my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » EECH Altitude Hold Problem

Author Topic: EECH Altitude Hold Problem
Christ
unregistered

posted 05-20-2000 09:35 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi all,

Has anyone experience problem with the altitude hold? When I turn it on the helo goes up and down like a YoYo by going to 200 feet and crshing down into the ground. By the way I am not going fast and flying on a flat surface. I don't understand the first time I tried it it seemed to work fine. Any suggestion?

Robert

IP: Logged
Spawnbob
Member # 1277

posted 05-20-2000 10:09 AM     Profile for Spawnbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
there are 2 types of Hover control
Altitude Hold ( ALT H )
ALT J inrease Altitude
ALT K Decrease Altitude

Hover HOLD (H)
Stable Hover Hold (Shift + H for Joysticks with throttles )

TetsuBo
Member # 330

posted 05-20-2000 12:14 PM     Profile for TetsuBo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When you want to use altitude hold you have to make sure your vertical speed is zero or close to. Otherwise the helo will bob up and down trying to maintain the altitude at wich it was engaged.

------------------
I am TetsuBo, eater of cookies and souls

Posts: 127 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Skybird
Member # 4668

posted 05-20-2000 12:29 PM     Profile for Skybird   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi,
you are mentioning a major problem with Enemy Engaged, I myself made a complaint about that too. Got about two dozens of messages to that, but none with a remedy. Sorry, chap, seems you have to live with that. Fly that bird on manual, and forget about the auto altitude hold. I wonder, why Razorworks didn't adress this problem. It is well known since Apache Havoc. Watch your six, Skybird out.

Posts: 208 | From: Münster, Germany | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 05-20-2000 04:12 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"well known since Apache Havoc"???

Excuse me, AH didn't have that feature at all , how could there have been a problem with it!?

"no remedy"???

Like said before, fly straight and level before engaging it and it sort of works.

Sure would be nice if it would be less twitchy.

Skybird
Member # 4668

posted 05-20-2000 11:34 PM     Profile for Skybird   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blaze,
yes, since Apache-Havoc: because collective there is straight of the same kind as in CH (I didn't mean the autopilot). Remedy: the autohold only works fine when flying across absolutely flat land. As soon as hills appears (not to mention mountains), the described problem begins to impact the game. Still comrades? Out.

LIONPRIDE
Member # 3534

posted 05-21-2000 12:42 AM     Profile for LIONPRIDE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SkyBird...take a pill. Relax man.

I haven't had any problems with the stable hover hold. Could possibly be a stick problem. I DO AGREE that it is touchy...but try a different stick if you can Christ. If your using a Saitek stick...good luck..they're very touchy in this simm.

------------------
A wise man once said..." To fly is heaven, to hover is divine"

Posts: 331 | From: United States of America | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Skybird
Member # 4668

posted 05-21-2000 04:10 AM     Profile for Skybird   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lionpride, Lionpride - third time in three hours I'm meeting this man. He proves to be omnipresent. Greetings, big cat! Watch your six, eh, tail, that is. Skybird out.
Christ
unregistered

posted 05-21-2000 09:26 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you all for the info. Anybody here is a beta tester that could inform the developement team of this problem? By the way, do not confuse Hover Hold with altitude hold, it's two different things. The Hover hold work fine. I Also have noted that on flat surface like water it works relatively well, but as soon as the terrain is bumpy it's screw up completly. I hate having to worry about that altitude every seconds. When it comes to helo I am not a flying maniac. I just want to go the the target and do the mission blow up targets and have some fun without woorying about altitude all the time... to bad looks like a great game.

Robert

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 05-21-2000 03:11 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"I just want to go the the target and do the mission blow up targets and have some fun without woorying about altitude all the time"

Why not use the autopilot then?

Skybird
Member # 4668

posted 05-21-2000 03:42 PM     Profile for Skybird   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why not reading a book about it instead?

Sean Tudor
Member # 563

posted 05-21-2000 11:55 PM     Profile for Sean Tudor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Skybird,

You need to be in a stable configuration before you enter any form of hover hold. If you are gaining or losing altitude before you engage HH you will bounce up and down as the autopilot tries to over-correct for altitude.

The automated systems can only do so much - you *will* need to take manual control at certain times.

The automated hover hold works best where you need it the most - when engaging a target or performing a recce from a stationery position.

Cheers,
Sean.

PS. Oh I forgot - if you are talking about altitude hold then if I were you I would simply slide the next waypoint over to where I want to go and engage "G" autopilot - works far better.

[This message has been edited by Sean Tudor (edited 05-21-2000).]

Posts: 123 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Thermal
unregistered

posted 05-22-2000 12:38 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've experienced the same problem with altitude hold just last night. What I believe is the problem is the dampening in the alt hold system, and the computer overcorrects. I'.e its dynamically unstable.

This was also over the ocean.
Engage the _ALT_ hold with a vv of 1 foot/sec (not excessive i would think) and the aircraft reduces power, kills the vv but goes to far the other way, to say -2 foot/sec, then +3 foot/sec then -4 foot/sec etc etc until impact.

Got a digital flcs + tqs - rock solid, its not due to control inputs. Anyway with the alt hold engage, it should really ignore the inputs of a flapping throttle, if you you give the throttle a big enough kick to register, it should disengage the alt hold, thereby removing the problem (and giving you another)

This must be a bug.

There is no way a real commanche would have a system like that.

LIONPRIDE
Member # 3534

posted 05-22-2000 12:44 AM     Profile for LIONPRIDE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Skybird wrote:
Lionpride, Lionpride - third time in three hours I'm meeting this man. He proves to be omnipresent. Greetings, big cat! Watch your six, eh, tail, that is. Skybird out

I just have a lot of time on my hands with the new supervisor position I'm in now. This sure makes my watches go faster...*smile*

I do believe RW is aware of the HoverHold problems with some systems. I myself have little problem with the stable hover hold, but I will look in past messages from BETA testing to see if I missed anything...and if no-one has mentioned it...I'll be sure to let them know.

------------------
A wise man once said..." To fly is heaven, to hover is divine"

Posts: 331 | From: United States of America | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.