my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Whats the best chopper Sim out?

Author Topic: Whats the best chopper Sim out?
FIREFLYER
Member # 8755

posted 12-19-2000 04:16 AM     Profile for FIREFLYER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is there anything out there for choppers like janes USAF is for Jets??
awesome graphics ect ect.......
Thanks

Posts: 2 | From: Sterling,Ak USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Eliminator
Member # 7959

posted 12-19-2000 10:24 AM     Profile for Eliminator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The best helo sim is Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs Hokum. I have played it over 6 months and cant get enough of it. This game rocks! Its really worth of buying!
Posts: 10 | From: Heinola, Finland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
+G
Member # 6747

posted 12-19-2000 05:24 PM     Profile for +G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For the price Longbow 2 is a good deal.

I own it and EECH+EEAH. They both have their strengths, but out of the two I think LB2 is better.

Posts: 64 | From: Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Orangutan
Member # 104

posted 12-20-2000 02:33 AM     Profile for Orangutan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you are looking for a helo sim with good gfx you really have plenty to choose from.

Gunship has probably the best graphics of the bunch (of course this is a matter of personal taste). It has received a lot of flaming on these boards. I, for one, enjoy it as a shoot'em-up for which it is great. A true sim it is not. Well, the UK edition box made no such clai

Then, in the sim-lite department you have Team Apache and I believe Team Alligator falls into this category too. They have decent graphics and at least Team Apache is pretty fun.

LB2 is probably the hardest-core of helo sims. The graphics are still pretty good, IMO, despite it being three years old. That is if you have a Glide capable, i.e. 3dfx video card and you can live with 640x480 res.
It has a good and immersive campaign and detailed avionics suite. The latter can be a tad overwhelming but you can make a wide range of realism/difficulty adjustments.

Enemy Engaged Comanche Hokum does not have as detailed systems management but in every other respect it is at least as good as LB2.
The graphics, while good, may appear toy-like to some. My gripes are the somewhat garish colours and bland terrain which makes judging altitude by eyeball very hard. But the amount of object detail is just plain amazing! If you get EECH try to get a copy of EE Apache Havoc too. You won't regret it.

If you want a great helo sim and don't mind early-mid 90's graphics try to find a copy of Digital Integration's HIND. I believe some of the EECH/EEAH team worked on this one earlier. Graphics aside this one is really cool. If only they made HIND2. All they would need to do is overhaul the gfx and implement padlocking! Okay, a true dynamic campaign wouldn't be bad either.
There is a 3dfx patch which you may, with luck, get to work with a Voodoo1 or Voodoo2.

Cheers,
Orangutan

Posts: 70 | From: Helsinki, Finland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
CEP}I{AHT
Member # 328

posted 12-20-2000 04:34 AM     Profile for CEP}I{AHT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orangutan:
...If only they made HIND2. All they would need to do is overhaul the gfx and implement padlocking! ...

Hang on - padlocking is in HIND. Either WSO tracks the target or you can padlock it yourself. What did you mean?

------------------
IHS=RAF=
KaMiREDs
http://virtalet-RAF.fly.to

Posts: 151 | From: FSU | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Orangutan
Member # 104

posted 12-21-2000 01:10 AM     Profile for Orangutan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Padlocking like in EECH where you can orient your vision to a target/threat without neccessarily locking yuor weapons to it.

Padlocking or not, HIND should belong to every serious (helo) sim fan's cdollection!

Cheers,
Orangutan

[This message has been edited by Orangutan (edited 12-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Orangutan (edited 12-21-2000).]

Posts: 70 | From: Helsinki, Finland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
CEP}I{AHT
Member # 328

posted 12-21-2000 03:43 AM     Profile for CEP}I{AHT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orangutan:
...Padlocking or not, HIND should belong to every serious (helo) sim fan's cdollection!

Amen to that, comrade

------------------
IHS=RAF=
KaMiREDs

comelyone
Member # 6350

posted 12-21-2000 10:37 PM     Profile for comelyone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is there a dynamic campaign in EEAH?

comely

------------------
"Straighten Up, Fly Right!"

Posts: 11 | From: Wesley Chapel, FL | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
CEP}I{AHT
Member # 328

posted 12-22-2000 03:45 AM     Profile for CEP}I{AHT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by comelyone:
Is there a dynamic campaign in EEAH?
comely

Yeap absolutely and it's quite unique in it's goodness and features!

------------------
IHS=RAF=
KaMiREDs

Enforcer
Member # 85

posted 12-22-2000 06:28 AM     Profile for Enforcer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, they are three dynamic campaigns in EEAH.

Enfo.

Posts: 342 | From: Brossard, Qubec, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.