my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Explosive helis

Author Topic: Explosive helis
Mongoose69
Member # 4696

posted 05-23-2000 11:36 AM     Profile for Mongoose69   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi, I was unaware that comanches came with highly volatile touch explosives on the bottom of their body.
I got shot with a missle and it damaged my landing gear. Well I was still flying fine and continued to finish my mission and went home. When I got home I went to land and my heli just exploded when I touched the ground. Now whats the deal with this? Can't I land a comanche without landing gear and not have it blow up? It was a perfectly fine heli, just had a dent in the landing gear.

------------------
http://www.wpi.edu/~mongoose/

TetsuBo
Member # 330

posted 05-23-2000 11:58 AM     Profile for TetsuBo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can set the chopper down w/o gear down. Just be real careful, you'll probably end up with some minor damage.

I think the capability to do "hard landings" would be a nice feature. But then you'd have to have some good work around if you set the chopper down in the middle of enemy territory.
Que: Blackhawk vs Hind

------------------
I am TetsuBo, eater of cookies and souls

Posts: 127 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scout
Member # 657

posted 05-23-2000 02:20 PM     Profile for Scout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mongoose69,

I'm not sure about EECH, but in AH I was able to land sometimes even if badly shot up... It seems that if certain systems of the chopper are shot, no matter how gently you try to land, you become a **** (Smoking Hole In Terrain).

Tetsubo,

Do you know something we don't?

OH, I wish, I wish I wish....

Cheers,
Scout

Posts: 715 | From: Israel | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Spawnbob
Member # 1277

posted 05-23-2000 02:30 PM     Profile for Spawnbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the problem with Landing is that im not used to Helo's with retractable undercarriage, so i might bring them up on take off but many a time ive forgot about them on landing. How i explain that to my CO is another problem.
Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 05-23-2000 02:57 PM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know what happened here.

The chopper took enough cumulative damage to cause an explosion but the damage check on landing finally triggered it.

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
sKiGhDoC
Member # 4533

posted 05-24-2000 09:31 AM     Profile for sKiGhDoC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
to avoid the landing gear SNAFU, i usually just leave the damn gear down. i am not sure, but i dont believe the sim cares (in terms of stealth OR max speed/drag - Flex know better?) also disengage the wheel brake for landing to keep from flipping if you have some translational or forward movement...note the A/P (copilot) alway puts the damn wheelbrakes back ON, so I have changed my gear up/down sound to include a voice reminder to "check wheelbrake off!"

Posts: 48 | From: Ft Hood, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.