my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Title-specific)   » MS Combat Flight Simulator 2   » # of planes in the air?

Author Topic: # of planes in the air?
Li'lJugs
Member # 5015

posted 10-05-2000 08:39 AM     Profile for Li'lJugs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If I ever read comments on this subject, I forgot the answer. Does anyone know? One of the things that got real old real fast in CFS1 was the small formations, especially one's own squadron or flight.
Posts: 1495 | From: State of Confusion | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dickby
Member # 2950

posted 10-05-2000 11:29 AM     Profile for Dickby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jugs,
There are several mission creating programs available that are very easy to use
that will allow you to put as many planes in the air as you want.CFSME and CFS mission editor,both available at Simviation.
I am sure we are going to have to depend
on the CFSII communitynto add what this new
sim is bound to lack.
Dickby

Posts: 108 | From: Trumbull,Ct U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
p51f4u
Member # 7108

posted 10-05-2000 08:23 PM     Profile for p51f4u   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The frame rate is much nicer and gentler on your PC than 1 and it looks a hell of a lot better.

At one point I was in a furball with 35 different aircraft and not once did the thing hiccup. I did get my feathers ruffled quite a bit, but my 350 PII with 192 RAM and ATA66 hard drive never missed a bit. Hands up to MS to improving upon the old and making shinier without slaughtering your PC in exchange.

Airbuddha
Member # 227

posted 10-05-2000 09:49 PM     Profile for Airbuddha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Li'lJugs

Jason Waskey, the artist (on the CFS2 development team) who is in charge of special effects, created a mission with over 120 planes.

All settings were maxed out while running at 1280x1024 on a PII 400, 128MB RAM, and a TNT2 Ultra. He averaged 12 frames per second (maxed out).

I turned my settings down a bit and got much better framerated in the 20+ range.

Is that enough planes?

Airbuddha
The Hangar

Posts: 430 | From: Slipper Gut, WV, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Li'lJugs
Member # 5015

posted 10-08-2000 04:26 PM     Profile for Li'lJugs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Airbuddha, yep! That's enough!

I guess it is coming out this week, so if I can wrangle 24 hours off this weekend, I'll have to put yet another flightsim on the ol' HD! (And some people are complaining about the lack of flightsims-I have 5 now, and that is only scratching the surface of what is available! And, IMHO, they all have some good points.)

Posts: 1495 | From: State of Confusion | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Burner
Member # 185

posted 10-08-2000 04:48 PM     Profile for Burner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would be interested in hearing how many human flown planes you guys were able to connect with in multiplayer?

------------------

BURNER

Combat Flight Simulation
www.AerialCombat.com

kbedford
Member # 1451

posted 10-10-2000 05:41 AM     Profile for kbedford   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi,
I wrote 'one' of the Cfs mission editors and used it to create a mission for CFS 1 with about 128 bombers and 1 spitfire - its called balbo and bundled with the editor if anyones interested.
//members.xoom.com/KeithBedford/
Frame rate is single-figures till you shoot down a few!
---
I was assuming Microsoft would have learnt the lesson and bundled an editor with CFS 2 - is this correct? Did the beta come with an editor? Has the mission file format changed?
-
Cheers,
Keith

Posts: 71 | From: Hemel Hempstead,UK | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.