my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » You all seem to be EWx Militray:) (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: You all seem to be EWx Militray:)
Cobthaich
Member # 4030

posted 06-15-2000 01:48 PM     Profile for Cobthaich   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It seems to me that a lot of you are all ex military. Could you tell me how your terms were and if you enjoyed the military? What were you all a part of?
holbrop
Member # 5101

posted 06-15-2000 02:07 PM     Profile for holbrop   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes ... I was a whore for the big green weenie from 1985 to 1989.

I pounded ground (11 Bravo ... infantryman) and shot at tanks (11 Hotel ... Anti-armor Infantry, TOW) at Fort Hood and in Kitzengen, FRG. The First Cav was my first experience with the Apache, which had just been fielded. I've been lit up more times than I can remember (MILES) by those scary-ugly bastards. And the A-10 pilots flying CAS were AWESOME! If I'd had more sense I'd have finished college BEFORE I went in so I coulda' flown choppers. But nooooooooo .... I hadda' be John Wayne.

At the time, the Army was the smartest thing I'd ever done. I had a good time and received some much needed discipline. I miss it, sometimes.

Talk to a recruiter and email me about what he tells ya'. I'll tell ya' if he's BS'ing or not!

(Former) Sgt. Holbrook

Posts: 201 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cobthaich
Member # 4030

posted 06-15-2000 02:15 PM     Profile for Cobthaich   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool, sounds great, thanks for sharing that with me Yeah, thatd be great if I could ask you for your opinion if I do speak with a recruiter, thanks for the offer
McCudden
Member # 4526

posted 06-15-2000 03:41 PM     Profile for McCudden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was going to post a few words of wisdom in this thread but realised it would be pointless as my military career is on the other side of the water and of no relevance...Unless of course you intend on swimming to work

Capt R.W McCudden DSC MM

------------------
"Yes,Sir..these helicopters have skis in case it's snowing when you land"

Posts: 81 | From: Perth,Scotland | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ceebee
Member # 1216

posted 06-17-2000 02:35 AM     Profile for Ceebee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ex-Royal Navy here

Former WEM(R) (Weapons Engineering Mechanic/Radio)

With the Navy here you can only sign up for 22 years but you can work 18 months notice ( I was made redundant) due to Trident being phased in! currently (like to think I'd go back, 5 years in SSBNs

As someone said above it was the best thing I've ever did, but its changing and not for the good!

Do as Hopbrop says go see a recruiting officer, I take it your American? if so people may not agree with me here but try and go for officer not enlisted, I was enlisted but really enjoyed it also I had something to fall back on if it went pear shaped!

Hopbrop,

John Wayne could do anything!

Posts: 433 | From: Northumberland, UK | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
LIONPRIDE
Member # 3534

posted 06-17-2000 06:13 PM     Profile for LIONPRIDE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*smile*...I can't say my military exploits are very exciting. I'm active-duty Coast Guard now...and the only "action" I've seen is the occasional boarding of suspect drug smuggling vessels. I've been to Cuba, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, and all up and down the East Coast of the U.S. . That about summs it up. My current duty led me to flying helo-simms due to the rather uneventful life at a land-based billet for a sailor ( navigator ).

------------------
A wise man once said..." To fly is heaven, to hover is divine"

Posts: 331 | From: United States of America | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Scalpel
Member # 1864

posted 06-19-2000 06:42 AM     Profile for Scalpel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just thought that I would chime in with my $0.02. I was Royal Canadian Artillery (reserve, with a few 3 month stints posted to the regular forces) from 1975 to 1980. Funny, it sure doesn't seem that long ago! I agree with some of the other posters that it was one of the best things I ever did in terms of personal development. I certainly enjoyed the experience. I still have fond memories of anti-tank practice with live 105mm rounds! However, in terms of a career I would definitely go officer instead of enlisted.

------------------

Posts: 10 | From: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
K6_Scorp
Member # 4025

posted 06-19-2000 09:39 AM     Profile for K6_Scorp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm a former US Marine that was based in Camp Lejeune, NC for four years...didn't spend much time there though. I was a Dragon, Anti-Tanker. Travel was a big plus, I was on two Med floats (6 month deployment aboard Navy ships in the Mediterrainian Sea) and in the Middle East for about 6 months. Overall, a very good experience, but not an easy one, by any means. If I could go back and do it again I would either listen to my recruiter, who tried to talk me out of going infantry due to my high test scores(GT 140) and do something that could be useful in civilian life or I would go to college first and then go Officer instead of enlisted. The only drawback with being an Officer instead of Enlisted is that you're labeled a complete idiot for the first couple of years, whereas Enlisted are only idiots for about the first year. There's nothing more dangerous than a "Butterbar" (O-1) looking to prove himself.
Pro's
Travel
Disipline
You get to blow stuff up, legally

Con's
Micro-managed
Being in the field (you spend a lot of time in the elements)

------------------
Agile - Mobile - Hostile

Posts: 195 | From: Sunny Southern California | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
patriotSTORM
Member # 1265

posted 06-20-2000 01:07 AM     Profile for patriotSTORM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
McCudden - Please, post away! That DSC and MM look interesting.....I'm all ears

------------------
With a heart of furious fancies,
Whereof I am commander,
With a burning spear and a horse of air,
To the wilderness I wander
-Tom O’Bedlams Song

Posts: 404 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
AndyC
Member # 3677

posted 06-20-2000 02:04 AM     Profile for AndyC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
McCudden.... indeed it does look interesting. I have not heard of those two together for a while. Do tell.

My history, for those that are interested, 13 years on the British Army. I served on all continents of the world. Saw active service in the Gulf, Northern Ireland for two and a half years and various UN peacekeeping/enforcing missions arou´nd the world.

I enjoyed most of it but think the cuts have gone too far in western armies. That is the reason I decided to move on. They are literaly trying to do everything with nothing today. The moral because of this in the British Army is at an all time low, good quality people hemouraging into civvy street where things are much better today.

Well whinge over. I feel much better now.

Regards

AndyC

Posts: 64 | From: Austria | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Thinner
unregistered

posted 06-20-2000 08:05 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cobthaich, allthough you'll hear as many stories of poor duty postings and ratty assignments, or grand duties and wonderful postings, many of us will certainly agree, in retrospect anyway,,that the the military part of our lives was one of the most exciting, eye opening and important times of our lives. The military is a place of wide open opportunity, and what one demonstrates in ability, attitude and intelligence is most often amply recognized and rewards will follow. Like anything in life, "it's what you make of it".
IP: Logged
K6_Scorp
Member # 4025

posted 06-20-2000 08:39 AM     Profile for K6_Scorp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well spoken, Thinner!

------------------
Agile - Mobile - Hostile

Posts: 195 | From: Sunny Southern California | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cessna
Member # 5170

posted 06-20-2000 10:25 AM     Profile for Cessna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dear Sirs-

I'm ex-USMC also- did 8 years of it, from 1986-1994. I was a tank crewman (1811) then I lat-moved to amtracks (1833.) I was stationed at Camp Pendleton and Okinawa, with numerous overseas deployments thrown in to break up the monotony. My combat experience was in the Gulf War; I was with Task Force Ripper, and was on a "line charge" vehicle- an amtrack with mine-clearing explosives. We're the people who "broke into" Kuwait. (This is NOT a safe job...!)

I don't know if I'd recommend a military career for anyone without knowing their personality first. Some people do well in the military and gain from the experience, while some are just not suited to it.

If you're considering the Marines, feel free to e-mail me and I'll try to give you realistic advice.

Posts: 179 | From: Denver, CO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cessna
Member # 5170

posted 06-20-2000 10:28 AM     Profile for Cessna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dear Sirs-

By the way, Thinner, I couldn't have put it better myself.

One thing I often tell people is that the military is "A good thing to have done, regardless of how miserable you were while doing it."

K6_Scorp
Member # 4025

posted 06-20-2000 10:51 PM     Profile for K6_Scorp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Small World Cessna, I was in Tractors (the back). What unit was your platoon packing on their tracks? We didn't have any LVTP-7s with mine plows, we used M-1s and M-60s equipped with mine plows to make the mine field breaches. While I'm thinking about it, I'd like to say to the British...Good Job on creating the "Bar Mine", but please don't sell it to IRAQ anymore. It ended up disabling an M-1 Abrams equipped with a mine plow. It lifted one side of the tank off the ground... thankfully, there was only one casualty to that incident, the tank crewman ended up with a broken leg from the force of the tank slamming back down to the ground. I did hear over the radio, farther down the line, a "dusty mustard mine" was set off, but didn't hear anything after that. We were all MOPP 2 anyways. It's not always fun.

------------------
Agile - Mobile - Hostile

[This message has been edited by K6_Scorp (edited 06-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by K6_Scorp (edited 06-20-2000).]

Cessna
Member # 5170

posted 06-21-2000 10:35 AM     Profile for Cessna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by K6_Scorp:
Small World Cessna, I was in Tractors (the back). What unit was your platoon packing on their tracks? We didn't have any LVTP-7s with mine plows, we used M-1s and M-60s equipped with mine plows to make the mine field breaches.

Dear Sirs-

Small word, K6. I was with a small (big platoon/small company sized) detachment called OCD-1. (Obstacle Clearing Detachment 1) We were a mixed unit of Amtracks and tanks, carrying combat engineers, and the unit was formed a few months before the start of the war. I don't remember the specific platoon of engineers I was carrying (I only carried a few, most of my vehicle was full of line-charge) but they came from 1st CEB (Combat Engineer Batallion). We were pretty much on the front of Ripper; as I recall, we had 1/5 and 1/7 (Infantry Battalions) on our flanks, with 1st tanks and 1st CEB in the center. Whenever the tanks went to the front, we were there with them. Whenever the Engineers went up to clear mines, we were there. No breaks until Kuwait City...

I didn't have M-1s nearby. The only tanks we had were 1st tanks' M-60A1s with blades. (Mine Plows) However, I think I recall hearing about that tanker who broke his leg over the radio net, but I'm not positive. (It's been years) I don't think they ever made mine-plows for Amtracks- they'd use tanks for that because they had heavier front armor, while Amtracks were used to carry engineers and engineering equipment. I personally was on an Amtrack with a triple-shot line charge. If you saw those in action, I'm sure you remember; they were pretty impressive. They make a *big* "boom." Great for clearing mines, but the thought of all of that C-4 inside your vehicle can keep you awake at night...

As to MOPP 2, I really don't recall which specific MOPP number we were in; I remember it felt like MOPP 4. We had all kinds of false alarm radio calls for gas mines, gas shells, etc; so I just kept my mask on. No, it isn't always fun, is it?

Which units were you with when you were stateside? I was with 1st tanks, then 1st/3rd Amphibious Assault. I started off as 1st tracks on Okinawa, then UDP'ed back and forth to 3rd tracks. I never was stationed at LeJeune, always at Pendleton or overseas. My last year and a half was spent as an instructor with Schools Battalion; truly a good time...

McCudden
Member # 4526

posted 06-21-2000 02:04 PM     Profile for McCudden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Andy C and PatriotSTORM:

Thanks for your interest in my career,although me prattling on about decorations might seem a bit pretentious.

I was awarded the DSC during the Falklands bun fight ( I didn't hear when they shouted "Run..there's hundreds of the buggers )

The Military medal was for a small operation in the congo basin in 1985.

Sorry I can't go into details too much on a public forum,but I'm sure you're aware of the reasons seeing I'm still a serving officer at this time.

I was also awarded a further bar to the MM in 1991...I think I was first in the NAAFI queue 3 days on the trot.

------------------

McCudden
Member # 4526

posted 06-21-2000 02:06 PM     Profile for McCudden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Andy C and PatriotSTORM:

Thanks for your interest in my career,although me prattling on about decorations might seem a bit pretentious.

I was awarded the DSC during the Falklands bun fight ( I didn't hear when they shouted "Run..there's hundreds of the buggers )

Sorry I can't go into details too much on a public forum,but I'm sure you're aware of the reasons seeing I'm still a serving officer at this time.

I was also awarded a further bar to the MM in 1991...I think I was first in the NAAFI queue 3 days on the trot.

I apologise to any who think I'm a bit self indulgent by posting this,but I was asked

------------------

K6_Scorp
Member # 4025

posted 06-21-2000 08:01 PM     Profile for K6_Scorp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cessna:
Which units were you with when you were stateside? I was with 1st tanks, then 1st/3rd Amphibious Assault. I started off as 1st tracks on Okinawa, then UDP'ed back and forth to 3rd tracks. I never was stationed at LeJeune, always at Pendleton or overseas. My last year and a half was spent as an instructor with Schools Battalion; truly a good time...[/B]

I spent 4 years with 1st Battalion 8th Marines, Weapons Company,Dragons Plt. about 1/2 of that was spent at Camp Lejeune. We did a couple of Med Floats, a few other little excursions out of CONUS and 6 months in Saudi...well, more like 4 in Saudi and 2 in Kuwait.

------------------
Agile - Mobile - Hostile

Cessna
Member # 5170

posted 06-22-2000 12:04 PM     Profile for Cessna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dear Sirs-

It seems like we were in at about the same time, K6_Scorp, but somehow ended up in different hemispheres. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Cobthaich
Member # 4030

posted 06-23-2000 05:05 PM     Profile for Cobthaich   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Man, thanks all for the replies, I loved reading about all of your histories. Sounds like you all have had a great time with the military Its people like you that I admire for your exploits and courage. I thank you all very much for sharing your experiences.
Cessna
Member # 5170

posted 06-24-2000 09:39 PM     Profile for Cessna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cobthaich:
Man, thanks all for the replies, I loved reading about all of your histories. Sounds like you all have had a great time with the military

Dear Sir-

I hope you're teasing. As I said, "It is good to have done," but to be frank I prefer life outside of the military. I do not miss sleeping in ditches or not getting enough sleep for days on end, to say nothing of hundreds of other things that make military life less than a great time...

quote:
Its people like you that I admire for your exploits and courage.

Funny, I never *felt* courageous. I just kept my head down and did my job. That isn't false modesty, it how I honestly feel...

quote:
I thank you all very much for sharing your experiences.

Anytime. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other specific questions...

[This message has been edited by Cessna (edited 06-24-2000).]

Orion53rd
Member # 2533

posted 06-25-2000 09:44 AM     Profile for Orion53rd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McCudden:
Andy C and PatriotSTORM:

I apologise to any who think I'm a bit self indulgent by posting this,but I was asked

I'm confused: DSC is a naval decoration (officers)and the MM is awarded to other ranks and NCOs. As an officer you'd get the MC.

You must have had a very interesting career path. :|

h.arrier
Member # 4678

posted 06-25-2000 02:55 PM     Profile for h.arrier   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know if your recruitment process is similar to ours here in the u.k. but don't accept that the list of jobs you are given is THE list of jobs that you could do..Very often the recruter has a 'core job'that he has to 'press gang'people into..such as"you are probably suitable for ___________or___________"..insert either realy dangerous mine detector job or rather boring 'safe as houses'job in the blanks.Hold out and you may just get the job you want...er...really?
Posts: 238 | From: Cottesmore,UK | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
h.arrier
Member # 4678

posted 06-25-2000 03:04 PM     Profile for h.arrier   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Orion 53rd...you may be mistaken as I'm pretty sure that the military medal is awarded to all three services..Navy,Army and airforce..Without sounding the least bit pompus and swaggering heres mine (although Andy Cs do take the piss out of them....)
Gsm (about as rare as a bus pass)nato f.r.y.(more common than Maccy d's)

Posts: 238 | From: Cottesmore,UK | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
AndyC
Member # 3677

posted 06-25-2000 11:47 PM     Profile for AndyC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would never take the p*ss out of anybody who earned a medal.

It is true that some people earned thier GSM just sat in an office most of the time. Nevertheless it just takes a second in the wrong place at the wrong time and pfffft. So everybody who gets it earned it in my opinion.

I have the GSM (NI), Gulf medal, UN Cyprus and UN Namibia. Never went to the Balkans, but one of the guys who worked for me spent 3 years out of 4 in my troop in Bosnia. He loved it. Oh well, no accounting for taste.

Where were you in Bos?

Catch you later

Andy C

[This message has been edited by AndyC (edited 06-25-2000).]

Posts: 64 | From: Austria | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
McCudden
Member # 4526

posted 06-27-2000 04:18 PM     Profile for McCudden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Orion:
You are correct on all accounts

I was an officer when I recieved the DSC,as I still am, and I was serving with the Royal Marines at the time,hence the naval decoration.

The MM is the Medaille Militaire and not the Military Medal although I do tend to use the English term to describe it which is absolutely wrong...maybe false advertising

I'm sure I can be forgiven by my multi-national friends whom I served alongside for this...anyway,my decorations aren't really relevant to this conversation thread any longer,so if you wish further discussion feel free to e-mail me at the address given in my profile and I'll gladly oblige.

------------------

[This message has been edited by McCudden (edited 06-27-2000).]

JKT
Member # 5011

posted 06-27-2000 07:38 PM     Profile for JKT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
h.arrier,
I've noticed recruiters do that here too. They tend to "steer" you towards MOS's that either suck and nobody wants or have a high turnover rate to the civilian market. I think if you let them know that you are positive about what you want to do and are willing to wait for openings then they will let you know how to get there. Although they dont tell you much of anything unless you're 17 or over.

[This message has been edited by JKT (edited 06-27-2000).]

Posts: 54 | From: Aurora,Colorado,USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
patriotSTORM
Member # 1265

posted 06-27-2000 10:38 PM     Profile for patriotSTORM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After reading all those mini-bios, I very very unimportant!

------------------
With a heart of furious fancies,
Whereof I am commander,
With a burning spear and a horse of air,
To the wilderness I wander
-Tom O’Bedlams Song

Posts: 404 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
plummerx
Member # 3213

posted 06-27-2000 10:53 PM     Profile for plummerx   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
4 Years, US ARMY infantry 11B. (th infantry (light) 1983-87
It's a hard life. You will be tremendously better off if you have athletic inclinations. The days can be very long. No sleep for 48 Hrs or more happens. Heavy loads, long marches, and being filthy, wet, hot, cold, frozen etc. Like the great out doors? Good. You will live there a lot.
You have to take orders from dickheads quite a bit.
But, you will make friends that will last a lifetime,the kind that hardship forges. You will have experiences you will never forget, and some you wish you could forget. You will do things you never thought you could ever do. It's a life of extreems, but can be very tedious and boring, repetitive and nonsensical. And it can be intensly fun at times. It Is what YOU make of it. When you graduate from basic, you will be the proudest you have ever been. The day you get out will be happy too.

Posts: 570 | From: Graham WA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cessna
Member # 5170

posted 06-28-2000 10:20 AM     Profile for Cessna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plummerx:
Is what YOU make of it. When you graduate from basic, you will be the proudest you have ever been. The day you get out will be happy too.

Dear Sirs-

Plummerx, I couldn't have put it better myself...!

Spins_321_Boston
Member # 5231

posted 06-28-2000 01:07 PM     Profile for Spins_321_Boston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cessna, K6,
Are either of you guys aware of a Tanker names Petrovich? He was probably a gunny.. or maybe a First Seargent in '91 and there abouts... he was out of 29 Palms and was in M-1's. He was Seargent Major at 8th and I and Seargent Major at VMFA-321 in the late '90's.
Oh, I spent 6 years in the Marine Corps and hated every single minute of it! :-)
Just kidding. I started out in '94 as a field radio target. Imagine, going from Paris Island to 29 Palms (Never went to MCT) for your first taste of Marine Corps life.
:-P Hell, imagine if I had gone to MCT. :-)
I spent time in 1/24 and 3/25 with inspector instructor staff... then I went to Andrews AFB with VMFA-321 and bounced around from Adjutant clerk to ops clerk and finally to the ISMO (They were waiting to create a billet for me, because at the time, the squadron didn't rate a computer tech). So, I've been there ever since about '97 as a systems administrator and security manager... and computer tech, and basic operations coach and, and, and... :-)

The kewlest thing about the military, is if you really want to do something, and I mean you really got that fire in your heart and you SHOW them that you wanna do something... your NCO's and officers WILL accomodate you! I wanted to get out of comm and get into computers, cause that's what I'M good at... so I worked my ass off everywhere i went and put in the requests, and they created a position for me! I say this, because usually it's extremely difficult, sometimes impossible to do lat moves... but I personnally think the Marine Corps has far more opportunities then any other service in the U.S. because you've got to DEMONSTRATE you're proficiency to get ANYWHERE... it's almost never easy! But it makes you a better Marine down the line. now, if I could only make seargent :-)

Posts: 41 | From: Odenton,Md | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
McCudden
Member # 4526

posted 06-28-2000 01:57 PM     Profile for McCudden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Orion 53rd:

I've just noticed that my e-mail address doesn't appear in my profile at all,probably to keep the hordes of spammers at bay I should imagine.

If you do wish further discussion on my career or my decorations you may use the ICQ number listed to do so.
From there I can give you my office e-mail at SHQ to vent your sceptiscism if need be.

You certainly aren't the first to question my integrity,nor no doubt the last I'll have to answer to.I should learn to curb my impetuousity when adding those letters after my name on public fora,as it inevitably produces condescending commentaries which I find tedious in the extreme.

I'm puzzling over your logon name,Orion 53rd is an American style moniker but you seem to have a good grasp of UK decorations for the most part.
A military historian or a former military type perhaps?

------------------

2ltviper
Member # 5239

posted 06-30-2000 12:59 AM     Profile for 2ltviper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I spent five years aa an M1 tanker, enlisted at three posts and several deployments. I went to college for two years to finish up my degree and got branched aviation. I am now in the AH-64A aircraft qualification course at Ft. Rucker and after that I will be taking the Longbow Course (in August) and will be going to other places after that. I can tell you that it's been a blast at times, and at times it feels like you're being blasted (or left out in the cold). Right now, life is good (not perfect, and neither is my flying).

------------------
"Hellfire Away!"

Posts: 73 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
huey148
unregistered

posted 06-30-2000 02:17 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hind sight being 20/20, I shouldn't of let my recruiter take me to see "Rambo" the day before I went to MEPS to enlist. the thrilling thoughts of single handedly taking on the world were quickly washed away when I found myself in 11 Booland (11B Infantry, US Army). I had a lot of "fun" in the infantry and learned things about myself that have helped me since. However, very few skills in the combat arms can directly cross over into the civilian sector (see how many listings there are in the want adds for machinegunners).

A career field that i wished I could of gotten into (but I don't think it was around in '86) was 74D (I think thats the correct MOS, somebody please correct me if I am wrong) It is the military equivelent of a systems technician and is taught by instructors from some of the best know civilian companies that deal with IT. With skills like that and 4 years of experience, you could ETS and easily get a good paying job in much of the US.

Don't get me wrong, the Army needs 11B and the like badly, and contrary to what people think the infantry is not a place to put your dumbest soldiers (I had one guy in my squad in the 82nd that enlisted with a masters degree(!?!?!)). The infantry is probably one of the best places to test yourself and your self discipline, but i wish I had prepared myself more for the future.

And I do agree with a statement posted above, you do get out of the military what you put into it. volunteer for every damn school or training opportunity that you can get, even if it is something mundane like a class on how to operate a 3k generator, and attempt to take on greater responsibilty at every chance. Very few people ever get a good career handed to them, make your own.

PS. Don't be a leg!!!

Rocket ([email protected]
unregistered

posted 07-04-2000 01:05 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Greetings, fellow servicemen,

I, too, was active duty Army, serving from 87-93 as a warrant officer and Blackhawk pilot. Served my full term in Germany, plus a few too many deserts in between. I wouldn't trade these experiences for anything.

But as much as I enjoyed the different environments, missions, comeraderie, etc, I've found a home in an attack helicopter battalion of the Army National Guard a much better place to raise my family. AD was really hard on the marriage, kids' psyches, my patience. Plus, the Guard is growing into a much closer extension of the total force, now more than ever, and is extremely professional, competant, and motivated. They'll even help pay to send you to college. I'm liking it a lot.

No, I'm not a recruiter. I'm just a guy who enjoys military life (and getting paid to fly sophisticated rotorcraft!), but not the PCS and deployment hassles. The Guard is a great option. My $.02.

Rocket

2ltviper
Member # 5239

posted 07-04-2000 01:44 AM     Profile for 2ltviper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket ([email protected]:

I, too, was active duty Army, serving from 87-93 as a warrant officer and Blackhawk pilot. Served my full term in Germany, plus a few too many deserts in between. I wouldn't trade these experiences for anything.

But as much as I enjoyed the different environments, missions, comeraderie, etc, I've found a home in an attack helicopter battalion of the Army National Guard a much better place to raise my family. AD was really hard on the marriage, kids' psyches, my patience. Plus, the Guard is growing into a much closer extension of the total force, now more than ever, and is extremely professional, competant, and motivated. They'll even help pay to send you to college. I'm liking it a lot.

No, I'm not a recruiter. I'm just a guy who enjoys military life (and getting paid to fly sophisticated rotorcraft!), but not the PCS and deployment hassles. The Guard is a great option. My $.02.

Rocket

2ltviper
Member # 5239

posted 07-04-2000 01:46 AM     Profile for 2ltviper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are you an AH1 or AH-64 pilot? Or OH-58D? We have a lot of guys and gals going thru transition now for AH-64.

quote:
Originally posted by Rocket ([email protected]:

Rocket

------------------
"Hellfire Away!"

Scout
Member # 657

posted 07-04-2000 06:16 AM     Profile for Scout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to say that MARINE CORPS are the coolest of all US Armed Forces branches(IMHO):

1. They fly Harrier and Cobra.
2. They fly MV-22
3. They will be first to field JSF
4. They are most mean-looking bastards I've ever seen

Seriously, I have seen some USMC MEU on deployement in Negev during my IDF (Israeli Defence Forces) service, and I have nothing but respect for those guys.

I don't wanna flame-wars here, this is just one REMF's opinion, no need to get worked over this

Cheers,
Scout

Posts: 715 | From: Israel | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cessna
Member # 5170

posted 07-04-2000 10:08 PM     Profile for Cessna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scout:
I have to say that MARINE CORPS are the coolest of all US Armed Forces branches(IMHO):

Dear Sirs-

As a former Marine- thanks, Scout. From an Israeli- who lives in a country with a highly respected military- that's a high compliment indeed...!

All times are MST (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.