my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » LB2 no cd patch?

Author Topic: LB2 no cd patch?
new guy10
unregistered

posted 12-12-2000 08:28 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi all, I just re-installed LB2 (great sim!) and I was wondering if anybody is using a no-cd patch for it? If so, where can I find it? Not that big a deal really, just curious.

later
new guy

IP: Logged
Simracer
unregistered

posted 12-12-2000 09:37 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have looked for it myself, but couldn't find it, but as I have some basic knowledge of "hex patching" I have made a limited patch myself. The only thing is that this kind of patching is mostly called "cracking" and is illigal and therefore I can't give you the instructions how to do it here.

No-CD on LB2 is limited to (mine anyway) starting the game and playing missions in the currently installed area (NTC or AZR), but if you play NTC and want to play a mission in AZR you need CD2 anyway to decompess it to the HD. To be able to play it totally without the CD requires bigger changes to the EXE, or you can use a file called "HatchetsNoDecompC" which you can find
on one of the best supported LB2 sites together with a NO-CD patch. The problem with this approach is that it takes maybe a GIG of space on your disk...

Ahh...one last note there could be a possibility to use a program called "Virtual CD 2000" or similar to get rid of the CD, but I haven't checked it.

Good luck!

cya

IP: Logged
Skybird
Member # 4668

posted 12-12-2000 01:32 PM     Profile for Skybird   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I LOVE to hear that CD swirling around in the drive - reminds my of a working rotor...

Posts: 208 | From: Münster, Germany | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
+G
Member # 6747

posted 12-13-2000 07:00 PM     Profile for +G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think there is one, however there's a trick to fool it.

Taken from an old post I made.
==================================

Using FAKECD and some tips posted earlier I had success!

Here's what I had to do.

Create a directory called LB2_207F on your computer. You can create this
anywhere, just make sure you don't go over 8 characters for this directory
name. You'll also need a disk drive with at least 1.8 Gig of free HD space.
You'll be able to claim a lot of it back later.

Using Windows Explorer copy the entire contents of both LB2 CD's to this
directory! Ouch.

Copy FAKECD.EXE to your C:\WINDOWS directory (do a web search for FAKECD.EXE
it's everywhere, if your really stuck I'll Email it to you). You can put
this file any where on your hard drive(s). Just make note of where it is
and refer to it properly in the next step.

Using Notepad or Edit, you'll need to modify your C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT file.
Make sure you have Windows started when you edit this, if you run a dual
boot system. Add the following to it.

C:\WINDOWS\FAKECD.EXE C:\LB2_207F /L:J

*Note - You can substitute C:\LB2_207F for any directory, just refer to it
properly when you modify AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Also I choose J for my drive letter, but any unused and free drive letter
will do. I choose J, short for Janes.

Reboot.

Your system now has a new, fake, CDROM J: drive.

Using Windows Explorer, go to the J: drive and run the SETUP.EXE file. This
starts the LB2 install.

Make sure you do a Custom Install and select Full Copy (420MB). Note the
directory location of the install.

After it's installed, go to the J: drive and delete EVERY file EXCEPT the
following;

Keep each and every *.tre file
Keep the jlb2cd01 and jlb2cd02 files
Keep the map directory and it's entire contents.

Once you've done this first clean up, copy the *.tre files from J: to your
Longbow2 install directory you noted ealier. Once copied you can remove the
*.tre files from J: (cutting and pasting would be quicker).

This should leave the J: drive with just the map directory and it's contents
and the two jlb* files.

Start LB2 and enjoy a CD Free experience!

PS - If someone knows where Longbow hides its CD Install information
(registry or *.ini file) we could probably lessen the amount of copy disk
space required for the install part!

Posts: 64 | From: Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
bighead111
Member # 3318

posted 12-14-2000 09:23 AM     Profile for bighead111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi G,

By using your tricks, can they actually fool any other games??

Posts: 299 | From: london | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
+G
Member # 6747

posted 12-14-2000 02:13 PM     Profile for +G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This works for this game. I haven't tried it with others as the newer ones usually have NO-CD patches ala www.gamecopyworld.com.

Another good no CD-ROM tool is Virtual CDROM, version 1.0 is floating around the Internet, works with EAW for example, however you need to make an image of the whold CD so you'll need alot of disk space.

Posts: 64 | From: Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
bighead111
Member # 3318

posted 12-15-2000 06:30 AM     Profile for bighead111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks G.

Does fakeCD work for multible games, like making two or three or four fake cds at the same time?

Posts: 299 | From: london | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
+G
Member # 6747

posted 12-16-2000 06:29 AM     Profile for +G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, you can make several fake CD's. Just load it twice pointing to another directory. Keep in mind this won't defeat the advanced copy protection schemes.

I usually start them higher up, say at L:.

I usually reserver E: for my real CD. C:/D: for my real HDs. F:, G:, H: for network shares.

PS - I don't condone WAREZ, please use this information to save your originals from undo wear and tear.

JoBe
Member # 6806

posted 12-20-2000 09:28 AM     Profile for JoBe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I tried to play LB2 without CD using the fakecd program, but I could not copy the azr_h.map file from the CD to my harddrive. Maybe a copy protection? I use the german version of LB2. The CD is entitled Lb2_208_f_2g perhaps this is not the same version as on the Lb2_207F CD.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.