my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Time saving campaign tip

Author Topic: Time saving campaign tip
Halo
Member # 4676

posted 05-21-2000 01:09 PM     Profile for Halo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got a great time campaign saving tip. Maybe you all thought of this already, but I can't remember reading anything about it, so here it goes. It's quite simple really: when you are on a recon mission, blast the thing you're checking out to pieces BEFORE you send the recon data. This eliminates the requirement of strike mission, and valuable time!
In EECH everything goes by the book: you get a recon mission (Check out FARP 21!), you send the data (FARP 21 fully functional!), you return. Some time later you'll get another mission (Blast FARP 21 to pieces), you do that and return. And then the insertion follows. Well, if you blast the FARP or whatever to pieces, and AFTER that send the data, you will see the message says the object is out of action instead of fully functional! No need for a strike mission anymore. The Mission will of course still be regarded completed succesfully: EECH doesn't mind what you do as long as you complete the mission objective. Choosing a strike weapon loadout at the start of the recon mission helps...
It maybe is a bit of a spoiler, since all recon missions turn into a strike mission this way AND you sort of cheat the campaign engine, but I think in real life you'd do the same if you could, wouldn't you? And I just got bored of flying the same route twice just to destroy what I had at the barrel of my gun a few minutes earlier.

Bogey
Member # 998

posted 05-22-2000 10:57 AM     Profile for Bogey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know much about real-life ops, but I do think you'd get busted if you did that.
First of all, you probably would take off with a set loadout and that would be checked when you came back.
Maybe someone in the military could answer this instead. I'm just guessing.

However, I do that as well sometimes.

I got one recon mission the other day, to check a group (which it turned out to be) of tanks and IFVs.
The only problem was that they were parked on a taxiway in the most heavily defended airbase on the map.
Now, I hid behind a ridge and checked all of them out and thought "Well, that was easy enough!". But no...
I was 3.4 kms away...
So, I had to fly within 1 km of them, effectively flying to the center of the airport, and, the center of the AAA/SAM ring around it.
Now, since I was in a stealthy configuration I got in and out without attracting any attention. A bit strange, as this was in broad daylight. In real life, I'd have been dead in seconds. The sound would turn heads, and I'd be easy to spot if they looked.
Phew!

------------------
Up there, where the air is rare...

[This message has been edited by Bogey (edited 05-22-2000).]

Posts: 339 | From: West coast of Sweden | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
awj112
unregistered

posted 05-22-2000 01:22 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bogey:
<snip>
Now, since I was in a stealthy configuration I got in and out without attracting any attention. A bit strange, as this was in broad daylight. In real life, I'd have been dead in seconds. The sound would turn heads, and I'd be easy to spot if they looked.
Phew!

I guess you were flying a commanche since you mentioned the stealth configuration. They are designed to be real quiet; I've heard the rotor sound described as a vacuum cleaner. So, depending on what is "going on" at the location you are scouting, they may never hear you.

IP: Logged
Bligh
Member # 4577

posted 05-22-2000 01:35 PM     Profile for Bligh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As an old "ground pounder" I must question send a helo, stealthy or not, into a recon that must be completed within 1km of the objective. Silly to fly in that close. If one needs to "get eyeballs" that close on a recon mission then the SOP would usually be to use a small patrol, lightly armed, very quiet. From a tactical point of view I question some of the missions you are tasked with in EECH.

Regarding wasting a recon objective. IRL, yes you would be relieved and rotated out of the theater if you did this without being fired upon. Recon missions usually come in two flavors: look and see with no contact; and look, see, and whack the objective. If your frag order says look and see then that is what you are to do. You always have the option of defending yourself if fired upon, but to take the decision to take out the objective is not yours to make.

Posts: 13 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Halo
Member # 4676

posted 05-22-2000 03:39 PM     Profile for Halo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info, Bligh. In that case I'll play the game again the way it was meant to be. I already missed the special thrill a recon mission gave me: sneeking in and out unseen. Blowing everything to pieces during every mission turns EECH in some sort of shoot 'm up. And I don't want that. Yep, I already wasn't too happy with my own tip So forget about it. I will. Well, unless they spot me of course: in that case I most certainly will blow the place to pieces

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.