my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Gunship! Rocks!

Author Topic: Gunship! Rocks!
The Biss
Member # 3410

posted 10-04-2000 01:54 PM     Profile for The Biss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you think EECH is great, you should try Gunship!
Posts: 141 | From: Wake Forest, NC 27587 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kamando
Member # 6262

posted 10-04-2000 09:22 PM     Profile for Kamando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Drugs will mess u up like that
Ceebee
Member # 1216

posted 10-05-2000 02:27 AM     Profile for Ceebee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What ever pulls his pud!
Posts: 433 | From: Northumberland, UK | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
the_conquerer_cgi
Member # 7046

posted 10-05-2000 09:51 AM     Profile for the_conquerer_cgi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GUNSHIP?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! The only good thing I ever said about THAT game was "the trees look so real and yet so fake"...
Posts: 299 | From: Ft. Myers, Fl, US | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Biss
Member # 3410

posted 10-05-2000 11:14 AM     Profile for The Biss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just thought it was a little slow in this forum.
Viper18372
Member # 6383

posted 10-06-2000 08:22 PM     Profile for Viper18372   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL, what are you on son,

Gunship! was the worst piece of *-S*-*H*-*I*-T-* I ever bought.

It is embarrasing that I even bought it.

~VIPER OUT

Posts: 171 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 10-10-2000 08:45 PM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
have to finally admit it... GS was a pisser on us all who bought into it. And the company who delivered that piece of shite will not get another red cent of my dough.
I ll wait for an updated Longbow II. hehhehheh It may never come, but here`s hoping

DelphiMT
Member # 5079

posted 10-11-2000 11:16 AM     Profile for DelphiMT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm putting on my flameproof suit, but I've been wanting to post this for awhile...

When I first bought GunShip! I felt ripped off too... but I recently went back to it, spent some time configuring my HOTAS setup and Game Commander, starting flying some campaigns, and guess what? I'm hooked. There are some great things in this game... yes, you don't get push all the buttons like in F4 or work the radar like LB2, but you really do have to fly and use the terrain unlike any other sim (I can't speak to EECH because I haven't tried it).

Gunship really puts a premium on tactical flying and maintaining SA -- you have to really keep on top of where the enemy is and what they are up to, or you risk getting to see an assault on your airbase (very cool to watch).

There are still some things I HATE about Gunship (such as the waypoint system from hell), but I encourage anyone who is feeling burned by it to give it a second chance, spend some time with it and you might be surprised.

Just my $0.02.

Posts: 25 | From: Bozeman, MT USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
StugIII
unregistered

posted 10-11-2000 10:18 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey if you like it you like it! I don't see why people have to go postal if someone like's a game that some people hate. Variety is the spice of life right?
IP: Logged
MoZeR
Member # 2917

posted 10-11-2000 10:58 PM     Profile for MoZeR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh heh I have a love hate relationship with KA-52 Team Alligator. It's a ton of fun but it's buggy as hell and after a few missions it gets real sluggish and choppy, no matter what detail setting im using. Too bad they couldn't have just made it like Team Apache except with better graphics and different stuff andthe like. I'm still hoping I'll see a patch for it but I seriously doubt it. I hate it when the devs just go and ditch you like that.
Posts: 61 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ice705
Member # 4800

posted 10-12-2000 05:03 AM     Profile for ice705   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes,I agree ,Gunship graphics are outstanding.Better than EECH.This Sim/game should not be overlooked it puts EEch graphics to shame.I was thinking of commenting on it myself when I read your post.I have EECH and KA-52 as well as Gunship and I like them all.Graphicaly speaking.Gunship got alot of bad press and I think it's a shame because people are missing out on a awesome game.
Posts: 131 | From: waltham,ma usa | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mower69
Member # 7209

posted 10-12-2000 08:53 AM     Profile for Mower69   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ohhhh People Paallease...LB2 is the ONLY helo SIM out there. What's this sad -- and misplaced -- adoration for this HasBlow Crap?!?

------------------
The only flight sim ever made was and is FALCON4.

Posts: 22 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
the_conquerer_cgi
Member # 7046

posted 10-13-2000 12:02 PM     Profile for the_conquerer_cgi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gunship is great for those who don't have any expectations. Enemy Engaged is in the middle. LB2 to many still remains at the top. As for the "realest experience" join the Army helo division. (Of course from what I've heard they don't get to fly a whole helluva lot)
Gonzalo Nieva
Member # 4601

posted 10-14-2000 12:06 PM     Profile for Gonzalo Nieva   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Name that game Gunship almost cross the line of false advertisement. I didnt buy it, but I am pissed too, because the great opportunity loss of a real sequel.

For me LB2 is the best Helo sim out there. This sim offers the best immersion and You avoid to meet a drill sargent.

Posts: 917 | From: Huatusco, Ver. Mxico. | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Todd
unregistered

posted 10-16-2000 12:54 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gunship was a joke when it was first released. I was very angry and returned it as it had more bugs than a roach hotel. I saw it discounted last Friday to $29.00. I know there has been a patch released, so I decided to give GS2000 another try.

With the patch Gunship is a much better product. The pilot controls used by the gunner now actually work. While it may not be in the same class as EECH, it is enjoyable in its own right.

Why Hasbro released it early in its buggy state is a mystery to me. Had they not done so GS2000 would have received better praise and probably sold more copies. As it now stands its didn't sell well and the proposed M1TP2000 was canceled...

IP: Logged
Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 10-17-2000 10:16 AM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really tried to like this game, see the good stuff in it, and it does have some good stuff. But there are a few heli sims *cough*LB2*cough* that came before, that set a few precidents.
While GS definately for me rules in alot of graphics aspects..... I expected the sim controls to be on par with other heli sims that came before. That unfortunately never became a reality.
Before this game came out, many have been dreaming of a LB type game along the lines of LB2, but with updated graphics. It still hasn t happened ...yet. And there is a market for this game... now we just gotta wait till lightning strikes again. lol
But if you dig GS? By all means knock your sox off.

Stuntie
Member # 2941

posted 10-24-2000 01:29 PM     Profile for Stuntie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I bought Gunship felt ripped off. Heard about the patch. Its now flyable but still starts to irritate after a few hours. (try reflying an entire mission because you can't find the very last enemy vehicle, or failing a mission less than a minute into it because your retreating forces the other side of the map didn't retreat fast enough)

Best looker but thats all...

Posts: 70 | From: Bradford | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
turner410
Member # 7225

posted 10-24-2000 05:25 PM     Profile for turner410   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Back when I got this game (when it was released) I was totally blown away by the graphics - the bugs were annoying though.

I've got the patch and am about to reinstall Gunship!, and hopefully it will play a bit better.

Still, it provides a pretty unique experience because of the landscape - it's simply awesome to sneak up through a low spot, behind trees, then behind/through buildings only to hover, lock a target on an airfield and have at it.

Bar none, best graphics. Let's hope Hasbro or whoever sells the engine. I was really looking forward to the linked tank sim...

Andrew

Posts: 45 | From: mount laurel NJ usa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Biss
Member # 3410

posted 10-24-2000 08:17 PM     Profile for The Biss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Righto! I was looking forward to Tank Platoon! as well. Then it got shitcanned. I was just torqued off enough to put this up
http://hasbrosux.homestead.com

BTW, I only posted this thread as flamebait. I'm really surprised that it made it this far.

[This message has been edited by The Biss (edited 10-24-2000).]

ice705
Member # 4800

posted 10-25-2000 09:13 PM     Profile for ice705   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To start off,I am in no way condoning the actions of Hasbro.What they did plain out sucked bigtime.However you people are carrying this thing a bit to far.Get over it.Microprose staff who made this sim did the best they could in my opinion to produce
Gunship with what limited support they got from their own people Hasbro.They, the programmers and staff should be congradulated.Instead they were given the boot.These guys produced some of the greatest sims out there.Falcon 4.0,M1TP2,EAW
all needed patches and upgrades.When the general public got a hold of whatever makes these things tick,they did amazing things with just about every aspect of the game.What makes you think this can't happen with Gunship.It's already sporting all the toys, someone ,Hasbro, just has to release the formula .If you haven't tried it you are missing a good looking, highly detailed sim.Someone will fix it and you won't have it because they sold out in the bargain bin.Out of respect for the people who made it alone,give it a shot.Patches come out of nowhere be prepared.

the_conquerer_cgi
Member # 7046

posted 10-26-2000 07:02 AM     Profile for the_conquerer_cgi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
EECH, the competition for Gunship, was done by a smaller staff than MicroProse, and had roughly the same support, if not less, than Gunship had. Don't defend them. They just outright dropped the ball. I'm just hoping B17 makes up for it.

P.S. F4.0 code was illegaly released, not released by Hasbro/Microprose. There is probably no way in hell the SC will be legally obtained for GS. And, I have played it, through 2 campaigns. Then I removed it from my HD and returned it to EB. It wasn't that good at all.

[This message has been edited by the_conquerer_cgi (edited 10-26-2000).]

turner410
Member # 7225

posted 10-26-2000 04:56 PM     Profile for turner410   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, that's awful nice of you to admit to software piracy. Most people who steal software try to justify it somehow.

quote:
Originally posted by the_conquerer_cgi:
There is probably no way in hell the SC will be legally obtained for GS. And, I have played it, through 2 campaigns. Then I removed it from my HD and returned it to EB. It wasn't that good at all.

[This message has been edited by the_conquerer_cgi (edited 10-26-2000).][/B]

Posts: 45 | From: mount laurel NJ usa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
ice705
Member # 4800

posted 10-26-2000 07:56 PM     Profile for ice705   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who said anything about stealing software "Mr I played 2 campainges and returned the game".You probably burned a copy then returned it.So duhhh!!!
Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 11-12-2000 09:01 AM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If and only if GS actually got "fixed"?? I would give it another go, my buddies still got a copy sitting gathering dust, I would definately take a looksee.
On the other hand,,, it would be a real shame if someone isn`t already developing a heli sim that totally utilizes the [email protected] power of the geforce cards, that would give us {terrains and heli models} that are closer to photorealistic.... but give us LB II like ability to config the sim controls to our liking.

DelphiMT
Member # 5079

posted 11-13-2000 01:31 PM     Profile for DelphiMT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
-YOU CAN EDIT CAMPAIGN MISSIONS!-

A major complaint I've had with GS is that many of the campaign missions are just too hard -- you are vastly outnumbered, and are still expected to eliminate almost every enemy vehicle -- I had missions where I'd expended every weapon on every helo I had, used all my ammo, killed a ton of tanks, and still failed the mission because enemy casualities were "too low".

Well yesterday I did a little snooping around, and guess what -- you can edit the campaign missions to make them more playable. Campaign missions are stored in the Data\Battles folder, and can be edited with notepad. They are in the same format as user-created missions, so you can even copy them to the user mission directory and view and edit them (although it seems like some information gets lost when you save the edited mission from the mission editor).

I manually edited a campaign mission by changing the enemy casuality rate from 90% to 70%, and removing a few enemy units -- the mission was still difficult, but not impossible. Seemed much more realistic, and fun!

The more I've delved into this sim, the more possiblities it seems to have. It may even be possible to come up with a dynamic campaign generator like what's been done with Janes WWII Fighters -- could be real cool.

-DelphiMT out

CEP}I{AHT
Member # 328

posted 11-14-2000 03:51 AM     Profile for CEP}I{AHT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Interesting findings...

BTW you probably know that there are some vehicles and a/c models you could put in which are not obvious or ommited in missions?

How would you propose dynamic gerator might be done?

------------------
IHS=RAF=
KaMiREDs
http://virtalet-RAF.fly.to

Posts: 151 | From: FSU | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
DelphiMT
Member # 5079

posted 11-14-2000 10:46 AM     Profile for DelphiMT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A dynamic campaigner generator could be done by writing an external program that would generate missions for you based on the results of previous missions. I'm not sure if this is possible -- it would depend on whether or not you could get the mission results from GS to the other program. If you have Janes WWII Fighters, I strongly recommend you check out the campaign generator that's been done for it -- it's really amazing.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to edit up a set of campaign missions with what I consider to be more realistic goals and objectives. It may take awhile because I have to play each mission a few times, make edits, try again, rinse and repeat...

-DelphiMT out

CEP}I{AHT
Member # 328

posted 11-15-2000 04:59 AM     Profile for CEP}I{AHT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
RGR that...

well keep us posted please on your progress.
I also find it rediculosly hard somtimes and unrealistic in missions.

------------------
IHS=RAF=
KaMiREDs
http://virtalet-RAF.fly.to

Posts: 151 | From: FSU | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.