my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » lb2 - probs on new system

Author Topic: lb2 - probs on new system
faker
Member # 8856

posted 12-23-2000 03:16 AM     Profile for faker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi all

Been a while since I've flown lb2 on my old p166 with 32mb ram..

Fired the bird up again the other day on my p3 700, with the d3d graphics patch from Janes, and noticed something weird - The keyboard repeat rate in lb2 is exceptionally slow. This can be seen when panning a view using the keyboard, or (to my great frustration) when trying to use the keyboard rudder! In a stationary hover, it takes me more than 30 secs to do a complete 360 degree turn!!

No need to point out that this stinks big time and makes it impossible to fly the chopper.

So I plugged out my HOTAS (thinking it might be my Suncom Talon stick), and tried again - No joy - Same problem.....

Has anyone stumbled onto this problem before? I dont have this problem in any of my other sims..... Any fixes you know of???

Thanks
Faker

+G
Member # 6747

posted 12-23-2000 10:29 AM     Profile for +G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can adjust your Keyboard repeat rate in Control panel, some systems allow you to adjust it in the BIOS.

Could be something to try..

Posts: 64 | From: Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mav2929
Member # 5715

posted 12-24-2000 12:47 AM     Profile for Mav2929   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Had the same prob with LB2 on my PIII 500 which I did't have with my old P133. Called customer support and they said to lower the graphics setting. (Yeah, right) Anyway, been playing it lately and haven't had any problems since I bought some CH rudder pedals. Moves like it should and the pedals make a big difference in being able to pilot your helo. Also I'm running a Voodoo 5 card in 4 FSAA. Runs smooth as hell and looks great. You ought to pick one up. Makes a big difference in FPS on all the flight sims.
Mxyzptlk
Member # 7711

posted 12-24-2000 08:11 PM     Profile for Mxyzptlk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't know about buying a V5. I heard that all support is going to stop completely since Nvidia bought up 3DFX. I wish I could find a copy of LB2. I would buy a Voodoo 2 probably just to be able to play this classic again.
faker
Member # 8856

posted 12-25-2000 01:11 AM     Profile for faker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tips Mav.

Yes, I spoke to Flexman about this (Richard Hawley ex simhq combat helo section editor), and he gave me his two cents on the situation - He believes it has something to do with the way programmers used to approximate floating point arithmetic using normal integer CPU instructions (because the latter are quicker). The downside of this method is that a few weird things start to happen when you run this code on powerful machined where the fps is pretty high (mne is a p3 700)- a slow keyboard repeat rate is one of them.

Anyway, he said that, as far as he is concerned, a set of analogue rudder pedals shoud fix it. And you've just confirmed that MAV. So my CH Pro Pedals are awaiting pickup tomorrow at the local DHL office :-)

To test Flexman's theory, I looked for ways to lower the fps - Running lb2 in software mode seemed to do the trick in all views, except the default 2d front cockpit view (as this is the view with the quickest fps!). In the outside and full 3d cockpit views the panning and keyboard rudder worked like I remembered them - On the 2d inside cockpit view, it was slow again..... So I guess that confirms Flexman's very interesting theory.....

BTW, I'm running lb2 using the Janes EA official lb2 d3d patch on a Nvidia gts 2 on detonator drivers, and it works great - There are a few small graphic anomalies (streaking lines on some explosions), but it works just fine for the rest of it. So those without voodoo cards, don't fret - lb2 looks great with the d3d patch!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

Enjoy the Christmas season with family and friends.

Regards
Faker

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.