my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » A card for LB2 AND KA52 TA ?

Author Topic: A card for LB2 AND KA52 TA ?
holbrop
Member # 5101

posted 06-10-2000 12:04 PM     Profile for holbrop   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm slowly going insane trying to configure my old P-223 to run Longbow2 (after a long layoff) AND KA52 TA. I just bought a Voodoo 3 2000 so I can run LB2 in 3Dfx and I just loaded TA only to find I couldn't run it 'cause it only supports Direct 3D (whatever that is). I have DirectX 7a and 64 MB RAM on my system but I need advice on a card that will run 3Dfx games and Direct 3D. Any suggestions? Also, I am quite ignorant of the video card standards (Glide, D3D, OpenGL) and was wondering if someone could explain all this to me. What are these different designations and where does 3Dfx fit in?

Thanks All!

Posts: 201 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Finarvas
Member # 4271

posted 06-10-2000 04:43 PM     Profile for Finarvas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm I'll just explain this briefly as I'm not an expert, but i've picked up some stuff during my years of quaking

D3D - Part of direct X. Fast chipsets are TNT and geforce, however 3dfx does support it
OPENGL - mostly faster than d3d but depends on your card
GLIDE - 3dfx only, fastest mode for 3dfx-cards

Your voodoo3 should work with ka-52 afaik.
Else, you can get a tnt2 or geforce which are good d3d-cards.

------------------
It's more fun to compute!

Posts: 52 | From: Varberg, Sweden | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
holbrop
Member # 5101

posted 06-10-2000 06:14 PM     Profile for holbrop   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got it (TA) to work ... finally. I formatted the small HDD I use for windows and started from scratch. I did the medium install so I only run sound from the CD, and I turned all the graphics WAY down. It stutters from time-to-time but with a four year old machine I guess it ain't too bad.

Thanks for the info.

Phil

Posts: 201 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.