my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Top Speed Drops after Skip to Next Action?

Author Topic: Top Speed Drops after Skip to Next Action?
Vancouver
Member # 6550

posted 10-14-2000 04:34 PM     Profile for Vancouver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anyone have any insight into the following problem?

In campaign, after hitting X to skip to the next action, my plane's top speed drops significantly. For example, after hitting X in a F4F with a guns only loadout at approx 6,000 ft, I max out at about 200 kts in level flight. Prior to hitting X, I was able to get nearer 250 kts. The bombers that I'm supposed to be intercepting end up outrunning me to the target.

This also happened in an A6M5 trying to chase down some B-24s. They just pulled away as though they were flying some 100 kts faster.

The manual does say that the engine settings will be set for cruise mode when you use the X key, so I thought that might be the problem. However, I have ensured that I reset the throttle, RPM and fuel mixture for high speed performance. No drop tanks, canopy closed, gear up, flaps retracted, cowl flaps closed, nothing that should induce parasite drag.

Any ideas?

Posts: 147 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ScabFace
Member # 609

posted 10-14-2000 06:33 PM     Profile for ScabFace   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As I remember this is similar to CFS1. The effect is annoying but only mildly so. I just advance the throttle to max power as soon as I am teleported to the target area then throttle back to expected setting. REAL CFS2 pilots don't use the X key feature at all & fly all the way to their target & back & land with all target id off & no tactical display. (Just kidding, of course).
ScabFace

Posts: 92 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hitech1
Member # 3004

posted 10-14-2000 06:33 PM     Profile for Hitech1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Try looking at the 15 (i think) FAQ on this page http://support.microsoft.com/support/games/fsim/faq/combat/2/default.asp

Hitech

Posts: 87 | From: Tampa, Florida USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Vancouver
Member # 6550

posted 10-14-2000 06:47 PM     Profile for Vancouver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you gents! The answer was indeed in the FAQ. Apparently, this can be a problem when Enable Auto-Mixture is turned off.
S.

Posts: 147 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.