my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Does Weapons Free do anything?

Author Topic: Does Weapons Free do anything?
Snake
Member # 696

posted 05-14-2000 12:56 PM     Profile for Snake   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I usually complete my missions objectives pretty easily and then I go pot-hunting. Sometimes I go over an enemy military base and tell the wingies weapons free. Shouldn't they start blasting the thing to bits? I have to manually make them attack things. Very boring.
Any views?

Posts: 144 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Nolan
Member # 1753

posted 05-14-2000 01:08 PM     Profile for Nolan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the weapons free mode lets your wingmen attack the primary target at will, but I'm not sure.

Could be interesting to know though.

/Nolan

Posts: 307 | From: Lund, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Deep Slumber
Member # 3294

posted 05-14-2000 03:56 PM     Profile for Deep Slumber   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am also slightly confused about the weapons free command.

I discovered that your wingmen will never open fire at anything unless you tell them to do so. Even if you fly over an enemy FARP or something and tell them weapons free, they will not do anything. If you target an object and tell them to attack it though, they will do it (oh hell yeah will they do it).

I agree with Nolan. When you are for example on a strike mission to an enemy military base and approach your firing position and your wingmen did the same, they will wait until you give them the "weapons free" command. Once you do that, they will start attacking the base and blow it to pieces. I think you could say it is a "go" command that only applies to the mission's primary target. Dunno if it works the same on a normal CAP mission though.
If you issue the weapons free command before you even reach your firing position, your wingmen will go and attack the primary target at once without any delay.. but I don't know if that is a good thing to happen, since I personally like to have at least SOME coordination in my attacks

Posts: 62 | From: Hagen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 05-14-2000 04:54 PM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Free/Hold detrermine how they respond in certain situations.

On the target waypoint, if they are cleared to fire, they carry out the mission as briefed. If you don't want them to do that and want to control the engagement then you have the commands to do so. Explicitly issue weapons hold if you don't want them to attack as planned.

Also be wary of having your RETURN waypoint selected when issuing orders. If it is, step back the waypoint.

Weapon hold also permits the use of the bob-up (and attack) when wingmen are located in a firing position. When issuing an attack order, the target must not be indirect line of sight to them, if it is, they will open fire.

Other actions/responses also depend on the weapon status but I don't feel like writing a book about it right now.

(There are a lot of conditions in the logic)

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.