my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Gunship!(?)

Author Topic: Gunship!(?)
darryl
Member # 812

posted 12-28-2000 07:02 AM     Profile for darryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, I needed to relax. give the old brain a rest while waiting on a crashed (d:\)hardrive warranty issue. c:\ is only 6.8 gig. I didn't want to use a lot of that space up, so in goes Gunship!.
Know what? Even though it's the "Monica" of heli-sims it doesn't blow that badly. Also, it really proves how good it is to stay down in the bushes! Seriously, for all it's flames, it's an adequate tactics trainer, I think. I say so because it does teach you (a lesson) about the importance of staying down, and seeking cover. Playing cat-and-mouse with enemy helos, and anti-air assets in a battle zone is it's own reward since incoming missles arive with very little warning.
Know what else I rediscovered? Graphics at higher rez. The helos look very nice indeed.
The patches help a little with the flight model. I can now dash from cover to cover without worrying about balloning too high. I know, use the altitude control setting.
Hasbro performed a deep disservice to it's customers with this game, allowing it's beancounters, and marketers to hold sway (if that's how it went down). The game is a sow's ear, not the silk purse everyone wanted it to be. Keep that in mind, and it has value.
Until my 30-gig hard drive is returned, I'm going lite: Gunship!, USAF, and CFS2.
Habro; bad. Gunship!;OK. Monica!; good!
keep low.
darryl

Posts: 60 | From: cincinati, ohio, usa | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 12-29-2000 11:41 AM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am just soo freaking pissed that this game had such great visuals, but was dumbed down into being just a shooter.
I want the depth of Longbow II, with uptodate Geforce T&L optimised graphics. And Janes themselves are such boneheads to think if they just made a heli sim like this it wouldn`t make money?
Damn rights it would sell. GS is a console game... if they really want to make some money they ought to make GS a DC or PSX port.

darryl
Member # 812

posted 12-29-2000 02:01 PM     Profile for darryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shataan,
tell me how you really feel! j/k. I know what you're saying,and agree with every word. But we'll not get our druthers. To enjoy the game, lower your expectations. I hope the game isn't going ctd in the campaign like mine does sometimes. I have LB-2, EEAH, and EECH, plus KA52. That's enough of a spectrum for me. Gunhip! isn't the bottom-feeder here, or rather it's tied with KA52.
Hasbro won't win. It didn't intend the game to be this good, and the customers didn't intend it to be this bad. So, Hasbro got over on us one last time. It lives no more in sims (forever).
darryl

Posts: 60 | From: cincinati, ohio, usa | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 12-29-2000 07:16 PM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ya know I liked KAs graphics better actually. But I just think the heli looks kinda, well ... I just wish it woulda been an Apache. hehheh If it was, I would have bought it.
Out of all the terrains of KA, GS, and EECH? KAs terrains AND helis rocked. But I am just not a fan of KAs helis.
If a Longbow heli sim ever arrives with it ALL enhanced, with not one area taking it over from the others... I will buy it.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.