posts: 142 | From: Michigan , USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
MondoPest
Member # 3086

posted 10-15-2000 07:23 PM     Profile for MondoPest   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I could'nt agree with you more, the whole area of Oahu is surprisingly void of life. The terrain for the area around Ford Island is also somewhat wrong(at least according to naval maps and charts that I used to make this mission). I think Microsoft needs to make some better terrain considering the events that occured there on that day in December.
Ajax
Member # 1986

posted 10-15-2000 07:33 PM     Profile for Ajax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, it doesn't look all that bad. (Okay, I just played a game of AOTP to get my Pac fix till I get CFS2, still... )

I must say, though, that Hawaii in FS98 looks better modeled than in those shots; well anyway, I hope the Salomons and the Coral Sea are prettier

------------------
-Ajax out

--------------------
"Je suis un Canadien québécois, un Français canadien-français. Un Américain du Nord français. Un francophone québécois canadien. On est des Canadiens américains francophones."-Elvis Gratton
--------------------
"You always use violence. I should've ordered glutinous rice chicken" -Anonymous

Hunedog
Member # 94

posted 10-15-2000 07:42 PM     Profile for Hunedog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The terrain textures max out at 256, One of the main reasons for the Awesome FPS IMHO. OTH The objects max out at 1024, Its a tradeoff that's subjective and I for one will take.
Posts: 516 | From: Vancouver BC Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MondoPest
Member # 3086

posted 10-15-2000 07:42 PM     Profile for MondoPest   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now I did have an original version of the mission, two versions ago that had a VERY cluttered building array all over the place. If people think the frame rate is bad now, Whoa! Shoulda seen it then.

[This message has been edited by MondoPest (edited 10-15-2000).]

JustFree_03
Member # 242

posted 10-15-2000 08:04 PM     Profile for JustFree_03   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How do you get to Oahu? I used coordinates
N 22' 25: W 158 and all there was was open ocean.

Posts: 74 | From: Beaverton, Oregon, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hunter Cole
Member # 3440

posted 10-15-2000 10:26 PM     Profile for Hunter Cole   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MondoPest:
I could'nt agree with you more, the whole area of Oahu is surprisingly void of life. The terrain for the area around Ford Island is also somewhat wrong(at least according to naval maps and charts that I used to make this mission). I think Microsoft needs to make some better terrain considering the events that occured there on that day in December.

Oahu in December 7 1941 was not as developed as you think. The Leeward side of the Island was still undeveloped. Honolulu was about the size of a small city, had alot of parks and the jungles in the interior was pretty thick. There was a couple of hiways running around the perimeter of the Island from Kaneohe to Barber's Point. Most of this road connected Ewa, MCAS, Wheeler, Hickham, Kaneohe, Waiewa, Schoolfield Barracks and Pearl.

The most populated area was in Honolulu as well as being the main port. It was WAY different then than what it is now. Today, you have to go out about 40-100 yards to see Diamond Head from Waikiki Beach. Back then there was only a few hotels like the Sheraton (Pink Elephant. There were a couple of coast Defense Batteries- Fort DeRussey, which is a museum now, along the shore. So the scenario is pretty close to the truth as far as infrastructure goes.

As a side, the hangers, barracks at Wheeler and Hickham AFB STILL have the bullet marks from the attack still in them. There are also several bunkers in the mountain tops that cna be still seen on the Windward side.

on december 7th, the Naval air Station @ Kaneohe was the first place hit by the Japanese first strike. They hit the flight line @ 07:55- 5 min before the first bomb hit Pearl. The attack wave split into two prongs- the one coming through Haleva Pass taking Hickham, Schoolfield Barracks and Pearl. The North prong hit Kaneohe and Wheeler then joined the South wing at Pearl before retiring back to the Strike Force.

The only planes that was airborne during the attack was a couple of P-40Bs that was based at the Auxilliary strip at Haleeva. No USN/USMC fighter planes made it into the sky at all during the attack- the Marine F4Fs and Buffalos were all destroyed on the ground.

A couple of F-4Fs from the Enterprise flew in after the attack and was shot down by friendly AAA.

Contrary to stories about the ARIZONA, the ship did not take a bomb down the smoke stack.

A 500lb AP bomb hit between turret #2 and the forecastle. It penetrated down to the magazine and exploded. The magazines were not flooded, as she had suffered a torpedoe strike a few minutes earlier. She was also loaded with Aviation Gas, her fuel bunkers were full and the magazines was loaded with black powder bags for her 16"ers.

The resulting explosion lifted her completely out of the water, broke her in half behind the forecastle and she settled immediately. The force of the blast was felt and heard all the way out to Honolulu. The motion pictures of her that you see on programs dealing with the Attack was the actual blast.

Even today nearly 60 years later, the oil is still seeping from her. In 1991, the Parl Service which maintains her, did a survey of the hulk and determined that it will be about 100 years before she finally falls apart from the rust and the marine life.

You can look into the ship from the memorial.
At one end is a solid marble wall with every name of each sailor and Marine who died on her. Half the casulties suffered at Peral was from her.

Battleship Row has the moorings still there and each mooring is named after the ship that was moored there. The ARIZONA's main guns were salvaged and fitted in several of the Bunkers and were later scrapped at the end of the war. Several of the old BBs like the MARYLAND and PENNSYLVANIA were present in Tokyo Bay 4 years later. OKLAHOMA and ARIZONA was deemed to badly damged to warrnt rebuilding, ARIZONA, of course remains where she sank. OKLAHOMA was raised and sold for scrap. She sank halfway back to California.

ARIZONA remained a death trap as the avaiation gas, live rounds, made removing the dead impossible. Several of the salvage divers died from explosions during this attempt, so it was decided to make her a memorial to the dead of 7 December. She is stilled carried on the roles as an active ship, the only one in the USN, as her crew is still aboard her.

There is still another ship still in the Harbor that remains forgotten- the target ship USS UTAH , a old BB that was mistaken for a carrier due to the wooden timbers placed on her decks and suffered several bombs and torpedoes expended on a useless ship. She reamins where she sank to this day forgotten and rusting away.

It is still an awesome and moving feeling to go across the harbor to Ford Island and see this memorial rising from the harbor. It is one place that is quiet in the busy base. I understand that they have built a new center on Ford Island and have the MISSOURI moored there ( very apprepro).

There is one of the midget subs that was recovered from the harbor after the strike and is on display.

One more item, several civillian casulties occured from rounds from the Harbor.

I spent 3 years there and this stands out as one of the fondest memories I have of Hawaii-along with my son's birth.

Posts: 184 | From: Danville, Va USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MondoPest
Member # 3086

posted 10-16-2000 01:46 AM     Profile for MondoPest   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very informative! I had no idea that the Arizona was still on the active roles. Appropriate, I think. My main problem with Microsoft's terrain lies with the large array of dry docks andwhat not that lie near the lower right hand corner of this pic. Now it could just be that this map is faulty but it looks like we cut up the area pretty good. Microsoft's is nice and smoothed out(like we had never been there). Of course the picture might also be wrong, but I have seen two others tht look remarkably similar. And ideas?

[This message has been edited by MondoPest (edited 10-16-2000).]

Pasha
Member # 3391

posted 10-16-2000 07:16 AM     Profile for Pasha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can download add-on terrain of Oahu, and all the other pacific targets (some even vintage setups!) from www.flightsim.com.

I seem to recall a Pearl era Oahu.

Pasha

BGarcia
Member # 7227

posted 10-16-2000 11:28 AM     Profile for BGarcia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hunter....great information regarding Pearl Harbor. A must see for every WW2 history buff.

Thanks again.

BGarcia
Member # 7227

posted 10-16-2000 11:30 AM     Profile for BGarcia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hunter....great information regarding Pearl Harbor. A must see for every WW2 history buff.

Thanks again.

MikeToth
Member # 762

posted 10-16-2000 11:50 AM     Profile for MikeToth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was in the Navy back in the late 70's and my duty station was on Ford Island.... since I got there without a permanent assignment, I was put on temporary duty assigned to the Naval Station there... anyway for those few weeks until I got my permanent assignment I was fortunate enough to have the honor to raise and lower Old Glory during Colors (morning and evening)...
Myself and another fellow would go out to the Arizona Memorial and do this.... and let me tell you, EVERY time I went out there I got goosebumps during the raising and lowering of the flag.... it was THE most
proud moment of my time spent in the Navy... and yes the oil was still seeping from the hull after all of those years..... very emotional for me, thinking of all of those men entombed beneath the water...... I also remember every December the Pearl Harbor Survivors would come to Pearl for ceremonies and they would take us young guys out on the town and buy us all the cocktails we wanted( we also did for them in return).... It was the best place for duty, bar none....

Hat's off to all the folks who served during that War......

Mike

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hunter Cole
Member # 3440

posted 10-16-2000 07:56 PM     Profile for Hunter Cole   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MondoPest:
Very informative! I had no idea that the Arizona was still on the active roles. Appropriate, I think. My main problem with Microsoft's terrain lies with the large array of dry docks andwhat not that lie near the lower right hand corner of this pic. Now it could just be that this map is faulty but it looks like we cut up the area pretty good. Microsoft's is nice and smoothed out(like we had never been there). Of course the picture might also be wrong, but I have seen two others tht look remarkably similar. And ideas?

[This message has been edited by MondoPest (edited 10-16-2000).]

The map is accurate. These are the exact positions of the PacFlt on 7 Dec. 41. The areas not hit or overlooked by the Japanese strike was the fuel farm, which if taken out would have forced what was left of the pacific Fleet back to San Diego. The dry docks on suffered supeficial damage, repairs were done within 3-6 months after the attack- the big crane was a impotant key to the repair of the ships. if this had been taken out the major repairs to some of the ships like the YORKTOWN after Coral Sea wouldn't have been possible.

The subs and the sub pens were also overlooked during the attack. The fleet subs immediately began to take the war to the Japanese merchant marine with in a few weeks of the strike.

Posts: 184 | From: Danville, Va USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.