my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » ka52 thoughts

Author Topic: ka52 thoughts
grover
Member # 3714

posted 06-25-2000 03:59 PM     Profile for grover   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I see that a few people have ka52 and i was wondering what your thoughts on it were. I have had longbow2 and got apache-havoc? in a software bundle but havent really played it. (i hate reading pdf manuals)

the screen shots i have seen look really impressive, but what kind of machine do you need to run it? i have a cel466 + voodoo2 64ram. would really like your opinions of the sim and a little bit of info on what it is about.

cheers

grover

------------------
-----------
Its the Instant Kiwi attitude!!

Posts: 218 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
RubenJames
Member # 2645

posted 06-25-2000 05:48 PM     Profile for RubenJames   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Grover,

The first impression I have had for Ka52 TA is brilliant "Stereo Terrain". Next is "Very realistic cockpit". Thirdly is "Action/Strategy hybrid Campaign".

The terrain engine is probably the best I have ever seen in recent years. Despite only 2 theathres are setup for the sim, but the separation of mountains for instance, is very stereoscopic. Buildings and ground objects like small little forrests (possibly about 4x2=8 trees block) are detailedly modelled.

Regarding the cockpit, apart from Eidos's JSF, it's the 2nd sim modelling a shaking cockpit. The cockpit lights are coming out from behind the pilot seats.

You can combine team and give them a full set of wingmen commands prior to taking off and in-flight. The success of each team member counts to your final achievements in the campaign.

I am a bit surprised why people seemed to have overlooked this sim. Possibly because EECH came out the same time as Ka52 TA did.

RubenJames

Posts: 1093 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
RubenJames
Member # 2645

posted 06-25-2000 05:51 PM     Profile for RubenJames   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Grover,

Sorry missed the system requirements. I really don't know the ultimate system to run it crispy smooth. But mine system is

PIII 600E (CuMine)
CL GeForce2 GTS 32MB
256 PC-100 SDRAM
EPox BX6 motherboard (with latest BIOS)
IBM 370910 7,200rpm H/D.

The screenshots you might have seen in "Screenshots Gallery" most likely are my doing. I haven't seen anything else other than mine recently.

Ruben

holbrop
Member # 5101

posted 06-25-2000 07:51 PM     Profile for holbrop   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm running it on a P233 MMX with 64 MB RAM and a Voodoo 3 PCI. I turn the graphics down a bit but it is still stunning ... and it runs OK.

I haven't fully exploited it yet but so far I like it better than LB2, Apache-Havoc, and Team Apache. The detail apparent in the terrain, weather effects, and cockpit are awesome!

My $.02,

Phil

Posts: 201 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
holbrop
Member # 5101

posted 06-29-2000 03:46 PM     Profile for holbrop   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK ... an addition (correction?) to my last post, now that I've been playing Apache/Havoc alot lately.

I like K52 TA ALMOST more than Apache/Havoc. If Apache/Havoc had graphics and action on par with K52 TA ... or if K52 TA had more systems and campain realism I'd really be in heaven. I'm lately finding Team Alligator somewhat limited, but still beautiful and with lotsa' action. If EECH fixes the things I dislike about A/H I'll be hooked on it!

Phil

Posts: 201 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Spawnbob
Member # 1277

posted 06-29-2000 04:14 PM     Profile for Spawnbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i heard this before what do u mean by stereo terrain, unfortunlty for me the demo runs 2 slow on my crap GFX's card. But it might be worth a look.
EECH does improve over all the things that where wrong in Apache Havoc.

[This message has been edited by Spawnbob (edited 06-29-2000).]

RubenJames
Member # 2645

posted 06-30-2000 12:26 PM     Profile for RubenJames   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by holbrop:
I like K52 TA ALMOST more than Apache/Havoc. If Apache/Havoc had graphics and action on par with K52 TA ... or if K52 TA had more systems and campain realism I'd really be in heaven..... If EECH fixes the things I dislike about A/H I'll be hooked on it!

Phil

Phil,

I think Ka-52 TA and EECH each has its own merits. Both have good terrain graphics engine which gives different feel. It's really difficult to differentiate. Perhaps Ka52-TA gives even more stereoscopic sceneries than EECH. But EECH is a truly "Targets rich" environment.

Ka52 TA offers a very good Campaign module. You can compose your own team. But it also lacks of sufficient theatre. EECH provides you with 3 theatres and hundreds of object modelled in realtime.

I still like the graphics more, for instance, Ka52 TA modells each object in great effort:

Check the trees

As to explosion, it's really subjective. I like the way things blasts off in EECH. But Ka52 TA explosion fragments with burning flames on it also renders deeply. And the fragments travels hundreds of metres before they settled down by gravity.

Check the explosion in EECH:

Compare the effects produced by Ka52 TA

Note that the ground artillery was smashed into flaming pieces. Small burning fragments blast out right up into the sky.

[This message has been edited by RubenJames (edited 07-01-2000).]

Variable
Member # 5315

posted 06-30-2000 02:22 PM     Profile for Variable   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ruben,

How do you capture screen shots in Ka52 TA ? I have it for a week now. Good game but just want to play around with some screen captures. By the way how are they posted up here?

Thanks.

Variable

Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 06-30-2000 06:54 PM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Screen-shot key is CTRL G (g for "grab" I presume).

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
RubenJames
Member # 2645

posted 07-01-2000 01:30 AM     Profile for RubenJames   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Posted some new shots to demonstrate the difference between Ka52 TA and EECH. Both are good titles.

Spawnbob
Member # 1277

posted 07-01-2000 10:47 AM     Profile for Spawnbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
very impresive might get it when i get a new GFX card , on mine the Helo's are partitally invisible (demo), so u just see their rotors , weapons flying about weird.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.