my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Apache Havoc in EECH

Author Topic: Apache Havoc in EECH
Kamechan
Member # 6407

posted 08-25-2000 04:33 PM     Profile for Kamechan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've enjoyed AH on and off since I found it in a bargain bin a while ago, despite the appaling (understatement) voice acting and the depressingly blocky 'forests'(I've driven a car around England a bit but have never seen one like these). Eager to take advantage of my spiffy new computer, I cranked up the res a bit and ended up with a very silly picture of a little cockpit surrounded on four sides by fairly nice outdoor graphics.

I've read a lot of good things about EECH and understand that it fixes one or two things relating to AH. I have some questions:

1) Does it have a fix for high resolution AH cockpits or are these obtainable elsewhere on the net (I haven't looked)? What res are the EECH cockpits?

2) From the screenshots and postings on this forum it seems like the forests are still terrible, but is the voice acting better?

I appreciate any info you have time to offer.

Kamechan.

Posts: 11 | From: Osaka, Japan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Spawnbob
Member # 1277

posted 08-25-2000 04:44 PM     Profile for Spawnbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1.) The cockpits are stretched past 640*480 but cover the full screen

2.) the Voice acting is much better, more varied and is actally useful. you can alter the columes for each type of voice.

The forests are the same, but the EECH maps are smaller and more detailed, and less garish.

Also EECH has so many improvments over EEAH that it like a totally new sim.

i.e Campaigns that work great
Multiplayer that works
Great New Virtual cockpits
Great View system, best ever.
Much better Wingman AI , they actually have a virtual brain

Kamechan
Member # 6407

posted 08-26-2000 08:32 AM     Profile for Kamechan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi, Spawnbob,

Thanks for that. Stretched low res cockpits at high res can't be very pretty but it sounds like there are enough improvements for me to get EECH.

AH is quite immersive despite its shortcomings so an improved sim with the same atmosphere seems worthwhile.

Might have to get Gunship too just so I know what all the fuss is about!

Kamechan.

Posts: 11 | From: Osaka, Japan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wulfrick
Member # 4764

posted 08-27-2000 09:10 PM     Profile for Wulfrick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really wouldn't bother with Gunship. It's on a completely different level to EECH. EECH is IMO the best helo simm currently available, whereas Gunshit it quite frankly a terribly arcade game that is filled with bugs and has truly abysmal AI.

PS: The resolutions supported by EECH go all the way up to 1600*1400 if your hardware can manage it....

Cheers, Wulf.

------------------
Make sure the enemy is willing to die for his country. Then you both have the same aim in mind!

Posts: 399 | From: York, England | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jws
Member # 2044

posted 08-27-2000 10:24 PM     Profile for Jws   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Since I haven't been around my computer lately (lack of time), when some free time opened up I decided recently I might want to play a helo sim again.

I reinstalled Gunshi...err Dungship. Knowing how bad it is when it tries to be a sim, I figured, hey, what the heck...maybe it's a decent arcade game! I gave myself invulnerability and unlimited ammo.

Bad mistake. I couldn't even get into it for 5 minutes. It's just THAT bad.

So I bought EECH. I will add my vote to the "This is easily one of the best helo sims ever, and IS the best right now." crowd.

BTW - The 3D cockpits and detail in EECH are simply stunning, and I am still getting fluid frame rates on a 700Mhz Geforce machine @ 10x7 w/ all details maxed. Even when over a city or base.

Posts: 174 | From: Naples, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.