my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Help on choosing new (And First) Helo sim

Author Topic: Help on choosing new (And First) Helo sim
F-16Man
unregistered

posted 11-14-2000 03:35 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi all,
Lately I really want to fly a helo. I've decided to get either: Jane's Longbow Anthology, Apache vs. Havoc, or Commanche Hokum. Which should I get and how will they run, look, play, etc on my system?

Sims: MSFS98, USAF, IAF, F2, FC, 668i

Specs: eMachines 433
96MB of RAM
4.3 Gigs, but only 1.5 left (I'm going to add 10GB soon)
40X CD Rom
ATI All in Wonder 128 32MB
W98 SE
DirectX 7.0a
Saitek X36 USB HOTAS (It's uninstalled now, I'll reinstall it once the new SGE comes out)

Thanks in advance,
F-16Man

IP: Logged
Clydewinder
Member # 3006

posted 11-14-2000 03:54 PM     Profile for Clydewinder   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it's an easy choice:

Get Comanche Hokum! It's the best out there.

Then fish a copy of Apache Havok out of the discount bin and install that one too! ( They will interconnect when installed together )

I was a huge Longbow fan when the sim came out but it's hard to recommend it now. Unless you have a 3DFX brand graphics card, the graphics support is very twitchy.

Posts: 97 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
F-16Man
unregistered

posted 11-14-2000 04:32 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay,
But how will it work on my system? Also, I heard it doesn't work well with USB. What about that? Also, I have an Intel Celeron, if that helps.

Thanks,
F-16Man

yeppers
unregistered

posted 11-14-2000 08:01 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i say Longbow, because you can stick you and your friend into a single choppper and go kick butt together. I don't think u can do that in EECH
F-16Man
unregistered

posted 11-14-2000 08:40 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone Else?
LIONPRIDE
Member # 3534

posted 11-14-2000 10:33 PM     Profile for LIONPRIDE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GUNSHIP: Arcade style, dumbed-down Flight model and game play, very good graphics even for low-end putes. Not hard-core sim. Learning curve is low, manual isn't very useful.

COMANCHE vs. HOKUM: Great Flight model, decent graphics, dynamic campaign, NO pilot/co-pilot flight, probably not able to run 'smoothly' on your system. Need more RAM. Moderate learning curve, U.S. manual is missing a couple of chapters.

APACHE vs. HAVOC: see comanche vs, hokum above....*smile*

KA-52 TEAM ALLIGATOR: team play, NO pilot/ co-pilot flight, half decent campaign, baby-sitting your team in the sim, decent graphics, Probably wouldn't run on your system...EECH would have a better chance. Big learning curve for team-management, manual is decent, but NO keycard

LONGBOW ANTHOLOGY: No problem running on your pute, pilot/co-pilot flight is possible, connection is 'iffy',but what isn't these days. not really a dynamic campaign, but editable missions and VERY real avionics. Still at the top of many helo-simmers lists. Learning curve is moderate, manual ( if you can find one ) is EXCELLENT.

If you can find Anthology or LBII laying around, I'd get it, but you won't find too many people with it on their putes...especially since they all have EECH or Gunship. Get some more RAM...that should get you in the 'ball-park' for EECH...and the learning curve isn't that hard.

Posts: 331 | From: United States of America | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrahamD
Member # 2889

posted 11-15-2000 03:30 AM     Profile for GrahamD   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You should be able to pick up a copy of Apache/Havoc for a song. If you like this and it runs OK, get Commanche/Hokum later and you will be able to run both together (e.g., fly Commanche in A/H campaigns). Commanche Hokum is a superior product, with better graphics but not higher system demands. But it is similar enough that if you like one, you'll like the other. As always, try demos first if you can get hold of them.
Posts: 40 | From: Loughton, Essex, UK | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
F-16Man
unregistered

posted 11-15-2000 04:46 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok,
I think I'll go with Apache Havoc, judging by the favt that Comanche Hokum might run a bit "iffy" on my system. Will it?

Thanks,
F-16Man

grover
Member # 3714

posted 11-15-2000 01:24 PM     Profile for grover   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Should run fine.
I was running both eech and eeah with a cel466, 64ram, voodoo2 card.
Oh, I am a big fan of longbow2 and would normally reccomend that, but you cant go far wrong with eech either. great sim.

grover

[This message has been edited by grover (edited 11-15-2000).]

Posts: 218 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
F-16Man
unregistered

posted 11-15-2000 03:36 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah,
But what about my specific computer specs? will it run fine on it, or should I just settle for A/H? (Which will probably run fine).

LIONPRIDE
Member # 3534

posted 11-15-2000 04:29 PM     Profile for LIONPRIDE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
F-16...I played A/H on a 233 AMD system with 96mb of RAM and an 8mb vid-card, it ran OK. I BETA tested C/H with a 300 AMD, 16mb vid-card...and it ran OK with the graphic settings on Low. My AMD 500 with 128mb of RAM and a 16mb vid-card runs EECH really good now.

Best advice was said already, try the demos first. They're good benchmarks for how it'll handle.

Posts: 331 | From: United States of America | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
F-16Man
unregistered

posted 11-15-2000 04:55 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lionpride,
The problem is that I'm running low on HD space, and I'm waiting till I get more space, but I want to get a helo sim before then, so I don't want to try a demo.

BTW- My HOTAS is USB. I've heard that EECH has a problem with USB controllers. Can you clarify on this?

Thanks,
F-16Man

Dakota01
Member # 7610

posted 11-15-2000 05:10 PM     Profile for Dakota01   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
EECH is a great helo game but if you decide on LB2 you can get it here http://greatdealssoftware.safeshopper.com/16/cat16.htm?895 Full boxed set w/manual $24.95. I just ordered one and they shipped it that day.
Posts: 18 | From: Dayton, Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
LIONPRIDE
Member # 3534

posted 11-15-2000 09:38 PM     Profile for LIONPRIDE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here is where it gets 'risky', F-16. USB is supported in the sim, but some people have had many problems getting their USB sticks to work.

Fixes range from the simple reinstall of DX7 to the more intricate of changing Bios settings to the USB ports or getting the latest USB drivers for the chipset of the MainBoard.

Maybe you should go 'down' to the EECH area of these forums, post a mesage stating your USB stick make and model and if anyone else has had problems with that particular one.

SOme guys got lucky and it worked without doing any of the above mentioned fixes. Good Luck.

yeppers
unregistered

posted 11-15-2000 10:12 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
don't buy LB2 from that link! http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hartsunlimited/janlonan.html

is better. Longbow Anthology (that's LB2 and LB1) for 19.99.

F-16Man
unregistered

posted 11-16-2000 03:21 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK,
I've decided between A/H (At Babbage's for $14.99) Or LBA (At Harts Unlimited for $19.99). Now, Will LBA work with my ATI All In Wonder 128 32MB? F-15 always crashed my compuuter after the patch for D3D, and I'm wondering if LBA (Another game optimized for glide) will do the same. (I believe A/H should work OK with my vid card and have no problems with it)
So...

Apache Havoc or Longbow Anthology???

Thanks for your help,
F-16Man

LIONPRIDE
Member # 3534

posted 11-16-2000 08:39 PM     Profile for LIONPRIDE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Go with Apache vs. Havoc, I only say this because it's much better graphics, a dynamic campaign engine, and the overall gameplay isn't that far off from LBII anyhow.

You'll find that the wimgmen tend to go off on their own merry way half the time, but hell...wimgmem are for wimps...*grin*

You'll do OK

Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 11-17-2000 11:42 AM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

F16Man,

For your system I'd recommend you try LB Anthology and get a cheap Voodoo 1 card installed. You'll find the ATI cards problematic with a lot of games and you might have a few problems with Apache Havoc/Comanche Hokum too.

Jane's Longbow do work in software mode (as does Gunship) but visuals are MUCH improved with a Voodoo card.

Both EEAH and LB may have problems detecting USB sticks.

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
F-16Man
unregistered

posted 11-18-2000 07:14 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello,
Thanks for all of your help. I believe I'll go with Apache Havoc, since it seems good for my system and video card. However, I found it for $14.99. At this price will it come with a manual?

Thanks,
F-16Man

Dakota01
Member # 7610

posted 11-19-2000 02:17 PM     Profile for Dakota01   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I recently bought Apache-Havoc and there was nothing but the disk. The manual was on the disk.
Posts: 18 | From: Dayton, Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
F-16Man
unregistered

posted 11-19-2000 08:08 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey,
I got around to buying A/H last night ($14.99), and surprise! A fully printed manual plus reference card! Guess I lucked out...

Thanks for all of your help,
F-16Man

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.