my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » Want good advice? GET THIS SIM!!!

Author Topic: Want good advice? GET THIS SIM!!!
Warspite
Member # 1455

posted 10-12-2000 03:52 AM     Profile for Warspite   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thats right! Get it because it is the best WW2 combat sim ever! Gentlemen from the graphics to the modeling this is top notch stuff here. I am getting the best frame rates on my AMDK6-2 450mhz, 128mb ram, viper v770 ultra and thats with everything cranked up to max. So those of you who are worried about that then don't be it runs better then anything out there right now. This is also considering the best graphics you are going to see and still VERY smooth frame rates.

The mission editor is super awesome I must say. In fact I built a Pearl Harbor scenario from scratch complete with the famous Battleship row and Jap carriers. I had Oahu and Pearl setup pretty nice. To create this whole mission only took me like 30 minutes kid you not! I was playing it about 5 minutes after I finished it and had a blast.

Out of box CFS2 allows you to fly the fighter planes of the Pacific. You can't fly any torpedo or dive bombers but don't worry though because at least they are there and the fighters do carry general purpose bombs. In the campaign you certainly have a host of air-ground missions. Another thing too, just like FS2000 and CFS, you can add aircraft, scenery, models, the whole nine yards. So you can always d/l bombers or whatever you want and set it up in CFS2 with not much trouble at all.

All of the ship models look great as well. They have all sorts of ships from Carriers and Battleships to Transports, etc. A bunch of ground objects are included too.

Oh, the Flak from the ships and ground AA will tear your plane apart! You really have to be careful around that stuff or you will end up getting your feet wet or struggling to get back to your carrier or airfield.

One last thing...I strongly, repeat strongly recommend getting a joystick that has a throttle, rudder and hat such as the Sidewinder 3D pro.

-Warspite-

pops
Member # 129

posted 10-12-2000 05:26 AM     Profile for pops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice to see the excitement!

I think (?) someone ??Airbudda?? mentioned that if you put an .airfile and a panel in the non-flyables, they can be flown too. Cool or what?

Hope to get my copy TODAY!

Thanks for the heads-up.

Posts: 52 | From: Edgewood, Kentucky USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
dwitt
Member # 2844

posted 10-12-2000 06:34 AM     Profile for dwitt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Pops, I'm next door to you in Alexandia, Ky. Drop me an email. What other sims do you fly? [email protected]
Posts: 312 | From: alexandria, ky usa | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wired
Member # 3457

posted 10-12-2000 08:25 PM     Profile for Wired   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Warspite

Thank you for taking the time to share a short review with us. I have been reading all the reviews on this one ever since MS announced CFS2.

It sounds exciting because if you prefer ground attacks they are in the Simulation or if your preference is sinking supply ships or carriers you can do that as well. If you like dogfighting that too is available.

From what I read, this simulation has good FM, FPS and a mission editor that is second to none. If this simulation lives up to all that I have read about it, than it will be the Simulation that I and others have been waiting a long time for a developer to produce.

I always thought EA/Janes would make such a Sim, but never dreamed that Microsoft would be the one to do it.

I thought I would be receiving my Pre-ordered copy in the mail from EB World today, but it did not come. And so far I have not had a confirmation that it will ship on Friday, October the 13.

If there is any one reading this post who has received a confirmation for EB World, to ship, please let the rest of us know. Thanks!

Over and Out
Wired

Posts: 47 | From: Quakertown, PA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
bonzo
Member # 2124

posted 10-12-2000 08:54 PM     Profile for bonzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
where an how much did you pay?...I went to eb
and they didnt have it here on the west coast
I almost beat up the clerk they had dam well better have it tommarrow!

Posts: 97 | From: santa barbra calif | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Private Roger
Member # 763

posted 10-13-2000 04:20 AM     Profile for Private Roger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Best WW2 Combat Sim ever? Wow!

How is the multiplayer? Can you fly Co-op mission in it? How many people at once?
Did they make the engine sounds better than CFS? Boy those were pathetic.

Do the ships really move or are they static? When making mission do you give the ships waypoints? Are you able to man the rear guns on any of the aircraft, i.e. the Dauntless?

Info, I need info.

PR

Posts: 74 | From: Dallas, Texas USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jeeves
Member # 6875

posted 10-13-2000 02:07 PM     Profile for Jeeves   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heya PR...

The sounds you heard in the beta you played around with were still from CFS I believe. If it helps you visualize-- Meatwater did sounds for CFS2 and we know how much SDOE became better for his sounds...and YES-- the carriers pitch and roll...now I need $45 to buy it- I have been reading up on it for weeks!!

------------------
Jeeves =FC=

Posts: 26 | From: Saratoga Springs, NY- USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Private Roger
Member # 763

posted 10-13-2000 08:51 PM     Profile for Private Roger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jeeves

Pitch & roll.....I was asking if they move and I meant in a forward direction. You know, something you would need for assigning waypoints in mission building.
Meatwater made the sounds? Thats good I guess, but not a sure thing. He also made the sounds for Panzer Elite, and many users of that game have gone to great pains to change those.

Still, the questions regarding mutiplayer remain unanswered. Multiplayer should be ground breaking if this sim is to earn the best sim ever award some are throwing around.

PR

Posts: 74 | From: Dallas, Texas USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
rsalo
Member # 1722

posted 10-13-2000 10:40 PM     Profile for rsalo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's true CFS2 is a winner for sure boy's and you don't need a high end machine to run it at the max! My system spec's: PIII 550 not o'clk, 256 sdram, Voodoo4 AGP, running at 1024x768x32 all item's maxed or there about's.
Juggernaut
Member # 3780

posted 10-13-2000 11:01 PM     Profile for Juggernaut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Private Roger:
Best WW2 Combat Sim ever? Wow!

How is the multiplayer? Can you fly Co-op mission in it? How many people at once?
Did they make the engine sounds better than CFS? Boy those were pathetic.

PR

Hi.

From what I have read, there are absolutely no cooperative missions. The only thing you can fly online is dogfight. That is too bad...and is the only reason I might wait for the price to drop before buying it.

I have heard the sounds in the sim are excellent.

Juggernaut

Posts: 453 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mk10 225th
Member # 7259

posted 10-14-2000 10:05 AM     Profile for Mk10 225th   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey! Lookit here! It's pops, Jeeves, and PR!

S!

[This message has been edited by Mk10 225th (edited 10-14-2000).]

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.