my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » WOW!

Author Topic: WOW!
Kraut
Member # 513

posted 11-28-2000 05:33 PM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just tried a friends Gunship. My first crack @ an eggbeater & finding it quite challenging thus enjoyable. Really impressive graphics & controls. Is this a good one to get "aquainted" with or should I search further afield? I would really like some opinions. Thanks!
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Posts: 754 | From: Kitchener Ont. Can. | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
DelphiMT
Member # 5079

posted 11-28-2000 05:57 PM     Profile for DelphiMT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gunship certainly has a lot of potential. The visuals are stunning, the enemy are deadly, and the immersion can be very deep. My advice is that if you enjoy it, stick to the single missions, as the campaigns can be quite frustrating (you fail if you kill 90% of the enemy, but a certain tank gets through, and your wingman have a habit of popping up to 200ft and hovering -- can you say "target"?). The mission builder can be great fun.

The waypoint system is seriously broken, so don't be surprised if you can't move waypoints during a mission.

Anyway, it can be a great deal of fun if you watch out for these issues.

-DelphiMT out.

Posts: 25 | From: Bozeman, MT USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
K6_Scorp
Member # 4025

posted 11-28-2000 11:10 PM     Profile for K6_Scorp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I flew Longbow/Longbow 2... I also flew Gunship for a few days. Gunship has nice graphics, but other than that...ehhh.. If you want a great helo sim, go get Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs. Hokum which is compatible with it's predecessor Enemy Engaged: Apache vs Havoc. EECH is great, read any review, they all agree, IT ROCKS!

------------------
AGILE, MOBILE, HOSTILE

Posts: 195 | From: Sunny Southern California | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
CEP}I{AHT
Member # 328

posted 11-29-2000 03:53 AM     Profile for CEP}I{AHT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeap Gunship! is a catchy thing, the more you play though the more frustration you come across unfortunately.

The waypoint system in terms of activation and changing is confusing at best. With patch it was at least fixed while not even working properly in the release version. But to cycle or select waypoint is hell of a job through menu. Besides, activation doesn't actually change carret on your HUD to the desired waypoint and order to go to the next WP will delete previous one.
In MP some of the map info could be seen by one but not the other player! You can't transfer the targets to wingmen, at least I couldn't find the way.
The settings seems to be enforced by the server in MP, but I have a suspision that player vulnerability is not, which sucks. In some situations it's almost useless to struggle against enemy units in cover as you always gonna get shot (especially on enemuy skill level above good) and on realistic set couple of hits from guns is death (not even mentioning the missiles)! To engage strikes from support you have to set a ref point over enemy position and that's sucide.
I donno may be I'm used to other control system e.g. from EECvH, but GS is frustrating. Unless you turn on respawn and turn down enemy skills some missions are just IMPOSSIBLE!

I still hope that EECvH mods would actually alow to brighten the landscapes on custom maps to the impressive extent of GS.

------------------
IHS=RAF=
KaMiREDs
http://virtalet-RAF.fly.to

Posts: 151 | From: FSU | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
DelphiMT
Member # 5079

posted 12-01-2000 10:28 AM     Profile for DelphiMT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
CEP}I{AHT-

I agree 100% with what you say. GS sure has a lot of potential, but I doubt Hasblo will ever finish it properly.

BTW, you can edit the canned campaign missions to make them less difficult, and more realistic IMHO.

-DelphiMT out.

Posts: 25 | From: Bozeman, MT USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kraut
Member # 513

posted 12-10-2000 06:13 PM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Because of the posts about EECH, I went out & rented it. It's a little more involved than GS. I'm liking GS but I'm liking this one as well. Hehe!!! Just a "little" more involved. Did I say a little more involved? Itsahandfull to say the least but I'm finding it interesting. I'm just talking the FM & all its' procedures. Nothing with radars or weapons yet.
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Posts: 754 | From: Kitchener Ont. Can. | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.