my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » EECH Disappointing terrain graphics

Author Topic: EECH Disappointing terrain graphics
Sagal
Member # 4660

posted 05-20-2000 03:01 PM     Profile for Sagal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is perhaps due to my configuration (K6-2 500, 128 Mb RAM and Banshee 16 MB PCI), but I've found the terrain graphics very disappointing (not better than Longbow II). It's painting and absolutely not realistic at the opposite of F4's terrain. Animated crew and detailed object are great, but the most important thing for me is the cockpit, and what I can see from the cockpit. When these 2 requirements are fulfilled, I can go further and I'm concerned with accurate flight and weapons modeling and dynamic campaign...

I hope that V5 5500 or/and a patch will improve the situation, otherwise I will not go further in studying this sims.

Are you all happy with the terrain graphics obtained with your configuration?

SCoobe
unregistered

posted 05-20-2000 03:15 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am very happy with the terrian graphics. Its perfectly suited for low level rotary wing flight. Im running it with a geforce card at 1600*12000 res and it looks fantastic. Did you compare what you see on your system to what screenshots others have posted? Its hard for me to tell if your setings are not correct or you just dont like they way it looks. Do you have access to a different video card? If so, maybe try that.

Scoobe

IP: Logged
LIONPRIDE
Member # 3534

posted 05-20-2000 06:22 PM     Profile for LIONPRIDE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the terain graphics KILL LonBow2s. I am also running a similar system here...and I think it looks MUCH better.

You also have to give this simm more credit. The campaign engine is far more superior to any of the other helo-simms available right now. Especially with the patch. The guys at RazorWorks are the most professional developers I've run into. They actually listen to thier customers...and strive to make things better at every turn.

I think people must understand that to put in a large number of trees would literaly slow these simms to a crawl. Jet-simms don't need the detail that low-level simms use. None of these helo-simms seem to have a large amount of tree coverage ( i.e: Team Alligator, EECH, AH, or LB2 )...at least not the good ones. Gunship has great detail, but when you get up close to the trees...they look like cardboard cutouts. Starting in the air...close to the combat area is NO fun.

What I'm trying to say is....give these developers a break. EECH is by far my favorite of the 3 new helo-simms out right now. I've never had the opp to fly in a helo, but these FMs in Gunship and TA seem real "wierd". EECH feels far more realistic. The graphics are very well done and not done so sparingly that you can't deal with the fact that tree lines are generaly clumps with the scattered tree onthe edges.

Fly this BAD BOY for a while...and you'll see how immersed you'll get.

NUFF SAID!

------------------
A wise man once said..." To fly is heaven, to hover is divine"

Posts: 331 | From: United States of America | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mispunt
Member # 3500

posted 05-20-2000 06:43 PM     Profile for Mispunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes this realy IS the best I've come across so far. Dismissing it on behalf of the graphics would be a waste....
But apreciating terrain graphics is a matter of taste I guess. Personaly I am very happy with C/H's. The developers aparently decided to go for a more "illustrated" feel when they designed A/H instead of "realistic" one.
And I am glad they did just that because many other developers are blindly persuing the holy grail of photorealism through the use of photographic texture maps. And more often than not I think it leaves the enviroment looking a bit "desperate".
Simply because the developers want to use real life source material the textures have to be relatively large and therefore severely compressed.
Making everything look blurry and badly colored. The only sim that I can think of now that did get away with it is Flanker2.
But anyway (ranting on and on) I'm glad the guys at Razorworks stuck to small texturemaps for higher textureresolution.
(great sense of speed through extra detail and it makes everything look so polished)
Okay but why the pastel-ish color palet then?
Call that artistic freedom or something. It works for me....

Cheers

Posts: 182 | From: Rotterdam, The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Spawnbob
Member # 1277

posted 05-20-2000 07:11 PM     Profile for Spawnbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Also the most beautiful sunrises ever and the detail on the individual units is breathtaking.
Also the terrain in CH is the most varied ive seen, from massive towns, fields, hilly vallys, and mountain ranges. Also the Objects ( airbases , factories) blend well with the landscape

Sn00py
unregistered

posted 05-20-2000 09:22 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you are right the graphics are personal taste. But look at EAW, when it was substituted with the terrain graphics from MSCFS, it looks much much more realistic. I personally like Longbow2, Falcon4 type of terrain graphics. I believe the graphics gives a feel of immersion if it looks more realistic to the actual terrain color scheme and pattern. That's why scan image is better if you use it cleaverly. Anyway, these argument can go on and on, the only way to arrive a great terrain graphics is to ask SIMIS to open up the texture for editing, like what EAW did. And time will proof the best terrain for everyone.
IP: Logged
Skybird
Member # 4668

posted 05-21-2000 12:00 AM     Profile for Skybird   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get a 1 GHz-machine, combine Gunship!'s attention to detailed groundtextures, trees, forest and lightning effects with the valleys and elevations of EECH - and there you go for the ride of your life!
Posts: 208 | From: Münster, Germany | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
jus66
Member # 4211

posted 05-21-2000 03:45 AM     Profile for jus66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes Skybird, you are right. A mixture between EECH and Gunship would be great.
I think, that the terrain graphics in EECH could be improved. The main parts of the graphics engine is still the same as in Apache vs. Havoc. With the next generation of graphic cards at the starting line, Razorworks would do a great job in enhancing the terrain graphics. More detailed textures, more ground objects, especially the forest, river and road graphics should be improved.
Nevertheless, the game is great.

------------------

Posts: 18 | From: Hennef - Germany | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Scout
Member # 657

posted 05-21-2000 05:04 AM     Profile for Scout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mispunt,

You hit the nail on the head. There are two types of simmers with regard to graphics approach - those that like it photorealistic (i.e blurry) and those that like it clean. I for one hate Falcon4 terrain - it looks very low-tech to me with its endlessly repeating texture tiles and crude elevations. From up high its OK... but getting down low is ugly - the buildings seems to be glued on the map, smudgy and with no real proportion to the landscape... Not so with Flanker2 and AH/CH.
Still, I think that photorealistic is the way to go in general, that is, when we can have enough horsepower to chew the hi-res texturing.

Cheers,
Scout

Posts: 715 | From: Israel | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
James Hallows
Member # 2589

posted 05-21-2000 07:15 PM     Profile for James Hallows   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good point. I just got into EECH today and I have to say the mountainous terrain is wonderful. Amazed more so that it runs just fine on my PII 450.

------------------
Fox Two
Thrustmaster FAQ
------------------
[email protected]

Posts: 144 | From: Ipswich, Suffolk, ENGLAND | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Wulfrick
Member # 4764

posted 05-21-2000 09:40 PM     Profile for Wulfrick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love the terrain in EECH. The Saudi campaign terrain is IMO very much like the actual deasert out there, complete with Wadis and elevation features galore. EECH ROCKS, especially now I have my Athlon 700 machine!

Cheers, Wulfie

------------------
Make sure the enemy is willing to die for his country. Then you both have the same aim in mind!

Posts: 399 | From: York, England | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sean Tudor
Member # 563

posted 05-21-2000 11:31 PM     Profile for Sean Tudor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personally I love the graphics in both Falcon 4.0 and EECH. The Falcon 4.0 graphics engine has a great "theatre-wide conflict" look perfectly suited to long distance engagements and situational awareness.

The EECH terrain with its crisp, clean graphics is perfectly suited to low-level NOE flying and stealth tactics. EECH also has *the* most amazing mountainous terrain that is also totally functional.

In EECH the ability to use cityscapes to hide in with a good framerate is also excellent. Whilst EECH may not have the most detailed landscape graphics every aspect of EECH is designed well.

The same cannot be said of Gunship! which has beautiful graphics but little else to make this a worthwhile title.

EECH definitely comes out the winner.

[This message has been edited by Sean Tudor (edited 05-21-2000).]

Posts: 123 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Kilgore65
Member # 2161

posted 05-22-2000 02:11 PM     Profile for Kilgore65     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Go fly in some of the mountains and valleys of eastern Cuba - the EECH/AH terrain is superb.
Posts: 237 | From: Jackson, Miss. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.