my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Sound problems in Gunship

Author Topic: Sound problems in Gunship
Humpty
Member # 4737

posted 05-16-2000 02:37 AM     Profile for Humpty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone else getting vast sound trouble in Gunship? Right from the opening AVI the sound warbles and echoes ( hard to explain properly ) making the game impossible to play.

I'm packing a P2/500, Voodoo3, SBLive!, SB16, Adaptec 2940, 256MB, SCSI CDROM. I've taken out each sound card individually, swapped the Voodoo for a TNT2, removed the SCSI card and used an IDE CDROM instead but nothing helps. I've de/reinstalled the game and checked all my drivers DX etc. Nothing helps. All other games ( and I've got a lot ) are fine.

Any help? I just want to wander around shooting tanks for a bit.

MikeToth
Member # 762

posted 05-16-2000 06:06 AM     Profile for MikeToth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My advice - scrap Gunship and get Comanche
Hokum......... it has nice graphics, but
that's about it (IMHO)...... have a great
day

Mike
Cleveland Ohio

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
soundadvice
unregistered

posted 05-16-2000 08:36 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The only sound i heard in gunshit was when i put the cd back in the box and said "give me my money back please"
IP: Logged
KDC
Member # 3407

posted 05-16-2000 09:50 AM     Profile for KDC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Humpty - aren't you glad you asked? Nothing like asking a legitimate question, only to have some morons attack the game. Really guys, does this help?

Humpty, sorry I cant's help you out - maybe someone can....?

Posts: 57 | From: Princeton,NJ | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
soundadvice
unregistered

posted 05-16-2000 10:10 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought it was good advice. But wait, you had to write to tell him you couldn't help. Talk about a moron.
Humpty
Member # 4737

posted 05-16-2000 10:22 AM     Profile for Humpty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Let's assume, just for laughs, that I'd like to make my own mind up. Maybe it's great, maybe it isn't. Maybe I don't have the time to learn to fly a real helo. Maybe I'm just out for a bit of fun. Perhaps I wouldn't recognise a dodgy flight model if it dropped out of a tree and crapped on me.

Anyone out there with practical advice?

Ken Wright
Member # 3550

posted 05-16-2000 02:57 PM     Profile for Ken Wright   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Humpty

I see you're pretty new round here - just like me. Unfortunately this forum seems populated by characters that have obviously got an insecurity problem - constantly having to tell everyone how clever they are/were by not buying Gunship. Like I've said before, it never fails to amaze me that they can reach the keyboard what with one hand's knuckles scraping on the ground and the other permanently attached to their groin. Sorry to lower the tone, and I know it shouldn't get to me, but these characters seem to have a moth-like attraction to the 'Gunship' sim - all with nothing new to say.

As for the sound problem, you have me baffled. I have also got the SBLive card, with the latest drivers etc. and have experienced no problems at all. You seem to have done all the obvious things. Have you tried running it with JUST the SBLive card in?

Cheers
Ken

[This message has been edited by Ken Wright (edited 05-16-2000).]

Posts: 89 | From: Leicester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
KDC
Member # 3407

posted 05-16-2000 05:46 PM     Profile for KDC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SoundAdvice - I admit it, I just wanted to point out how useless, pointless and just really a waste of time your post is - including your second one. Maybe one day this forum can rise above the ridiculous waste that SO MANY of the posts contain.
LIONPRIDE
Member # 3534

posted 05-16-2000 05:59 PM     Profile for LIONPRIDE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From what I understand....we're all helo-pilots right? We've all seen one go by our house once or twice. I think that MORE than qualifies us to attack a games "realism". $hit....I even sat in one while on vacation...I'm a god-damn professional, all-knowing, helo-expert now.

I too can't really help with his GUNSHIP problem. but I did fly the DEMO an was ammused by its style. Hope somone finally does give yah a dtraight answer.

------------------
A wise man once said..." To fly is heaven, to hover is divine"

Posts: 331 | From: United States of America | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Humpty
Member # 4737

posted 05-17-2000 02:27 AM     Profile for Humpty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Never did find out the cause. Even with only the SBLive or SB16 in, it still did it. A fresh install of Windows ( with all hardware in place ) sorted it out. I've even managed to get my MSFF wheel and Logitech joystick to co-exist happily. Just wish Gunship would let me choose which one to use, or allow me to configure it. Seems like an entertaining diversion though.

Still, it's something I should have done ages ago so I'm happy. Thanks for the positive comments.

soundadvice
unregistered

posted 05-17-2000 08:32 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My first post was an attempt at being funny. I feel sorry for those of you without a sense of humor. Life must really be hard. As for my second post, that was in response to the dlckhead who called me a moron. I didn't attack anyone personally and if you feel the need to hide behind your computer and call people names little man you go right ahead if it makes you feel like a big man.

I am glad that Humpty was able to work out his problem. I hope he enjoys Gunship for a long time.

soundadvice
unregistered

posted 05-17-2000 08:36 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One more thing. I will completely ignore the remarks from the person from the UK. I know they don't have a sense of humor. I've seen British TV before.
KDC
Member # 3407

posted 05-17-2000 09:29 AM     Profile for KDC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Looks to me like your the one hiding since your unregistered...my point was that the poor guy was looking for some help, not a commentary on a game he had already purchased.
Ceebee
Member # 1216

posted 05-17-2000 09:40 AM     Profile for Ceebee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Soundadvice,

What country are you from? Can't tell from your post. I agree that British TV sometimes can be kinda crap (Eastenders has to be the worst), but you look at Red Dwarf (maybe that kinda humour is too subtle for you) or Men behaving Badly. Two of the funniest shows ever created.

Unfortunatley I don't know where your from to take the pi$$ out of your countrys shows! but I bet you like ALF and My two dads!

Posts: 433 | From: Northumberland, UK | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Yorkshire Tea
Member # 170

posted 05-17-2000 10:43 AM     Profile for Yorkshire Tea   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ceebee,

Don't forget British TV has Chris Morris
The Day Today is the funniest thing ever...

Posts: 315 | From: leeds | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
soundadvice
unregistered

posted 05-17-2000 10:44 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually I like reruns of "My Mother the Car" and "The Honeymooners". (Just kidding)

Actually, the best thing to come out the UK was "Monty Pythons Flying Circus".

Oh by the way, I'm from the USA, and I will say it for you, TV sucks here also. If it wasn't for the Discovery Channel, I probably wouldn't watch any TV.

I'm not about to get into a pissing match over TV or Gunshit or anything else, so I will say good-bye.

Ceebee
Member # 1216

posted 05-17-2000 12:06 PM     Profile for Ceebee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gooooooood Bye!

Posts: 433 | From: Northumberland, UK | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ken Wright
Member # 3550

posted 05-17-2000 12:30 PM     Profile for Ken Wright   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Soundadvice

Just a bit of 'sound advice' - don't assume you can guess someone's nationality just based on where they are registered. And I promise I won't think of you as a moron either

More importantly, congrats Humpty. Happy huntin' !

Cheers
Ken

Posts: 89 | From: Leicester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.