my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » I'm going to buy Longbow 2, some questions...

Author Topic: I'm going to buy Longbow 2, some questions...
Dann
Member # 5473

posted 12-28-2000 12:52 PM     Profile for Dann   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, I've spent the better part of two (work) days reading about EECH, Apache-Havoc, and Longbow 2.

I want Longbow 2, for a variety of reasons including graphics, campaign, and flying the Apache and the Blackhawk.

First question: I read that it does not run well on newer machines, having been coded for 133Mhz etc. What are you guys running Longbow 2 on, and how well does it run? My system: PIII 500 voodoo3 3000, 256MB RAM, runs Falcon perfectly.

Second question: suggestions on where to buy...I'm having a hard time finding it.

Thanks to all in advance,

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Dan

Dondo
Member # 4176

posted 12-28-2000 01:39 PM     Profile for Dondo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Dan, I run LB2 on a K6-2 533, 192 ram, SB Live and VooDoo 3 2000, I have never had a problem with it at all...I do not think that you would either. Even if you do, just run some stuff in the background to take up system resources (lol....don't think I would try that with the current crop of sims out there!!)
As far as buying it, I know alot of people are looking for it and I have not seen it even in the bargin bin at various stores in months....can't find it online either. I was thinking about selling mine, but decided against it in that it is still in my opinion the best helicopter sim out there. Hope you find a copy....look for the Longbow Anthology if you can....has all the patches and the origional LB in it as well. Good luck!

Dondo

------------------
"Impossible?....watch this..."

DM
Member # 1845

posted 12-28-2000 07:17 PM     Profile for DM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm running mine on an AMD K6-3 @450, 256 mb RAM, TNT2 Ultra (but the game uses my Voodoo 2 secondary card) Soundblaster Live Value.

Runs fine on mine, when I first got it I only had a Pentium 120 & 16 mb RAM but now I can run it with virtual cockpit & smooth gameplay.

------------------
"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."

Posts: 307 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
crawlmjk
Member # 7170

posted 12-29-2000 12:40 AM     Profile for crawlmjk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dann, I have your same system specs (except I only have 128Mb RAM) and Longbow 2 runs just fine on my system. You've got nothing to worry about. I don't know what problems you've heard about with faster machines. Haven't heard that. The only ones I'm aware of are a patch needed if you have more than 366MB of RAM (and I would guess that's most likely for Windows 95)and the patch for non-voodoo cards which you don't need to worry about.

As far as purchasing, you will be luckier than I if you can find it new. Just searched for it everywhere retail and online a couple of months ago with no luck. Long out of print apparently. Ended up buying used on Ebay. Always lots of cheap copies there, some advertised as new.

Dann
Member # 5473

posted 12-29-2000 10:27 AM     Profile for Dann   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi guys, THANKS FOR THE ANSWERS!!!!

I found a new copy of Longbow Anthology at www.cdaccess.com at least until they email me back and say "sorry, we're out and our webpage needs updating." Ran into that at another site.

Okay, so it's gonna run fine on my system; I suspected that...and now I can't wait!

Just to let you guys know, it was Falcon 4.0 that got me interested in a good helo sim. After setting up TE after TE, using Strike Eagles, Blackhawk's in SAR roles, Apaches in antiarmor roles, etc...I bought Janes F-15 and now Longbow 2 to "see" firsthand how these weapon systems "work," assuming they are accurately modeled.

Again, thanks for the information!

Si Vis etc

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dann (edited 12-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Dann (edited 12-29-2000).]

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.