my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Saitek X-36 with CH

Author Topic: Saitek X-36 with CH
Stinger66
Member # 4655

posted 05-15-2000 07:27 AM     Profile for Stinger66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am needing a new joystick and I think I have decided on the Saitek X-36 with throttle.But I want rudder pedals too.I've been looking around and the only joystick that comes with a throttle and rudder pedals is one made by Thrustmaster.I don't like the joystick or throttle in this config.Is there anyplace I can just buy the pedals seperate.Also will they work with the saitek?I have 2 USB ports.
Finarvas
Member # 4271

posted 05-15-2000 01:00 PM     Profile for Finarvas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Some cheap racing wheels come with pretty good pedals, and usually you can just plug in a joystick instead of the wheel.
Posts: 52 | From: Varberg, Sweden | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stinger66
Member # 4655

posted 05-15-2000 03:48 PM     Profile for Stinger66   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ohhhhh......Ok,Any more "good" suggestion?
BladeRunner
unregistered

posted 05-17-2000 07:28 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Stinger!

X36 is the best choice you could haver made!
If you didn´t know till now, the thrust-stick
already has an analoge double-switch, designed to funtion as rudder control. Thy
work pretty good. I´m very satisfied!
I was glad about this feature of the X36-System because I spend a lot of time, searching for some good rudder paddels. I finally decided to design them on my own sometime, because I couldn´t get warm with the products on the market!
(Too much plastic and not very reliable)

If there´s still some questions bout the X36
you can throw me a line at [email protected]

IP: Logged
Biner
Member # 3176

posted 05-18-2000 08:52 AM     Profile for Biner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I seem to remember something along the lines that unless the game is designed to accept two controllers - USB and gameport (and most aren't - including EECH?) then your pc will only pick up one or the other. That is, an old (non usb x-36) will work but a usb x-36 won't work b/c the rudder pedals aren't piggybacked onto the system. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong - and I hope that I am.
sixball
Member # 4771

posted 05-18-2000 09:14 AM     Profile for sixball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the x36 has a rudder switch on the trottle and is pushed with the figures that wrap around the trottle. It works very well for Helos. I like it better than the old foot ones

Also unless its a USB rudder peddles it isn't going to work to add a third party's peddles. Also the game has to be programed , has someone else stated, for two controller.

Posts: 8 | From: sara | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Timmer
Member # 4250

posted 05-18-2000 09:31 AM     Profile for Timmer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know if this has been said here before but I've gotta say that CH (the sim) ROCKS!!!! ESPECIALLY since it's already got a killer SGE for the digital x36 on the CD,with(get this) a Word command sheet courtesy of Kurt "Froglips" Giesselman!!!

I am so psyched that I don't have to start from scratch on programming the x36 Hotas for this killer sim. Thanks Froglips! wherever you are.

Tim

Posts: 14 | From: Davis, CA, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hellfire Away
unregistered

posted 05-19-2000 07:17 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Comanche doesn't have rudder pedals, does it? The manual say it uses a twist-action on the cyclic stick?
IP: Logged
Polecat
Member # 4602

posted 05-20-2000 07:48 AM     Profile for Polecat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The X36 is a good choice in its price range, possibly the best choice for $99.00, but IMHO
Thrustmaster rules. I have the F22Pro TQS RCS (With the Digital Chips) As well as 2 FLCS/2TQS and 2 Elite RCS for my other puters (I have three on lan). This gear has held up very well over the years and is simply the best HOTAS around (If you can afford it and if you can find it).
Polecat out

Posts: 31 | From: Nashua NH | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Deep Slumber
Member # 3294

posted 05-20-2000 03:55 PM     Profile for Deep Slumber   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hellfire Away: nope, the Comanche, such as all other helos I know, uses rudder pedals of course. You can even see the pilot using them when you look down a bit in cockpit view (talking highest detail settings here, dunno about lower ones). You probably read over some section in the manual that talked about the Microsoft Sidewinder joysticks, which have a built-in rudder function that you can use by twisting the stick (I always found that a bit annoying to be honest).
Posts: 62 | From: Hagen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ms_pookie
Member # 4763

posted 05-20-2000 05:52 PM     Profile for ms_pookie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hellfire, I believe you are correct. The real comanche has a twist-action stick that controls yaw. (kinda like using an MS Sidewinder Pro).

This information was gleaned from the documentaries I have been watching on the Discovery Channel.

Posts: 251 | From: Charlotte, NC, USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
LIONPRIDE
Member # 3534

posted 05-20-2000 10:59 PM     Profile for LIONPRIDE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DeepSlumber....I also believe that the yaw in the Comanche is controled by the stick. This is from reviewing data from many different Boeing documents. But just because the Simm shows it...doesn't mean it's so.

As for controlers for flying. If your looking for a "cheap" alternative to use as a rig...I have the most bastardized rig you could probably get. An F16 Combat stick by CH...a set of Thrustmaster Elite rudder pedals and a CH throttle. It all cost me in the neighborhood of about $130.00 U.S.

Not bad....works pretty well...except I have to reprogram the throttle everytime I want to change around the settings for the buttons. In DOS no less.....*smile* All this runs on a 15in monitor.

You can always find stuff for a good price at pricewatch.com . That's where I get most of my gear. Look around...and be sure to call vendors first...to see if it's in stock.

------------------
A wise man once said..." To fly is heaven, to hover is divine"

Posts: 331 | From: United States of America | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.