my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Ka52 Team Alligator - another patch

Author Topic: Ka52 Team Alligator - another patch
Jont
Member # 4238

posted 05-20-2000 08:22 PM     Profile for Jont     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ka-52 Team-Alligator

Screen background colour patch

Ever been annoyed/distracted by the 'gaps' in the terrain and the 'cracks' in the sky? (generally showing up in very-light-blue-grey)

These are most apparent in lo-light/night conditions.

Well, this patch doesn't fix them, however what it does do is to is to change the colour that you do see where these 'cracks'/'gaps' are. The colour chosen is calculated according to time of day such that at night the colour 'showing through' is black. The midday colour is much darker than the very-light-blue-grey used in the release version, this works OK, 'cos flashes of dark things are much less noticible than light/bright flashes. Also, the patch detects whether the night-vision-system' is in use and if so uses a shade of green as the background colour.

You might also notice that (if you see this) the single line along the top and left of the screen will change according to the colour selected by this patch (instead of always being the light blue grey).

To apply this patch you need the LGPATCH patching prog as used in the previous FM/Joystick patch.

The following link points to a Zip file
http://www.studioj.freeserve.co.uk/bkg_col.zip

contained within this file are an upgrade (.upg) & downgrade (.dng) patch script for each of the following versions/countries:
UK: UK_bkg.upg/.dng (TEAM2.EXE 2,093,056 04-Jan-2000 15:11:16)
DE: DE_bkg.upg/.dng (TEAM2.EXE 2,093,056 13-Jan-2000 12:31:34)
US: US_bkg.upg/.dng (TEAM2.EXE 2,093,056 20-Jan-2000 14:30:12)

(The DE version is almost certain OK for other European releases of Ka-52 Team-Alligator)

Also there is a file called bkg_col.txt containing mostly this text including the patch instructions as below.

NOTE: If you have previously patched Team2.exe then the date and time values quoted above will only show the date/time of when you applied the previous patch, still, if you did that then you should have no problem sorting out which of the above you need.

Dump the appropriate upg/dng files in the Alligator directory (along with the LGPATCH util). Open a DOS prompt and navigate your way to that directory and type:
LGPATCH UK_bkg.upg <hit return>
(or LGPATCH DE_bkg.upg or LGPATCH US_bkg.upg)
to apply the patch. If you want to remove the patch then do the same but use the extension .dng

It's not perfect but it's a whole lot better than the original.

Cheers
Jont

ps: Zero G/De Janitor, if this patch is OK and popular I have no objection to it being repackaged as needed.

[This message has been edited by Jont (edited 05-20-2000).]

Posts: 83 | From: Maidenhead, England | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
McCudden
Member # 4526

posted 05-21-2000 11:07 AM     Profile for McCudden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you again, Jont for your stalwart work in improving this game.

I have a question if I may?

I seem to have a small degree of missing/non playing sound effects whilst playing KA52,namely the gearup/down sounds and the hit sounds when under fire.
Mostly annoying being the latter as usually the first indication that my aircraft has been hit is my CPG's annoyed Russian voice informing me that he's been wounded.

I'm running my sounds via an SBlive with liveware3 installed,and running DX7.0a
I've tried disabling hardware acceleration from the KA52 main menu and in the ingame options to not a lot of effect.

I've also tried turning down hardware acceleration in the multimedia properties and all I got for that trouble was dumped back to desktop when I tried to run the game.

apart from these missing sound effects,the game runs fine when using 3d sound etc.

I'd be appreciative if you've heard or experienced anything like this or know of any possible cause or remedy.

------------------
"Yes,Sir..these helicopters have skis in case it's snowing when you land"

Posts: 81 | From: Perth,Scotland | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jont
Member # 4238

posted 05-21-2000 11:29 AM     Profile for Jont     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The doctor may be *in* but he might not give the advice you want to hear

McCudden

Sound problems eh, me too, I wonder what it is?

I too tried many combinations of the various configurations - even to the point of forcing my AWE64 to use a specific IRQ (as recommended by the FAQ on the Creative support site) this resulted in a non-booting machine in the end - I wasn't a happy bunny.

By whatever means (I forget now), I could choose either to have good sound in the opening movies and completely crap sound in the game or have very broken/skipped sound in the opening movies and bearable sound in the game. After the non-booting episode I decided to give up changing things and live with the latter situation.

I have found that practically all the English 'radio' samples are badly clipped but that the Russian ones are very good in this respect. The whole Russian dialogue seems to be much more extensive than the English ones and better paced to the action too, just a shame I don't understand it

I attempted to modify the English wavs - wanting to insert space at the start so that there would be less clipping - but found that my wave editor wouldn't save in 4-bit encoding - or whatever - and that the sim balks with other encodings.

As for sound FX, I think I get the same problem. I wish I could help you ('cos it would help me too) but I don't know the answer, sorry.

Jont

McCudden
Member # 4526

posted 05-21-2000 02:48 PM     Profile for McCudden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the heads up Jont.For one fleeting moment I thought it was just I that had this problem.

I totally reinstalled the SBlive today with the latest drivers and liveware3 just in case it was some strange happening with that.

Unfortunately it's not and can only bring me to the conclusion that it's KA52 to blame here.
Even when using Russian speech the sharp clanging of shells hitting the aircraft can't be heard,although the speech is better.Not a lot of point in adding all those fancy schmancy .wav files if they're not used really,or most likely it's a bug that made it through the Q&A sessions.

I'll hold out..minus sounds...till perhaps a patch appears or I grow old and tired and fall over.
knowing the current state of games companies it could well be the latter

I've found to my dismay that the game has a tendency to bung me straight back to desktop too on occasion,namely when I haven't saved that wonderful boot-gnawing mission I actually managed to survive

Ah well,I should know better.

I know enough Russian to swear kindly at my CPG when he's bleating about some papercut caused when a 23mm shell or two comes hurtling in the window,so the Russian speech isn't that bad a compromise for me.I'm only glad that I manage to put him between myself and the unfriendly types more often than not
Thanks again for the work you put in to the game..the flight model and joystick fix works a treat.

------------------

jgrove
Member # 4794

posted 05-21-2000 03:57 PM     Profile for jgrove   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All these problems both sound and graphic have been around since the game was finsihed in Dec last year, yes it took ages for the publishers to release it, in between time they have not patched it in any way and it looks like they won`t. I have KA-52 and the game to me seems un finished with minor glitches in nearly everything. This is only my opinion of course.
Posts: 12 | From: Birmingham | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jont
Member # 4238

posted 05-21-2000 05:23 PM     Profile for Jont     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
McCudden,

Sorry to hear that you're not enjoying the sim as much as I think one should, oh well, never mind. Did you ever get round to trying that patch I did for Team-Apache?

both,
I rechecked my background colour patch again today, comparing the old and new, and found that it makes much more of a difference than I suggested earlier. Flying at dusk/night, the flashes of terrain mesh triangle gaps are much much less noticable now, I was quite surprised by the difference. Has anyone tried it?

Jont

Jont
Member # 4238

posted 05-21-2000 05:56 PM     Profile for Jont     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, and also McCuddon,

this may sound incredibly stupid but I've often been somewhat intrigued by your 'signature', vis:

As I read it, it sounds like it's a jokey comment aimed at rookies maybe. My problem is I truly *don't know* why they have skis.

Can you enlighten me (without making me look too stupid - unless, of course, it really is because it might be snowing)?

Jont

Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 05-21-2000 10:49 PM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There must be another culprit at work regarding sound for I have SB Live Xgamer and do not experience sound problems. On the other hand, one of my other systems has an MX300 (A3D) and does have the popping. By going into the Control Panel and adjusting hardware acceleration to none in the audio properties you will alleviate the problem.
Posts: 48 | From: 5th Special Forces Ft Campbell Ky | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
McCudden
Member # 4526

posted 05-22-2000 07:16 PM     Profile for McCudden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jont,I did try your excellent patch for TA and am most impressed.It's given a new lease of life to the game to say the least.I've also got all your fixes for Ka52 and you're right in mentioning the difference the graphics patch makes..stunning,and a lot less distracting.

The comment in my signature was an answer to a query from a Naval type who was on the same Lynx course as I was many moons ago *sigh*.
The naval ASW version of the Lynx that he had been used to seeing has undercarriage as opposed to the skids on some of the Army/RAF variants,the ones used for training have skids as they're harder to bend on the scenery.

The Naval officer in question asked if the 'skis' were to enable it to land in all weather terrain,which is true to a certain extent,it aids in the weight distribution on soft ground where as 3 point undercart have significantly more ground pressure per square inch,fine for the flight deck of HMS 'Fearless' but no good on the Welsh Guard's rugby field.
There's a bit more to it than that,but that's the main point.

The Staff Sergeant instructor,being a smartarse,gave the reply in my signature.

That reply is now framed and hangs over the bar in the officer's mess in RAF Leuchars in Scotland if I remember rightly.

As to the sound problems in Ka52.I don't have the clipping you mentioned in your post...just the missing sound effects and occasional bunging to desktop.
However,when I installed the game on my wife's PC I found the same problem as you described on her AWE64...but no DTD.
I'm still ever hopeful of a patch at some point as it's definately the game at fault here and not the driver/soundcard.

Thanks again for the effort put into the patches,it's people like you who make flightsims that bit more than they would be otherwise

------------------

[This message has been edited by McCudden (edited 05-22-2000).]

McCudden
Member # 4526

posted 05-22-2000 07:31 PM     Profile for McCudden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks also for the reply,Hatchet.
I've checked all the other possible causes of the DTD likely but it seems to be a sticking sound loop that starts off the game crash.I get no error messages but am left looking at the launcher on my desktop when it happens.The main fault though is the missing/non playing sound effects in the game ie landing gear sounds and hit sounds when under fire.I also sometimes get the hit/rocket launch sounds playing instead of the annoying menu beeps when selecting a further mission...definately the game I say.

Regards to you lot over the pond there,I'll be over there in September doing a 'Comrades accross the water' type of thing(lots of beer accross the water more like )

Looking forward to it immensely..when I find out where exactly it is I'm going...

------------------

Jont
Member # 4238

posted 05-23-2000 05:24 PM     Profile for Jont     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
McCudden,

Thanks for the info on the 'signature', nice story. I don't feel quite so stupid 'cos I imagined that *that* was why they had skis, but was never quite sure.

I'm glad you like the patches. I must admit to being a tad disappointed that others didn't try the graphic patch too. But at least there's one person out there who appreciates the patch, that's enough to make it worth while. Thanks for input.

Jont

opjose
Member # 2924

posted 05-25-2000 10:58 PM     Profile for opjose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To Jont

Just one?

Are you kidding. The patches have made all the difference on earth!

I made the mistake of purchasing Guns**t and KA-52 immediately upon release.

Because of your patch, KA-52 is still on my hard drive.

Guns**t was returned to Hasbro.

Simis should be giving you royalties!

-JMS

Posts: 9 | From: Poolesville,MD,USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sotka2
unregistered

posted 05-26-2000 09:56 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am having very annoying DTDs too. They happen both in missions and in the GUI screens. I haven't detected any rhyme or reason to their cause. Now waring or error messages and no negative effects after the dump. Defragging the drive and reinstallein DX7A didn't help, reinstalling teh latest Detoantor drivers (TNT2 here) didn't help either.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Sotka

IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.